setting up a dsl connection

alright so bare with me while I type this,  right now I have upgraded my internet to 100mb and I am not getting that 100mb I have dsl. im getting around 70ish  its fiber as well. I live in a old home. the phone line that my dsl/modem is connected to, isn't Cat5e,  or any sort of ethernet cord. its a phone cord. what im wondering is, is the reason im not getting my full speed the fact that I have a phone line connected to my modem instead of a ethernet cable, running down to the box?? I haven't called a tech out but im thinking about calling one out to see why im not getting the full speed. Im kinda guessing this is the problem though. when I say old wiring im talking about 4 strand.. set up. since years ago when my dad set it up he wasn't thinking about the internet 

29 minutes ago, Soulsreaper said:

alright so bare with me while I type this,  right now I have upgraded my internet to 100mb and I am not getting that 100mb I have dsl. im getting around 70ish  its fiber as well. I live in a old home. the phone line that my dsl/modem is connected to, isn't Cat5e,  or any sort of ethernet cord. its a phone cord. what im wondering is, is the reason im not getting my full speed the fact that I have a phone line connected to my modem instead of a ethernet cable, running down to the box?? I haven't called a tech out but im thinking about calling one out to see why im not getting the full speed. Im kinda guessing this is the problem though. when I say old wiring im talking about 4 strand.. set up. since years ago when my dad set it up he wasn't thinking about the internet 

If it's a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) then it's not fiber. It's running through copper lines like a land line phone would be.

You might be running up against the limitation of the copper lines in your house.

How are you connecting to the DSL, via hardwired or wireless?

Wireless always introduces some loss of speed.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Soulsreaper said:

I have upgraded my internet to 100mb and I am not getting that 100mb I have dsl. im getting around 70ish  its fiber as well.

Is it DSL or fiber? Two vastly different connections

1 hour ago, Soulsreaper said:

I live in a old home. the phone line that my dsl/modem is connected to, isn't Cat5e,  or any sort of ethernet cord. its a phone cord. what im wondering is, is the reason im not getting my full speed the fact that I have a phone line connected to my modem instead of a ethernet cable,

DSL uses pairs from old phone lines. Its doesnt support Cat 5.....DSL is two wires, no more no less. 

It just looks like there is a issue with line quality either on the poles or in your house. On a DSL connection I would expect ~90/90 on a 100meg connection. Also how are you testing? Are you wired? Wireless? Is every other devices disconnected when running the test? 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

If it's a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) then it's not fiber. It's running through copper lines like a land line phone would be.

You might be running up against the limitation of the copper lines in your house.

How are you connecting to the DSL, via hardwired or wireless?

Wireless always introduces some loss of speed.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Is it DSL or fiber? Two vastly different connections

DSL uses pairs from old phone lines. Its doesnt support Cat 5.....DSL is two wires, no more no less. 

It just looks like there is a issue with line quality either on the poles or in your house. On a DSL connection I would expect ~90/90 on a 100meg connection. Also how are you testing? Are you wired? Wireless? Is every other devices disconnected when running the test? 

OP could have VDSL. Which uses fiber to the cabinet and then phone line to his house.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

OP could have VDSL. Which uses fiber to the cabinet and then phone line to his house.

I know that.....he would never see the fiber. Also fiber feeds every platform chassis...not just VDSL

If it is DSL based, you will be able to verify the stats on the router/modem to find out what your downstream link speed is.

I would start there and also take a look at the DSL technology being used, its likely going to be vDSL.  Most vDSL packages are 79Mbit/s max downstream.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

8 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Most vDSL packages are 79Mbit/s max downstream

Not sure where you get that stat. usually 50, 75 and 100 packages

10 hours ago, Soulsreaper said:

If you have DSL then it comes from the phone line. Which is normally cat 3 wiring as phone cables dont use more than 4 wires if I recall correctly. While you can use CAT5 cable for phone, it wont use all the wires. If you have fiber involved, then you most likely have VDSL or VDSL2, which is the less shitty DSL. Depending on the line quality of the copper involved and the distance between you and the "Node" in your area, you can get upto 100 Mbps. I think thats about tops. My guess its a line issue. It could be internal wiring, but it could also be your ISP's network. I know a lot of DSL providers in the US are either too poor to do proper line maintenance. OR they are like AT&T and figured out that wireless is more profitable. AT&T only upgrades richer more profitable areas with Fiber, then they let those on DSL suffer or force them on to Cable or wireless service thru AT&T. 

In all you can try calling your ISP to see what they are saying. Maybe they can send a tech to look at the line. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.