Liquid metal on MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X, should be fine right?

gurkburk

This is not a discussion if its worth it or not. I simply want to know if it's fine or not. As far as I've found in my research around the web, it should be fine. But the information is vague.

So im asking you guys.

depends on the cooling plate material. I haven't seen a Nickel plated anything fail and most of them are Nickle plated Copper. If it is, should work just fine.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

depends on the cooling plate material. I haven't seen a Nickel plated anything fail and most of them are Nickle plated Copper. If it is, should work just fine.

It's CooLabaoratory liquid paste. I'm unsure about different Liquid pastes, but they should be the same?

Just now, gurkburk said:

It's CooLabaoratory liquid paste. I'm unsure about different Liquid pastes, but they should be the same?

They are almost all Gallium based, they are just alloyed a little differently between the brands.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

They are almost all Gallium based, they are just alloyed a little differently between the brands.

So all in all, it should be good to go?

3 minutes ago, gurkburk said:

So all in all, it should be good to go?

Well i'm not familiar with the cooling plate material or finishing of that GPU cooler, but if it is Nickel plated copper, yeah you should be good to go. one thing to remember is that it should be applied like a paint. VERY SPARINGLY. any squishing will likely eject excess that may come in contact with the SMDs that surround the Core.

I've got a lot of that myself, i've got not seen a need for using it on a GPU. Not trying to talk you out of it though. i know it'll stain the core and the nickel, however that's not a deal breaker really. if  guy was really torqued up about it, a light polishing with something like toothpaste would take out the stains. doesn't go deep, so it doesn't take much.

System specs:

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Well i'm not familiar with the cooling plate material or finishing of that GPU cooler, but if it is Nickel plated copper, yeah you should be good to go. one thing to remember is that it should be applied like a paint. VERY SPARINGLY. any squishing will likely eject excess that may come in contact with the SMDs that surround the Core.

I've got a lot of that myself, i've got not seen a need for using it on a GPU. Not trying to talk you out of it though. i know it'll stain the core and the nickel, however that's not a deal breaker really. if  guy was really torqued up about it, a light polishing with something like toothpaste would take out the stains. doesn't go deep, so it doesn't take much.

This is what it says on MSI's website:

• Smooth Heat Pipes: Squared shape at bottom maximize heat transfer from the copper base plate.

3 minutes ago, gurkburk said:

• Smooth Heat Pipes: Squared shape at bottom maximize heat transfer from the copper base plate.

As long as the base material is copper you will be alright you must be careful not to get it onto the aluminum heatsink fins or have too much liquid metal to where it spills off the chip. One thing that would be highly suggested is to conformal coat the capacitors around the GPU die to prevent any possibility of shorting. 

6 minutes ago, gurkburk said:

you're good to go.

System specs:

15 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Worth mentioning is that the entire thing is silver. The Heatsink, even where the liquid metal will touch. Does that make a difference?

4 minutes ago, gurkburk said:
22 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Worth mentioning is that the entire thing is silver. The Heatsink, even where the liquid metal will touch. Does that make a difference?

i didn't say it, BUT, that's the nickel plating i was referring to. Copper is the most popular metal to nickel plate for computers. as i stated earlier, a little staining of the GPU core and heat plate will occur over time, but it doesn't affect performance at all.

System specs:

Perfect, thank you :) Re-padding and pasting the thing :)