GTX 590 Cooling

I recently got a good deal on a GTX 590 for a little build I wanted to put in my bedroom. I knew the card ran hot, but really wanted it since it was kinda odd and different. However, I noticed that when running Unigine one of the GPU's hits 98 degree celsius and the other one hovers at high 80's. I know part of the problem is it's in a cabinet (with open doors), but I didn't think it would get that hot. I have a Phanteks Eclipse P300 with 2 SP 120 in the front, a Corsair Ram Cooler, and an H60 with a push pull in the back. Is there anything I can do to try and reduce temperatures? 

10 minutes ago, Antivist said:

I recently got a good deal on a GTX 590 for a little build I wanted to put in my bedroom. I knew the card ran hot, but really wanted it since it was kinda odd and different. However, I noticed that when running Unigine one of the GPU's hits 98 degree celsius and the other one hovers at high 80's. I know part of the problem is it's in a cabinet (with open doors), but I didn't think it would get that hot. I have a Phanteks Eclipse P300 with 2 SP 120 in the front, a Corsair Ram Cooler, and an H60 with a push pull in the back. Is there anything I can do to try and reduce temperatures? 

If replacing the thermal paste doesn't really improve much, you can probably get an arctic Accelero for it.

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/vga.html

Depends on how much you're willing to put into it.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

New TP will show at least minimal improvement if its the stock TP your replacing, its an older card so i would defenitely do it regardless. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

2 hours ago, Antivist said:

I recently got a good deal on a GTX 590

Was it free?

Maybe try to find an older water block for the card.

Otherwise just mount it on your wall or disable one of the GPUs.

Dunno if you can use a modern AIO kit and just mount 2 of them to it

But any extra work/money simply isn't worth it.

2 hours ago, panther420 said:

If replacing the thermal paste doesn't really improve much, you can probably get an arctic Accelero for it.

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/vga.html

Depends on how much you're willing to put into it.

He would have to buy 2 and them somehow mount both of them.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Arctic made an accelero for the 690, idk if that might work for the 590. OP could also just mount two AIOs with some zipties.

Spoiler

Spoiler

PC Specs:

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

1 hour ago, Antivist said:

Ah just ship it to this guy so he can blow it up

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

I've been dealing with some older cards that like to run hot like the Radeon 7000 series and I've managed to get them into a better shape by usually replacing the thermal paste & the thermal pads. But make sure the pads are the same thickness as the ones already on the card! Also while you are taking the card apart, get a can of compressed air and make sure to clean it up as much as possible and get all of the dust out. Double check if all of the fans are working well because there might be some fans that are straight up not working or slogging behind the other fans.

Laptop - Omen 15

i5-7300HQ, GTX 1060 maxQ 6gb, 120hz Panel, 16GB DDR4 Ram @2400hz

Blue Box
i5 - 3350p, R9 Nano Fury 4GB HBM, 8gb DDR3 Ram @1600hz

As other people have said, swap the thermal paste as a first step. I got surprisingly good results swapping the paste on my newish RX480's with Thermal Grizzly Cryonaught so i suspect you will see improvements swapping out the older thermal paste on the GTX590 as a first atempt

8 hours ago, Fire Lantern said:

I've been dealing with some older cards that like to run hot like the Radeon 7000 series and I've managed to get them into a better shape by usually replacing the thermal paste & the thermal pads. But make sure the pads are the same thickness as the ones already on the card! Also while you are taking the card apart, get a can of compressed air and make sure to clean it up as much as possible and get all of the dust out. Double check if all of the fans are working well because there might be some fans that are straight up not working or slogging behind the other fans.

Where could I get some good thermal pads from? I'd be up to replacing those if it would help my temps.

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Was it free?

Maybe try to find an older water block for the card.

Otherwise just mount it on your wall or disable one of the GPUs.

Dunno if you can use a modern AIO kit and just mount 2 of them to it

But any extra work/money simply isn't worth it.

No, it was about $100 all in which I know I could've probably spent more and gotten a newer/cooler running card, but I really just was intrigued by the novelty of having a dual GPU card honestly. I haven't checked into modern AIO kit's, but I don't think I have any room in that case to put one sadly :(. 

17 hours ago, panther420 said:

Arctic made an accelero for the 690, idk if that might work for the 590. OP could also just mount two AIOs with some zipties.

How much work is it to put one of those on? I've only done minor GPU repair like fixing a broke fan on my old EVGA 970 and putting new thermal paste on it. So how hard is it compared to something like that?

6 minutes ago, Antivist said:

No, it was about $100 all in which I know I could've probably spent more and gotten a newer/cooler running card, but I really just was intrigued by the novelty of having a dual GPU card honestly. I haven't checked into modern AIO kit's, but I don't think I have any room in that case to put one sadly :(. 

