CPU stuck @800MHz and fans rev on 100% speed!!

tolga_z33

Yesterday I used a program called FrostyEditor (NFS Modding), and my Laptops fans randomly revved up to 100%. I immediately checked the task manager if something is in the background. As I checked, I saw my CPU-Load graph is a straight line (basically stuck at 798MHz). I restarted my laptop and it didn't solve it. As it booted up, I waited for the fans if they spin up even in log-in screen, and they did. I've installed a program called Thottlestop and unchecked BD Prochot, now my CPU got back to normal (during idle 50°C + 100% fan speed, and during games 3GHz to 3,3GHz, temp. are hotter than usual at 97° + 100% fan speed). But my fans however won't calm down.

Anyone got a solution for that?

My specs: an Acer Laptop (2016)

i7-6700HQ (max. 3,2GHz)

GTX 960m (4GB graphics memory)

16GB DDR4

Have you tried uninstalling both programs and see if that have any effect? If not then it could be something entirely different.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At 100% fan speed it shouldn't idle at 50 and you're almost cooking it in-game. 

Time to clean it out and replace thermal paste.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I uninstalled the program which I used, and now it's still stuck @800MHz, but if i uncheck "BD PROCHOT" in Throttlestop it gets back to 3000-3300 whilest idling (stock speed is 2600MHz without boost).

The task manager tells me that the CPU isnt loaded (like 3-7% idle). Temps are still 50°C at idle and reached 99°C max. in NFS Payback. Few days ago it worked perfect without any issues (CPU wasn't loaded during NFS, temps. were OK). The fans are always 100% not only ingame. I'm cleaning my laptop everyday so I don't think of replacing thermal paste.

4 hours ago, tolga_z33 said:

I uninstalled the program which I used, and now it's still stuck @800MHz, but if i uncheck "BD PROCHOT" in Throttlestop it gets back to 3000-3300 whilest idling (stock speed is 2600MHz without boost).

The task manager tells me that the CPU isnt loaded (like 3-7% idle). Temps are still 50°C at idle and reached 99°C max. in NFS Payback. Few days ago it worked perfect without any issues (CPU wasn't loaded during NFS, temps. were OK). The fans are always 100% not only ingame. I'm cleaning my laptop everyday so I don't think of replacing thermal paste.

You're thermal throttling.

Either the thermal paste dried up like NelizMastr is eluding to or there's an airflow problem like a dust bunny clogged in the CPU fan.

You need to take that thing apart and clean it real good as well as replace that thermal paste.

Thanks for all those replies!

The problem has been solved btw, through the program Throttlestop. I unchecked "BD PROCHOT" and waited for 1 hour, and everything went back to normal.