Major call for help

Fez760

I came out to find my mom upset with her laptop apparently some thing infected her computer or whatever and she "called" microsoft apparenty it was some biligerent person who wiped everything from her computer like everything i did i full clear reset but guys im really lost i need some help this is a bit beyond me

F

edit: Well, her computer is probably fucked. You can try some data recovery software. I think Macrium has a free tool.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

F

edit: Well, her computer is probably fucked. You can try some data recovery software. I think Macrium has a free tool.

the account for microsoft was still on it should we really even trust the computer anymore

Just now, Fez760 said:

the account for microsoft was still on it should we really even trust the computer anymore

Just reinstall windows and use a local account instead of logging into a Microsoft account if you're worried her Microsoft account is compromised.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Just reinstall windows and use a local account instead of logging into a Microsoft account if you're worried her Microsoft account is compromised.

It Refuses to reset it just says no changes are being made

Just now, Fez760 said:

It Refuses to reset it just says no changes are being made

Go get the Windows Media Creation tool and make a bootable flash drive and reinstall from that.

Oooohhh, smells like a scam to me.

Was it like a popup in a browser or was it a legitimate antivirus message (from like avast, AVG or MalwareBytes)? If it just randomly popped up in a browser it's a scam tech support.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$聽 聽Best part lists at different price聽points聽聽Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU:聽Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM:聽4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD:聽Seagate 500GB

GPU:聽Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST聽320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Oooohhh, smells like a scam to me.

Was it like a popup in a browser or was it a legitimate antivirus message (from like avast, AVG or MalwareBytes)? If it just randomly popped up in a browser it's a scam tech support.

Definite scam and she had frontiers antivirus installed im using avira

Spybot SAD Start center is the one thing on this computer that shouldnt be here does anyone have any insight on this

1 minute ago, Fez760 said:

Definite scam and she had frontiers antivirus installed im using avira

Wipe Windows and delete that Microsoft account ASAP before some of the personal data gets captured. I've been into this scambaiting thing for a while and I know that if you don't react quickly your data could be compromised.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$聽 聽Best part lists at different price聽points聽聽Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU:聽Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM:聽4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD:聽Seagate 500GB

GPU:聽Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST聽320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I'm with everyone,聽 wipe the drive -- if she paid someone,聽 charge back.

There are professional data recovery services that specialize in that. Some you skip the drive to them, others you drop off the drive in person. It would be very hard to fully wipe a drive using something that is not specialized software. I know Segate has a software they send you if you have to send in a drive for a replacement. Try to see if there is a professional service near you that can help you. There are some softwares that let you do it but not with as high success rate.聽

Just now, Donny_Chen said:

I'm with everyone,聽 wipe the drive -- if she paid someone,聽 charge back.

I agree with the payment part, however, you can usually stop credit card charges before they hit by calling your company. If you gave them bank account info, or used a debit card, try freezing the account before they can withdraw the money.聽

Just now, cflanders said:

I agree with the payment part, however, you can usually stop credit card charges before they hit by calling your company. If you gave them bank account info, or used a debit card, try freezing the account before they can withdraw the money.聽

She DIDNNT pay luckily the guy apparently got really pissy when she didnt thats when they just wiped it all i know is the laptop refuses to do a clean reset and it wil not uninstall this spybot SAD shit

2 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

She DIDNNT pay luckily the guy apparently got really pissy when she didnt thats when they just wiped it all i know is the laptop refuses to do a clean reset and it wil not uninstall this spybot SAD shit

Backup the drive now. Then shut down the computer and do a clean install of windows. Then try training your mom on some tech common sense. Don't give others control of your computer, don't run things if you don't know what they are, etc.

2 minutes ago, cflanders said:

Backup the drive now. Then shut down the computer and do a clean install of windows. Then try training your mom on some tech common sense. Don't give others control of your computer, don't run things if you don't know what they are, etc.

How very nice of you but it was an honest mistake of using microsofts image i would have hestated admitedly but i wouldnt do it聽

4 minutes ago, cflanders said:

screw that, if the drive is compromised, a backup is simply mirroring a compromised file structure.

nuke and pave a clean version of windows. Her shit is GONE.

notify the bank that your login credentials may be compromised and get them changed ASAP. same with any other sensitive online logins.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System聽specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe聽+ 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti -聽LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

screw that, if the drive is compromised, a backup is simply mirroring a compromised file structure.

nuke and pave a clean version of windows. Her shit is GONE.

notify the bank that your login credentials may be compromised and get them changed ASAP. same with any other sensitive online logins.

Straight forward and helpfull in progress right now

2 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

How very nice of you but it was an honest mistake of using microsofts image i would have hestated admitedly but i wouldnt do it聽

No no no no no... Don't use microsoft's tool, use the copy paste function to another drive for a much better experience. You just have to move everything out of its folders into its place and wait for it to copy on the wiped drive.聽

Just now, cflanders said:

No no no no no... Don't use microsoft's tool, use the copy paste function to another drive for a much better experience. You just have to move everything out of its folders into its place and wait for it to copy on the wiped drive.聽

31 minutes ago, Fez760 said:

she "called" microsoft apparenty it was some biligerent person who wiped everything from her computer like everything

what is there to copy?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System聽specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe聽+ 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti -聽LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

what is there to copy?

Assuming you go to a professional service of course. Just be glad he didn't SYSKey her