best tutorial video for simple NAS setup.

DND

Good day to you folks at LTT forum, just wanted to ask for a good video tutorial on setting up a simple NAS setup. Me and my friends at school are tasked to make a simple NAS for our project in school and I'm not yet fully learned how to build a NAS. Thanks in advance.

Edit: BTW i forget to say that we will be needing at least 4 drives for the nas

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

You guys want to make a NAS out of a PC?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1. Install FreeBSD.

2. Choose all defaults

3. Add these options to rc.conf and exports. https://www.unixmen.com/setup-nfs-server-on-freebsd/

4. Congrats you have the most basic of a NAS. Next assignment.

I don't know if school instructors think this stuff is harder than it is so they give these kinds of projects or what. "Setting up a NAS" at it's basic level is literately something that takes less than 5 min to do. Also the fact that they think this is a group project is laughable. What the hell would anyone else do?

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

10 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

You guys want to make a NAS out of a PC?

Yes.

3 hours ago, jde3 said:

1. Install FreeBSD.

2. Choose all defaults

3. Add these options to rc.conf and exports. https://www.unixmen.com/setup-nfs-server-on-freebsd/

4. Congrats you have the most basic of a NAS. Next assignment.

I don't know if school instructors think this stuff is harder than it is so they give these kinds of projects or what. "Setting up a NAS" at it's basic level is literately something that takes less than 5 min to do. Also the fact that they think this is a group project is laughable. What the hell would anyone else do?

HAHAHA so true. The only thing that the others would is give the money to buy the needed components hahaha

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

2 hours ago, DND said:

Yes.

HAHAHA so true. The only thing that the others would is give the money to buy the needed components hahaha

Well I mean.. you could be like.. uhh go get me coffee while I edit these two whole big config files and add 4 lines. whew glad I did that.. man that was a rough project. :P

1 hour ago, jde3 said:

Well I mean.. you could be like.. uhh go get me coffee while I edit these two whole big config files and add 4 lines. whew glad I did that.. man that was a rough project. :P

HAHAHA, BTW i forgot to say we will be needing at least 4 drives.

Spoiler

this is for sure the best tutorial on how to install and configure Freenas, Wendell is awesome

7 hours ago, danieldsklein said:

this is for sure the best tutorial on how to install and configure Freenas, Wendell is awesome

Will check it out oh and btw we're gonna use the freenas corral 10.2 I think is the interface same with the freenas 9?

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, DND said:

Will check it out oh and btw we're gonna use the freenas corral 10.2 I think is the interface same with the freenas 9?

Stick with stable. whatever stable is. (11?) FreeNAS wasn't for a while holding the same release numbers with FreeBSD but I think they are now? Release FreeBSD is 11.1

18 hours ago, DND said:

Yes, you can try the new beta GUI on freenas 11, but the default GUI is the same

5 hours ago, danieldsklein said:

Yes, you can try the new beta GUI on freenas 11, but the default GUI is the same

So the beta gui on the freenas 11 is the same with the one on the video? In that case I won't have to struggle following all the steps on the video tutorial?

Spoiler