Should try to get your money back or just resell it...that a really bad buy unless you're a collector with money to burn.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Antivist said:

How much work is it to put one of those on? I've only done minor GPU repair like fixing a broke fan on my old EVGA 970 and putting new thermal paste on it. So how hard is it compared to something like that?

If the accelero is designed to mount on the 690 like it does on the 590, not that much effort. It would probably just be like repasting a card but slightly different (though I've never tried mounting a third party cooler myself). However, if you have to fiddle with the mounting or use zipties, it's probably not worth it for the price you paid for the video unless you're a youtuber and can turn the time and money into more money with the amount of views gained from such a cool topic :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

PC Specs:

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

More PC's

I have a GTX 295 Dual PCB which never went beyond 80ºC. Actually I have it installed and it is not hitting above 75ºC. The GTX 590 as a newer card should run a lot cooler than that.

Based on the price you paid and reports I have read through the years, I'm afraid that the card you bought visited an oven at least once, hence the high temp. 98ºC would be too high even if the card had no thermal paste at all.

21 hours ago, panther420 said:

If the accelero is designed to mount on the 690 like it does on the 590, not that much effort. It would probably just be like repasting a card but slightly different (though I've never tried mounting a third party cooler myself). However, if you have to fiddle with the mounting or use zipties, it's probably not worth it for the price you paid for the video unless you're a youtuber and can turn the time and money into more money with the amount of views gained from such a cool topic :P

Yeah for me it's really not worth it. This build the only thing I really had to buy for it was the GPU and PSU so this isn't really worth it sadly. I would consider it one day though because this is a pretty cool card.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:02 PM, Streetguru said:

Should try to get your money back or just resell it...that a really bad buy unless you're a collector with money to burn.

I got it mostly to collect, and match the theme of the build I'm working on right now. I saw them mostly going for about $130+ so I just bought it once I saw that I could get it for around $100. Another reason I also got it so cheap was that it had some scratching on the plastic shroud which I didn't care about because once it's mounted in a case you can't even see that.

20 hours ago, Razzee said:

I have a GTX 295 Dual PCB which never went beyond 80ºC. Actually I have it installed and it is not hitting above 75ºC. The GTX 590 as a newer card should run a lot cooler than that.

Based on the price you paid and reports I have read through the years, I'm afraid that the card you bought visited an oven at least once, hence the high temp. 98ºC would be too high even if the card had no thermal paste at all.

It had scratches on it which is how I got it so low. I'm going to take it apart and reapply some thermal paste and see what temps I get after. I don't think it visited an oven because from what I've seen it only holds up temporarily and won't keep under heavy stress testing which I did. I ran Unigine on it for a while and there was no signs of anything negative other than the temps. It's also in a cabinet which is why I think it's so high.

Okay, so I replaced the thermal paste on both the chips. When i uncovered it I discovered an extremely excessive amounts of thermal paste that the previous owner applied. I reapplied and now one of the GPU's stays around 75 degrees when benchmarking, but the other stays at 97. Any ideas as to what would cause this big a discrepancy between the 2?

2 minutes ago, Antivist said:

Okay, so I replaced the thermal paste on both the chips. When i uncovered it I discovered an extremely excessive amounts of thermal paste that the previous owner applied. I reapplied and now one of the GPU's stays around 75 degrees when benchmarking, but the other stays at 97. Any ideas as to what would cause this big a discrepancy between the 2?

List of reasons:
One of the GPUs not being used
Bad mount
Obstruction in the heatsink somewhere

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

On 5/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, Neftex said:

its old card, you can try replacing the thermal paste etc

This is just about the best you can do.

2 minutes ago, Antivist said:

Might just be a cooling problem. You could try undervolting.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

List of reasons:
One of the GPUs not being used
Bad mount
Obstruction in the heatsink somewhere

I was thinking about one of the GPU's not being used, but after checking in Afterburner I could see that they were both being used. What do you mean a bad mount? Like the heatsink isn't applying enough pressure to the chip?

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This is just about the best you can do.

Might just be a cooling problem. You could try undervolting.

I think that may just be the case. It's in a small case with only 2 fans intaking and the radiator fans exhausting. I'm going to try undervolting and then see about getting another fan to put in the top mount if I have room.

1 minute ago, Antivist said:

I was thinking about one of the GPU's not being used, but after checking in Afterburner I could see that they were both being used. What do you mean a bad mount? Like the heatsink isn't applying enough pressure to the chip?

Yep. Just make sure all screws are tightened as much as you can do. Don't use a drill or something, though.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'm going to try that. When I reapplied the thermal paste I wasn't sure how tight I should screw everything back in and I'll double check. Thank you