Problem with new lens

So I'm currently using a Canon T6/1300D and I got a new lens the Canon 28mm f2.8 however when ever I take a photo or use the view finder it looks grainy and blurry and its says it is F.00, is there a way to fix this ?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Not much to go on there. Need more details. What's the full model of the lens? Samples? With settings used if possible.

The F.00 part suggests to me the aperture is malfunctioning in some way. Either electronics or mechanics. If it is new new, back to the store for replacement might be a consideration.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, porina said:

Not much to go on there. Need more details. What's the full model of the lens? Samples? With settings used if possible.

The F.00 part suggests to me the aperture is malfunctioning in some way. Either electronics or mechanics. If it is new new, back to the store for replacement might be a consideration.

FD 28mm F2.8 serial number of 260479 so pretty old

Not sure if this is what you meant by sample but here shot it in F5.6 shutter of 125 and 800 iso I used the entire focus ring and nothing was in focus

NayhC8PhSSIikK7PRE3fzJjj0yCuy7SoueAqvBJimynKFBYskx75xn09DyNucYXzhcdtCdk5N2X9Vk_6EivMij6IOG4AFb5aUbcWZb3ANvNjB58M0LPlY5xtMP884hGb7_OAF9_dEh7Skl4vHa9EeYryoA_2syZ5PEZAfeP_bHYmL5nSGydh0SFtmZLI6r6cyBlyzlptPal5TJNnDtA7Y6pshMtxKP7-Qu_CaUWsf0JbNTW1B0JfpH1xFjpJ6H6GB1I0BukqZ6h9Z_OUG6H8sQfMfpo-2SNEEF9w-VaaVfIJIppMqYY5GrmCrqmbMlFXVWzU9O04JWMyUfMEKpN37QZT4XRi4C4JMUTJa5eRjwJBevT1CY-HbX_bPvvQ-nEFRAFjusM8QLntOTqSiGWMKQr86v9rV1RfESIiBLVtFCcqlUWcWATbVxC8rMSEDYPkz8JhML1yeApEdsqfL_PUQ1MtDMaPlC1ubIF9SNgXwSLjeYit1d3GMiJUWsEF8GyAgn001jmW2x-_hhm9pVRgD7vLuejM3ikuuucrtMXG4gtF9-qF02jkH8cOn4l9-Ec4PzaI33W5pMaRMP4kJtypOLBFIAFXgDgMXvX80ys=w1170-h780-no

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Not sure if this is what you meant by sample but here shot it in F5.6 shutter of 125 and 800 iso I used the entire focus ring and nothing was in focus

how do you mount the FD lens on a Canon EOS body? don't adapters need to be used?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

37 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

how do you mount the FD lens on a Canon EOS body? don't adapters need to be used?

Yeah, I used an adapter

What adapter? You could have gotten a bad one that got the wrong distance which would fuck up focusing. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Also, camera showing f 00 just means that the adapter/lens doesn't tell the camera apeture information.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Ok that explains a lot. FD mount is closer to the body than EF mount. Basically any adapter you use will work like extension tubes in moving the lens out further than it expects to be. You gain close focusing range, but lose the ability to focus at far distances. How much depends on the lens and extension amount. To look at it another way, you got yourself a wide angle macro lens.

Some FD adapters come with optical elements inside which can correct for it, but then depending on how much money you throw at it is what sort of quality you get. From memory they also work as mild teleconverters, so not an ideal choice for wide angle.

If you want to mount non native lenses onto Canon EF bodies, Nikon ones are a better choice. It is tight but adapters exist for it that retain infinity focus.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

What adapter? You could have gotten a bad one that got the wrong distance which would fuck up focusing. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Paddsun-FD-EOS-Adapter-Mount-Lenses/dp/B01IBFHAIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1526038957&sr=8-5&keywords=fd+to+ef+adapter

4 hours ago, porina said:

Some FD adapters come with optical elements inside which can correct for it, but then depending on how much money you throw at it is what sort of quality you get. From memory they also work as mild teleconverters, so not an ideal choice for wide angle

I actually didn't really plan to use it as a more portrait lens because the 1.6 crop it goes to ~45mm 

1 hour ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I’d guess the adapter is bad. That it got the wrong distances which would make the focus a bit off. 

22 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

I’d guess the adapter is bad. That it got the wrong distances which would make the focus a bit off. 

It is impossible to get the right distances with a non-optical adapter to allow FD lenses to be used on EF bodies, as the FD mount distance is shorter. All adapters therefore act as extension tubes, unless "corrected" by optics which then generally turn them into mild teleconverters.

For some FD lenses, people have made mount conversion kits that allow their use, but they are lens specific and you have to swap it yourself.

3 hours ago, porina said:

It is impossible to get the right distances with a non-optical adapter to allow FD lenses to be used on EF bodies, as the FD mount distance is shorter. All adapters therefore act as extension tubes, unless "corrected" by optics which then generally turn them into mild teleconverters.

For some FD lenses, people have made mount conversion kits that allow their use, but they are lens specific and you have to swap it yourself.

I second this. Flange distance on FD is in fact shorter. So no way to just put a ring between it for EF mount. After a quick search I didn't find a conversion kit for the 28mm. So as suggested above, get the Nikon, if you can't afford anything native to EF, and adapt that :)

3 hours ago, porina said:

Of I thought it already was longer, would not try to mount a lens with a shortee flange distance. Does not exist any optical adapters worth getting for that. I’m used the the Sony E mount where basically everything got a longer flange distance.

So if that is the case I’d just sell the lens and either get a native EF lens or find a old manual one with legit adapters from a mount with a longer flange distance. Not worth the hassel with a ”kinda” working lens. If you really want adapted glass mirrorless is the way to go all day. 

Don’t know which ones that would be but the Nikkor 28 f/2.8 is nice if it has a longer distance.  

Ok so bit late to the party here but: 

f/00 is displayed because as far as the camera is concerned there's no lens attached. 

You may be able to gt something in focus if you move closer to the subject at a given focus distance, but its not worth the hassle. 

Also, the focus screen on cameras such as yours is really not that suited for manual focus. It will probably look fine, but its very hard to get it in exact focus by looking tghrough the viwfinder alone. 

Also, dude if you need a portrait lens pick up a 50mm 1.8 its $100 so it can't be more than $50 more than what you paid for the 28mm and adapter and it will be much sharper, quicker to focus and actually produce much better results. Hell you can probably find an older version used for half that, even though at $100, that thing is amazing value.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/