confirmation on my nas server

1 hour ago, Technomancer__ said:

so this supports flash cache/BBU and the other doesn't?

because the MEGARAID SAS 9341-8I has better processor, double the cache and its pci gen 3

The 9341 has no cache at all, the 9361 has 1GB or 2GB depending on Flash Cache upgrade you buy.

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sas-9341-8i#specifications

https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sas-9361-8i#specifications

The two amazon links I posted was the 9260 and BBU upgrade for it, they are separate parts.

Far as the processor on the 9260 goes it'll do the job easily, yes it's older but it can push 2.5GB/s which you'll only be doing with SSDs and RAID 0. You'll get around 600MB/s-700MB/s write and read will depend on how many disks you have.

I've got an IBM M5110 (OEM 9266) and a LSI 9361 with CC + FP and even with 10K RPM SAS disks there is no difference in performance between the two, SSDs on the 9361 are much better but that's due to the FastPath upgrade I got for it. I've also got a bunch of IBM M1015 (OEM 9240) which is the previous generation to the 9341 you're looking at, also not any good for RAID 5/6.

Honestly though for the cost of proper RAID cards and battery upgrades you're better off using Storage Spaces with Two-Way Mirror and spending more on HDDs.

Edit:

Two-Way Mirror supports any number of disks and can be expanded with more disks later and of different sizes.

9 hours ago, Technomancer__ said:

@jde3i will go with openmediavault since it has raid 5. freenas is very good but is uses zfs and i cant expand my array in the future by adding more drives.

Don't use btrfs with raid 5. It's had serious design implementation problems in the past. (they may say it's fixed now but.. they said that before and it hurts confidence) I'm pretty sure that is a btrfs distro.. tho they don't say it anywhere on their site. Honestly it looks like they are hiding the fact that use that..

ZFS *can* be expanded. Just not the usual way. You can replace each drive in the pool to a larger one and the pool size will grow. Here is an example of moving a 1.7TB pool to 7TB. https://jsosic.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/expanding-zfs-zpool-raid/ the thing you can't do is make a 5 drive raidz1 a 6 drive raidz1.. at least you can't do it for the next ~2 years till ZFS reflow is finished.. Also.. beyond this if your in a mad rush to expand your storage.. you don't want ANY file system to become more than 80% full so you need to plan ahead of time well in advance because you'll get random seeks all over the disk and your iops will tank. It sounds like your not planing out enough storage to start if your concerned about expanding..

I get why a home use would want raid5 and thats ok but you really don't want to try to expand a raid unless you absolutely have to on any implementation. It's a ton of work and old drives (old by the time you need to expand) don't like working.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law