CloneZilla cant mount Windows partition but I cant mount it as read-only or boot into Windows to fix it

mr cheese

Help!!!

I need to clone this partition ASAP but every time I run CloneZilla it quits because it cant mount the partition!

Windows has that dumb feature where in order to save boot time it never fully shuts down. Unfortunately that means the partition cannot be mounted until it is manually fully shut down by Windows.

Usually that means booting into Windows and fully shutting it down but I cant get into Windows at all! That's why I need to clone this partition ASAP.

Is there a way for me to mount the partition as read-only for CloneZilla so I can image it???

I have a CLonezilla liveUSB and a desktop with clonezilla ready to go. I need ANY kind of tip!

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

You don't need to mount it to clone it, what are you cloning it to?

Clonezillia is just linux, so go in the cmd and mount with the option of ro and you can mount read only.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You don't need to mount it to clone it, what are you cloning it to?

Clonezillia is just linux, so go in the cmd and mount with the option of ro and you can mount read only.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you know CloneZilla.

CloneZilla uses tools to either image partitions or whole disks. I don't know why, but in order to image a partition, it needs to be mounted.

CloneZilla as a tool will (for some reason) not allow you to image an already-mounted partition. (Probably for data loss).

If I knew a way around I sure as hell would be using it right now

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

7 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you know CloneZilla.

I have, just use the dd clone option. It doesn't need to mount to clone.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have, just use the dd clone option. It doesn't need to mount to clone.

Ok. Is there a way to then dd the image to a drive of a smaller size?

I'm going to be moving this partition to a smaller SSD and the partition is bigger, but uses less space.

5 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Ok. Is there a way to then dd the image to a drive of a smaller size?

I'm going to be moving this partition to a smaller SSD and the partition is bigger, but uses less space.

So what is your goal here? 

Clone the hdd to anouther bigger drive, recover the data(or use backups?) Then copy the data onto the new install. Don't try to make a bootable clone here. So why would you clone it to a small ssd?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

So what is your goal here? 

Clone the hdd to anouther bigger drive, recover the data(or use backups?) Then copy the data onto the new install. Don't try to make a bootable clone here. So why would you clone it to a small ssd?

Smaller SSD is all I got :shrug:

I'm going to try to resize the partition best I can and then just dd

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Smaller SSD is all I got :shrug:

I'm going to try to resize the partition best I can and then just dd

bad idea. 

How big is the hdd and the ssd?

You can try compression with other programs like dd

Or just mount read only and copy files over.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

bad idea. 

How big is the hdd and the ssd?

You can try compression with other programs like dd

Or just mount read only and copy files over.

Plan is, I'm going to dd the image to another HDD as a buffer, find a way to boot into that Windows partition so I can fully shut it down, resize the partition, then dd it to the SSD.

hows that?

1 minute ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Plan is, I'm going to dd the image to another HDD as a buffer, find a way to boot into that Windows partition so I can fully shut it down, resize the partition, then dd it to the SSD.

hows that?

That will work, whats the boot error?

If you just want the files, mout it as read only. 

I don't see why you need a clone here, just mount and copy files from the drive.