In search for mighty GPU/PCB bakers

Hello, dear friends.

For too long, I have been scavenging Ebay for a GPU, but a few days back, my eyes glided over what I have been looking for. A dead 7990.

The price was $20, and the seller described it as broken, but for the price, my instinct took control over me. A few clicks and I get a GPU at my doorstep.

I nervously slam it in my pc, power it... it boots. But now, the real challenge is here, the drivers (dun dun)
So I get the latest drivers, install them AAANNNDDD no display. Do it again. No display. Once more with an older driver? Dead.

So I started thinking deeper *and deeper* and went in safe mode. Disabled the first Gpu, and only then would I realise that.............. it's still dead. Done the same thing, but I disabled the second GPU and finally got the fcker working.

I am seeing situation like this. Either the second card is irrecoverable or, with the blessing of soldering material melting temperatures, I might recover the whole thing.

Can anyone, who has ever done this share with me his/hers/(it's?) results? The succes rate? Anything?

I am thinking of a nice isopropyl alcohol bath for tommorow night and some nice butt(thermal) paste change, but now I ll go get some sleep. Love you. Bye.

Did you buy one or two? "Second GPU" and "first GPU" are what? Integrated, or are you trying to run 2 PCIe GPUs?

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Did you buy one or two? "Second GPU" and "first GPU" are what? Integrated, or are you trying to run 2 PCIe GPUs?

The 7990 is a dual 7970 :p. That s where the win/loose ratio comes from

Ah... my bad. I'd forgot some of the old dual cards were shown as two cards in the old drivers/setups...

Is it driver specific? It may not be a hardware fault? What PSU do you have?

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Ah... my bad. I'd forgot some of the old dual cards were shown as two cards in the old drivers/setups...

Is it driver specific? It may not be a hardware fault? What PSU do you have?

You have to beleve me here. It's hardware related. I did everything I could in software related tricks/workarounds. For the clearup, it s a gold rated 650w PSU

Have you checked that the two GPUs are on the same driver version? I recently had issues getting a 1070 recognized in an SLI config because of that. DDU wouldn't work. I believe what finally fixed it was disabling one gpu, rebooting, updating for the one gpu, then rinse and repeat. If you can't boot on one core, maybe integrated graphics would work to troubleshoot?

Edit: Device Manager was my best friend during this process so I could see what version each core was on.

Making RPG video games :P
https://twitter.com/ContentKubes

Current Build: MSI X299 Raider | Intel Skylake-X 7820X@Core-4.6GHz EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070  | Corsair Force MP500 120GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (x 2) | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB@2666MHz

Build when I created my LTT forums account: GA-78LMT-USB3(r6) | AMD Athlon II X4 630 @3.49GHz | Zotac nVidia GTX 560 @882MHz/1764MHz/2204MHz | WD1600AAJS 160GB | Avexir 1x4GB DDR3 1600MHz