Deaf in One ear. Single sided deaf. Pseudo stereo perception.

SgtKieraro

Hi guys, just asking if anyone here knows a program that can increase the pitch of audio in left channel then routes the output to right speaker while playing a game :(

Im deaf in Left ear so it will be a great help playing games with headset.

All I see is program like audacity but it only works on recorded media files and not modifying in audio in real time

The important thing here is increasing the pitch of left channel before routing to right side. Technically it is same as making mono, but if I make it mono without increasing the pitch, I cant tell if it is left or right..

Ive done playing First person Shooter with mono, it sucks, I'd rather play hearing right side only than playing in mono since I will confuse left and right sources; : atleast in stereo, I know if the sound is from right..

Just now, SgtKieraro said:

Hi guys, just asking if anyone here knows a program that can increase the pitch of audio in left channel then routes the output to right speaker while playing a game :(

All I see is program like audacity but it only works on recorded media files and not modifying in audio in real time

The important thing here is increasing the pitch of left channel before routing to right side. Technically it is same as making mono, but if I make it mono without increasing the pitch, I cant tell if it is left or right..

Ive done playing First person Shooter with mono, it sucks, I'd rather play hearing right side only than playing in mono since I will confuse left and right sources; : atleast in stereo, I know if the sound is from right..

So you want to route both channels of audio to the right ear, but have the left channel be a higher frequency then what is coming from the right channel? Using pitch to differentiate the stereo channels? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

What you want is this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

It can do all sorts of things to your system audio "live", including EQ, copying / moving the signal from one channel to the other, and processing any (or all) channel(s) in different ways, including using VST plugins.

The trick will just be finding a VST that does what you need.  You would think such a basic thing as shifting pitch would be simple but I recently went on a search for this and was disappointed.  Best I could find was this: http://aegeanmusic.com/pitchproof-specs

It works but it has limited shifting range and was a little finicky.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Humbie said:

Instead of software, I think you might be better off with a single-sided stereo headphone like the Yuni: https://www.amazon.com/3D-Central-Single-Sided-Headphone-Headphones/dp/B06XYJ1WT3

This way you can plug it into any device to hear in stereo, not just on your PC ;-)

I LOVE this idea... But I am hesitant to recommend a 3D printed pair of headphones. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I would actually suggest getting a pair of bone-conduction headphones, the price is steep for a good pair, but I'm pretty sure that'll fix your deafness.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Brink2Three said:

I LOVE this idea... But I am hesitant to recommend a 3D printed pair of headphones. 

Yeah, I said something like it... I'm not specifically recommending it but it's just the first one I've found.

My father-in-law has the same issue where he became deaf on his left side & he has a headphone like this but I don't exactly know which one.

I'll ask & keep you posted!

3 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I would actually suggest getting a pair of bone-conduction headphones, the price is steep for a good pair, but I'm pretty sure that'll fix your deafness.

Really?  No offence intended to you personally, but I would be shocked and appalled if some random person on the internet can fix his deafness.  Reason being that surely he's been through various medical discussions and tests where this would have been considered at some point already, and if not, then that is unfortunate and rather unbelievable.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ashiella said:

Bone conduction still won't work (Depending on his level of deafness) since it still has to go through his eardrum to actually detect sound waves. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Really?  No offence intended to you personally, but I would be shocked and appalled if some random person on the internet can fix his deafness.  Reason being that surely he's been through various medical discussions and tests where this would have been considered at some point already, and if not, then that is unfortunate and rather unbelievable.

Guess you didn't get my meaning, I have trouble conveying that often times.

2 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Bone conduction still won't work (Depending on his level of deafness) since it still has to go through his eardrum to actually detect sound waves. 

If he has at least one function cochlea then it should work. Bone conduction can help.. Unless he is completely deaf, thats a different story, and if OP is then he can just ignore my comment.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

If he has at least one function cochlea then it should work. Bone conduction can help.. Unless he is completely deaf, thats a different story, and if OP is then he can just ignore my comment.

I mean maybe it will help, and I wish him all the best.  I just mean surely they've been down that road already, so to speak - we're not likely gonna be able to suggest something the many medical professionals he's seen haven't already considered.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean maybe it will help, and I wish him all the best.  I just mean surely they've been down that road already, so to speak - we're not likely gonna be able to suggest something the many medical professionals he's seen haven't already considered.

It's still a possibility, he hasn't said he tried it (although likely)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Yes, but that's not the point. He wants a way to make it easier to tell the difference between what would be left and right channels of stereo. (why he wants different pitches.) 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

1 minute ago, Brink2Three said:

Yes, but that's not the point. He wants a way to make it easier to tell the difference between what would be left and right channels of stereo. (why he wants different pitches.) 

Just suggesting something that might work better than what he wants if it does.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi Thanks for everyone that respond to this. Im really sorry that Ive gone to sleep after posting this so Im not able to see your response immediately, just so you know, my left ear has been totally deaf, not even a faint sound, since birth. Im deaf at nerve level, things like amplifier or bone conduction will not work. What Ryan Vickers mentioned first looks promising. I was also told on one of me discord group that I should check out Voicemeeter. I will try to look on both of it and will get back on this post once I did research.
Please do not mention CROS technology since that is not suitable for gaming - it is same as mono headset if I tried to use. I already have one and I use it occasionally.

Edited by SgtKieraro

• 8 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 2:42 AM, SgtKieraro said:

Hello I make headphones for the single-sided deaf community called the 2E1 which stands for "Two Ears In One" where both the left and right drivers are placed inside the ear cup so you can hear left and right in a game and differentiate the channels. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2E1-Two-Ears-In-One-True-Stereo-Headphones-For-The-Single-Sided-Deaf-Community/283272193147?hash=item41f456a47b:m:mrjNH6AN7dKiaIWoaadZtng:rk:1:pf:0

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Have you seen Razer's new feedback system? 

It uses surround sound information and makes the devices vibrate in that general direction

Other than headphones, I've never heard of any headphones being tuned for spatial awareness for one ear, i think speakers would still probably be best for you

Also i just noticed how old this post was 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

• 2 years later...
On 5/3/2018 at 2:57 AM, vanished said:

i am also deaf in my leaf ear but I believe what he says. peoples ears can be screwed in a lot of different ways. mine has some bones broken which doesn't effect my cochlear(bone) hearing to bad. and to get headphones to transfer high quality audio through it would be crazy i havn't looked into ever but makes sence. Cochlear implants, a bone hearing aid r a thing tho ik that.