(ultra) Wide gaming monitor?

AT0MAC
Go to solution Solved by AT0MAC,

Just ordered the LG 32GK850G

Thanks for a nice and decent discussion, maybe others can use this as a base to seek out their new monitor. A lot of good points were brought up.

What would you choose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you had a GTX1070 and needed the best monitor you could buy out of these 4, what would you choose?

• Omen X by HP 35
    • ROG Swift PG348Q
    • LG 34UC89G
    • LG 34GK850G-B

I feel like I kind of need a better monitor to fit my new build, not that there is anything really wrong with my AOC 144Hz 1080p panel, its just nlt same quality as rest of the machine, with its TN panel and washed out blacks.

I am reading reviews upon reviews and am getting pretty confused, there is always something not ideal.

--------------------------------

I want a screen 27" or larger

Minimum 1080p hight, maximum 1440p height, but wider than 1920, maybe even ultrawide

High acuracy colors, definately not TN and preferably not VA also.

Prefer 100hz or better, as I have 144Hz screen now

Needs to have VESA 100 mount!

-thats usually the point were it gets the most difficult to find, but im sure its out there

Lastly, i see most screens have a 4-5ms GTG, im used to a screen with 1, i guess we are talking so little difference i will never notice?

After a small reality check I think I rather have a monitor fitting these guide lines:

30"+

Preferably IPS

2560x1080 minimum

100Hz minimum

Best possible sRGB rating

Maximum 5ms GTG

G-sync is a requirement

Hit me with your best options!

Now with 4 contestants left, who would you pick?

My Gaming PC: 27833

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

10 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

What's your PC hardware and what's your budget?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your PC hardware and what's your budget?

GTX 1070 and 8600K, both heavily overclocked.

See the system im talking about in my sig.

Budget is undetermined, but im always up for a bargain

1 minute ago, AT0MAC said:

GTX 1070 and 8600K, both heavily overclocked.

See the system im talking about in my sig.

Budget is undetermined, but im always up for a bargain

Your PC isn't enough for 1440p 21:9 at 144hz if you want to run games on higher settings.

You can run your monitor in 1440p using DSR to check what your fps would be.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Your PC isn't enough for 1440p 21:9 at 144hz if you want to run games on higher settings.

I want a high refresh panel because i dont switch monitors very often, but change hardware quite often.

So to just have the option but maybe not totally utalize atm is what i want

Check out the Samsung CF791, I just bought one to replace my 34" Swift that had horrendous backlight bleeding and couldn't be happier.  It's a VA panel but with the Quantum Dot technology IMO colors look as good as they do on the 27" Asus IPS panel I have sitting next to it plus blacks are much deeper.  It also includes a VESA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

Check out the Samsung CF791, I just bought one to replace my 34" Swift that had horrendous backlight bleeding and couldn't be happier.  It's a VA panel but with the Quantum Dot technology IMO colors look as good as they do on the 27" Asus IPS panel I have sitting next to it plus blacks are much deeper.  It also includes a VESA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor-C34F791/dp/B01M1D7JVO

Great real world advise, thanks man. But wait what, am i seeing it right, its a white monitor?

Not that thats a problem, just little suprised

20 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

I have been looking at that model, but i have seen some reviews where that 1ms reduction function dont work very well so its more like a 5ms gtg anyway, have seen people say it gives a little blur in fast scenes because of the way the panel is trying to software reduce or something. Not sure if the feature can be turned off

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's the UW 1440p 144hz Monitor called?

6 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

I want a high refresh panel because i dont switch monitors very often, but change hardware quite often.

So to just have the option but maybe not totally utalize atm is what i want

Then probably just look for korean monitors

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AT0MAC said:

Great real world advise, thanks man. But wait what, am i seeing it right, its a white monitor?

Not that thats a problem, just little suprised

lol, it did kinda bug me at first but I finally got a 100Hz ultrawide I'm happy with.  Not saying it won't be getting a paint job when it's out of warranty though.

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then probably just look for korean monitors

I actually would love to, but I live in Denmark and somethings are very difficult to get here, at least big brand names have the same or very similar models all over the globe

10 minutes ago, General Winter said:

this is on sale for today, but its still expensive at $1K but it has everything you'd want out of a monitor, ultrawide 1440p, g sync, 10 bit color, etc.

if budget isn't an issue this is a solid monitor

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869&cm_re=ultrawide-_-24-009-869-_-Product

Dang thats a sweet monitor!

But oh  yes I see what you meen, even Acer knows that and it is taking a heap of money for it.

I see there is a A and a P model, whats the deal about that?

Also, just seen some people in a different forum talking about it and comparing it to a Alienware screen, any idea what screen the Alienware is?

Just now, AT0MAC said:

Dang thats a sweet monitor!

But oh  yes I see what you meen, even Acer knows that and it is taking a heap of money for it.

I see there is a A and a P model, whats the deal about that?

Also, just seen some people in a different forum talking about it and comparing it to a Alienware screen, any idea what screen the Alienware is?

its just freesync vs. g sync if memory serves correctly

alienware has a similiar monitor buts its more expensive for the same specs unless they've lowered it to competitive pricing

3 minutes ago, General Winter said:

its just freesync vs. g sync if memory serves correctly

alienware has a similiar monitor buts its more expensive for the same specs unless they've lowered it to competitive pricing

oh wait, there seems to be a difference in responce time also, the A is GTG 4ms and the P is just 4ms (supposed thats on all colors)

Im just looking at models and am turning kind of blind..... there are so many to look at!

Right now im looking at the ROG Strix XG35VQ

It looks like a very good VA contender

Also, it ties in with my Asus ROG motherboard, so I can unify lighting as an added bonus.

Plus, by the way, I totally forgot to mention I have 3 computers hooked up, this monitor have dual HDMI and one DP, perfect for me.

It lacks the Vesa mount as far as I can see, but it has a kick a$$ stand, so thats an ok compromise.

Anything to say about this specific monitor?

well if its between them if I had Navida card I would get the PG348Q, I had the X34 and the almost the same and there amazing monitors 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

Wait a minute... I just found the PG35VQ variant of the same monitor, but with HDR support!

Only to find out its not released yet :( that would have been the perfect monitor for sure!

Does the PG348Q do HDR? As far as I understand it does not, but should not lack far behind with that spec sheet i imagine...

8 hours ago, AT0MAC said:

Probably just get whatever is cheaper, usually free-sync displays are cheaper.

Spoiler

i have the AOC Agon AG352UCG 100hz 1440p so far so good, colors are very good after calibration, very very bright. it has gsync. have it mounted on a desk arm the amazon basics one. i have a photo of it in the show your setup thread if you want to see it.

3 hours ago, AT0MAC said:

Wait a minute... I just found the PG35VQ variant of the same monitor, but with HDR support!

Only to find out its not released yet :( that would have been the perfect monitor for sure!

Does the PG348Q do HDR? As far as I understand it does not, but should not lack far behind with that spec sheet i imagine...

If you want that, prepare your wallet. I doubt it's gonna cost less than $2000-2500.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones