What all is required for transferring an existing Windows install to a brand new machine?

Xanthe_2871

Hello. A friend of mine is getting tried of their old computer and wants me to build them a new one. I'm happy to do this, but they want their exact same experience in Windows on the new machine. They are currently using Windows 10. I've done some research online and it seems this can be done, but it's not a simple as just popping the old hard drive into the new computer and turning it on. 

I'm ok with buying a new Windows license. I understand the OEM one that came with his prebuilt PC won't work in this new computer. But I don't understand how to mess with drivers and whatnot. 

I also need to make sure this new computer doesn't affect his installed software. He has several programs with genuine licenses but no physical paper or email or login to recover his keys for a new install. I want to do everything I can to make this new custom built PC look and feel like his old one, with all the same photos and documents and emails and programs, but in a new machine running faster. 

What do I need to do to achieve this?

P.S: I am willing to buy specific hardware if needed. If there is some motherboard or CPU or whatever that is easier to work with in this situation, I'll buy that one.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

8 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

several programs with genuine licenses

Many programs will deactivate if they move to a different hardware, so check for that amd make sure you have a way to reactivate.

8 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

but it's not a simple as just popping the old hard drive into the new computer and turning it on. 

Try this first good chance it will work fine.

what are the old and new systems?

I was able to carry forward my Windows 10 install from my i5 4690k to my new i7 8700k build with no obvious issues. It's not recommended but can easily be done, you may need to boot into safe mode to remove old LAN, Audio and Video drivers (Use DDU) if you are changing graphics card.

The only issue I had was Windows 10 being unable to contact the Licensing Server but through enough calls to Microsoft support they were able to revoke my old key and generate another. Make sure you're transferred to the 'Moving forward' or something team and not marketing.

You are correct in assuming that the computer from the store will not allow you to transfer the Windows 10 key  ( OEM ).

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Many programs will deactivate if they move to a different hardware, so check for that amd make sure you have a way to reactivate.

Try this first good chance it will work fine.

what are the old and new systems?

The most important is Outlook 2010. That was activated by some sympathetic Microsoft phone rep when my friend called up all panicked about his new machine not coming with outlook. The rep, she somehow had a valid key for 2010 and gifted it to him. But we don't have that key. She did it all remotely. 

He also has a few different versions of Photoshop Elements, Paintshop, and I believe he has Word 2007. 

The old system is a prebuilt HP, some low end machine with upgraded 12 GB ram but otherwise the same as when he bought it. i3 processor, I think. New one I have no idea. I was planning on driving to Microcenter and building based on whatever was on sale. He's not too picky. It just needs to be faster than what he has now. i5 would probably be plenty. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 hour ago, SethKraota said:

I was able to carry forward my Windows 10 install from my i5 4690k to my new i7 8700k build with no obvious issues. It's not recommended but can easily be done, you may need to boot into safe mode to remove old LAN, Audio and Video drivers (Use DDU) if you are changing graphics card.

The only issue I had was Windows 10 being unable to contact the Licensing Server but through enough calls to Microsoft support they were able to revoke my old key and generate another. Make sure you're transferred to the 'Moving forward' or something team and not marketing.

Excellent, thank you for the advice!

The jump might be too big for things to go smoothly. If you end reinstalling OS, most of the software will need to be reinstalled also. You can try to recover entered keys with software such as MagicalJellyBean. It should work with Office 2007, I don't know about Adobe's stuff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv