game stutter when watching video on second monitor

Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,
8 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

how can you play and watch a video at the same time? O.o

Anyway, if you use the resource devourer aka chrome that's normal, there's not enough memory for it even if you have 16GB because of the game, try using a different browser (not opera, that's just the same with a different name) I use SeaMonkey and it uses <300mb memory

Also, run the games in borderless windows instead of full screen

It's not memory, twitch casues this for sure and it's cpu side, though it's not nearly as bad as when they were like the last flash holdout

OP you have a newer i5. It's not a direct example, but I had less of a problem doing twitch on one screen and a game on the other with a sandy i7 than a haswell i5. Actually, the problem only seems to exist on the i5 for me unless I'm doing something like rendering that takes the whole cpu. The issue is the amount of threads, and you only have 4 to work with.

Limit the process of the tab to 1 thread, then limit the game to the three OTHER threads. It may be tricky finding which one is your twitch tab. Also, plugins show up there. Look for cpu usage and maybe start with a new session with only twitch open.

Right click on the process and click "set affinity" in task manager.

You may see a performance decrease in the game, but you will eliminate the stuttering, and the game and twitch will not interfere with each other.

The i5 is still really good for gaming, it just runs into problems with doing other stuff at the same time.

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some massive game performance drops when opening a browser and watching youtube or twitch on my second monitor at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions to stop this from happening?

CPU - INTEL CORE i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz (6CPUs)

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM - 16GB

Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z370P

Case - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P400

Display(s) - ACER PREDATOR XB241H, DELL  S2716DG

Mouse - ROCCAT KONE XTD, LOGITECH G403

Keyboard - RAZER ORNATA, RAZER BLACKWIDOW X TOURNAMENT

Anyway, if you use the resource devourer aka chrome that's normal, there's not enough memory for it even if you have 16GB because of the game, try using a different browser (not opera, that's just the same with a different name) I use SeaMonkey and it uses <300mb memory

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

It's not memory, twitch casues this for sure and it's cpu side, though it's not nearly as bad as when they were like the last flash holdout

OP you have a newer i5. It's not a direct example, but I had less of a problem doing twitch on one screen and a game on the other with a sandy i7 than a haswell i5. Actually, the problem only seems to exist on the i5 for me unless I'm doing something like rendering that takes the whole cpu. The issue is the amount of threads, and you only have 4 to work with.

Limit the process of the tab to 1 thread, then limit the game to the three OTHER threads. It may be tricky finding which one is your twitch tab. Also, plugins show up there. Look for cpu usage and maybe start with a new session with only twitch open.

You may see a performance decrease in the game, but you will eliminate the stuttering, and the game and twitch will not interfere with each other.

The i5 is still really good for gaming, it just runs into problems with doing other stuff at the same time.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

13 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I just like to have the ESL CS GO pro league on in the background so I can glance over at it whilst I'm playing. I was using Chrome at the time and it felt like my PC was actually dying. I've never heard of Seamonkey, is it safe and recommended?

RAM - 16GB

16 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I’m using an i5 and it does really only seem to be Twitch that totally kills it. I’ve tried what you suggested and hopefully it works itself out! 

RAM - 16GB

Just now, sKetchyy said:

I’m using an i5 and it does really only seem to be Twitch that totally kills it. I’ve tried what you suggested and hopefully it works itself out! 

yah you may have to screw with getting the right chrome process. Good luck!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

• 3 months later...

I found a fix for my same issue, Chrome Settings>Advanced>Turn off Hardware Acceleration. Guess chrome hogs my 1080TI when i'm tying to play WoW :P