Options for a NAS to use as a Backup

I am currently in a bit of a dilemma.

I am in need of a method to backup several computers to--roughly 12TB currently but will grow in the future. While I know the benefits of using zfs2 and freenas, I do have an old windows 7 pro computer--without ecc--just collecting dust.

My main question is: for something that is only going to be used for nightly backups, is windows 7 and raid 6 acceptable? I know many people will jump on me about the wonders of freenas, and yes, I agree with you; however, if I end up going the freenas build, I will need to do it correctly from the ground up with ecc ram--thus adding to the costs. The current cpu in the windows 7 is an 1155 dual-core and the board nor cpu support ecc. It has been well maintained, and I have not had any issues with the raid controllers.

I am not using plex or anything else besides creating backup and restore points.

You dont need ECC ram, it is just recommended, but I wouldn't plan a FreeNAS build without 8GB of ram is a starting point.

If you do W7 + Raid 6 do you have a RAID controller capable of doing that?

If you are only using 4 drives and no plan to expand use RAID 10 instead.

you don't need ecc with freenas, and its not any more important with zfs than any other filesystem.

Id just install freenas for the webinterface. Or look at something like unraid.

But windows 7 will work, it just doens't have as good of drive support as linux or freebsd with things like software raid.

What raid card? Don't use the raid on the motherboard, and id stay away from any raid card without a battery.

I honestly cannot remember what raid card it is, there isnt anything that identifies it. I got it from a friend awhile ago; I think he pulled it from something else. I have never used raid 6 on that computer, only raid 5, but I remember it had the option available.

The computer currently has 32gb of memory in it, so that is not an issue. With 12tb of active storage needed in zfs2, I think that would give me some room to grow into.

Final two questions: Since I am not using it to stream media, do you think the i3-3220 would be fine? Finally, since I cannot imagine that the hardware is made to be on 24/7--even with a relatively low stress on the system as a glorified external hard drive--is there any harm in shutting down a zfs server? I have gotten mixed messages about this, but it has always been my understanding that one just has to make sure that it does its data checks before doing so and after restarting.

2 minutes ago, Funkemonkey said:

I honestly cannot remember what raid card it is, there isnt anything that identifies it. I got it from a friend awhile ago; I think he pulled it from something else. I have never used raid 6 on that computer, only raid 5, but I remember it had the option available.

The computer currently has 32gb of memory in it, so that is not an issue. With 12tb of active storage needed in zfs2, I think that would give me some room to grow into.

Final two questions: Since I am not using it to stream media, do you think the i3-3220 would be fine? Finally, since I cannot imagine that the hardware is made to be on 24/7--even with a relatively low stress on the system as a glorified external hard drive--is there any harm in shutting down a zfs server? I have gotten mixed messages about this, but it has always been my understanding that one just has to make sure that it does its data checks before doing so and after restarting.

that i3 will be fine,you really don't need much cpu at all here.

You can shut it down if you want, zfs doesn't mind.

it will tell you if your doing a scrub, and won't cause a issue if shutdown.

HWhat drives, if its for abckup, id just run raidz1 here,

I was just planning on going with either WD Reds or Seagate's equivalent. I dont see much of a performance difference between the two when looking at the failure statistics, so whatever is cheapest.

The data is not something that I can really afford to lose--work backup files etc in case something borks my main systems like a wonky update or virus etc. That is why I think I'll go with zfs2 and then add a mirrored pool to it later.

Thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, Funkemonkey said:

I was just planning on going with either WD Reds or Seagate's equivalent. I dont see much of a performance difference between the two when looking at the failure statistics, so whatever is cheapest.

The data is not something that I can really afford to lose--work backup files etc in case something borks my main systems like a wonky update or virus etc. That is why I think I'll go with zfs2 and then add a mirrored pool to it later.

Thanks for the help.

For just 12tb, id just do a pair of 12tb drives and its lower power.

Or get 3 of those 8tb easy store drives, there a great value.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

I'll look into that.

I am expecting my storage needs to grow over the next few years, so I was hoping to just set it up with how I would like with lower capacity drives to fulfill my current needs and then replace them later rather than redoing the whole pool. I havent quite settled how I will divi everything up.

Just now, Funkemonkey said:

I'll look into that.

I am expecting my storage needs to grow over the next few years, so I was hoping to just set it up with how I would like with lower capacity drives to fulfill my current needs and then replace them later rather than redoing the whole pool. I havent quite settled how I will divi everything up.

You should be able to expand a raidz later this year so you can add more drives.

I would strongly advise against Raid 5 / Raid Z1, on large arrays (over a few TB) the chance of encountering an un recoverable error (URE) during a rebuild it extremely high, and when that happens all data is lost, which is why it is either recommended to use RAID1 (2 drives min), 6(4 drives min) or 10(4 drives min).

I know you will only be using this for backed up data, but what happens if you are using RAID 5, and during a restore a drive fails and then the rebuild fails?  All the data on the array is lost, is it worth saving 150 bucks or so?

I'll probably go with either zfs2 or zfs3. It seems like that may be a little more stable than windows 7 raid 6 or 10; unless I chicken out regarding the ecc ram.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, is raid 1 more stable than raidz1 when dealing with storage over a few TB?