Got my hands on a 9800GTX+, but....

daddrian

I've got my hands on a 9800GTX+, the Galaxy 9800GTX+ 512MB to be exact.

The problem is that this is the first GPU I have which needs 2x 6-pin power connectors. My PSU has only one. I've used a 8800GT before, it had only one power connector and it ran fine, this 9800GTX+ consumes just a little bit more than the 8800GT due to the new 55nm vs 65nm, considering this, will it work with only one power connector plugged in? Has anyone tried this? Or is it a chance I'll fry the gpu?

gtx.jpg

gtx2.jpg

No harm in trying it, it won't fry the GPU.

Worst case scenario is that it won't boot because it needs both plugged in(never owned one so don't know if it does or not, some cards it works with, others it doesn't)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

On 5/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, RKRiley said:

No harm in trying it, it won't fry the GPU.

Worst case scenario is that it won't boot because it needs both plugged in(never owned one so don't know if it does or not, some cards it works with, others it doesn't)

Well the GPU works, installed the driver and it has 51*C in idle with 20% fan speed but I'm scared to play anything on it...I think at full use if it doesn't receive enough power it might break down....

The card should not even turn on without both connectors! Perhaps it's so old that does not have such "protection" as modern models.

Don't you have any molex to PCI-E adapters? It's fine to use these, seen that they are bundled with graphics cards since forever.

Which PSU is it? Generic?