Any ideas what this is?

spellmanuk
Go to solution Solved by spellmanuk,

UPDATE: I decided to just plug it in after all and it has a program called "winautocap5" on it its a program from sanyo to enable you to wirlessly send your image to the projector which would make sense since i work in a school with like 80 projectors.

Hi guys,

I started a new job a few months ago after playing catch-up for the past few months I’ve finally had some time to sit down and sort out the heaps of shite the last guy left in the draws of my desk some of it was quite useful like crap loads of brand new cmos batteries and sticks of RAM etc then there what’s just loads of stuff not so useful. Anyway one thing that’s in there was this usb stick I’m not too sure what it is I can’t find anything about it online particularly and obviously as a general rule I don’t go plugging things in that I don’t know what they are. The only markings it has are it says “Auto Capture” printed on it then there is a sticker underneath that says ver. 1.00 then on the usb plug it’s self it says that it’s 512MB. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 7FFCBE89-AE64-48ED-B391-FAC0969E971A.thumb.jpeg.ba046c1cfa9c8a2f80b227ce97a41580.jpeg

I lurk a lot

I’m thinking it’s a USB thumb drive with a serial key for Auto Capture PC on it. Then again, I’m most likely going to be wrong.

I was also thinking of some sort of application that logs the keystrokes and typing patterns of users that use he computer it is plugged in, then requests that info to be parsed, converted and sent over the network to another location for viewing, or saved locally in the admin account.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Start up a linux live boot and see what's on it is what I would do. No harm can be done then AFAIK.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Start up a linux live boot and see what's on it is what I would do. No harm can be done then AFAIK.

hmm yeah didnt think of that good idea! i might try that later

I lurk a lot

Some manufactures send customers USB keys that have ID codes, serial codes, or other identification on them in order to function. I have mostly seen this in AUTO CAD software field with a piece of software called Lightwave 3D. The company sent us 30 USB Key that needed to be plugged into the system at all times or the software could quite unexpectedly. In these cases, the company does not even provide you with a CD Key and you (the user) has no knowledge of what it is because it is stored on the USB drive. This can also be a common item in the Food Service industry with PoS (Point of Sale) systems. 

I believe this is what you have... a USB drive with software licensing on it. 

Edited by aflyinghotpocket
I can't spell

16 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

I’m thinking it’s a USB thumb drive with a serial key for Auto Capture PC on it. Then again, I’m most likely going to be wrong.

I was also thinking of some sort of application that logs the keystrokes and typing patterns of users that use he computer it is plugged in, then requests that info to be parsed, converted and sent over the network to another location for viewing, or saved locally in the admin account.

That's what I thought too, but maybe I just watch too much James Bond.

"Shashabooey" - Po

i would say you should probably ask your boss/senior member if they know what it is, they they do, awesome, there's your answer. if they don't know, bin it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

i would say you should probably ask your boss/senior member if they know what it is, they they do, awesome, there's your answer. if they don't know, bin it.

I would do that but... im the only IT person xD

I lurk a lot

16 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

Some manufactures send customers USB keys that have ID codes, serial codes, or other identification on them in order to function. I have mostly seen this in AUTO CAD software field with a piece of software called Lightwave 3D. The company sent us 30 USB Key that needed to be plugged into the system at all times or the software could quite unexpectedly. In these cases, the company does not even provide you with a CD Key and you (the user) has no knowledge of what it is because it is stored on the USB drive. This can also be a common item in the Food Service industry with PoS (Point of Sale) systems. 

I believe this is what you have... a USB drive with software licensing on it. 

if this is what it is does that mean there is logic inside not just a flash controller and some nand flash?

I lurk a lot

Its called a "Bag" if its a usb that stores a license for a software :D

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

UPDATE: I decided to just plug it in after all and it has a program called "winautocap5" on it its a program from sanyo to enable you to wirlessly send your image to the projector which would make sense since i work in a school with like 80 projectors.

I lurk a lot