ASUS ROG Laptop Black Screen

So my friend bought a brand new laptop yesterday. It is an ASUS ROG gaming laptop with a 7700HQ CPU, 16GB of RAM, GTX 1050 4GB ver, with a 1TB HD. The issue is it now randomly after literally 1 day stutters incredibly bad during games. Overwatch for example now freezes randomly and after a while it completely turns off the display. Then he has to reboot the laptop to get video back. 

The thing is it was perfectly fine the day he got it. Just started doing this the next day when he started playing again. We have been checking his tempts. Nothing is out of the ordinary. It gets only as hot as 70c under full load which is pretty good for a laptop and no where near the danger zone for this sort of issue. We even under clocked it thinking maybe the factory overclock was the issue since it had a 100mhz OC.

I am out of ideas as of right now because the entire situation makes no sense. It's not overheating, his frame rates seem fine getting a constant 120FPS until the random freezing happens. Drops to 15 and locks the screen and then shoots back up after 2-4 seconds of freezing.

As of right now debating on if he should return it. If anyone knows a solution please help.

Try clean install Windows. If possible add a SSD and install Windows into it

Also, why buy Asus ROG laptop. Their FX and GL lineup have mediocre cooling (try Prime95+Furmark and see how the cooling system dies. Loud fan noise and hot surface+inner temps). Also poor QC+QA

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

An SSD won't effect the problem at all. As for a fresh install maybe. But I don't see what that matters when it worked literally yesterday and nothings been changed.

As for the laptop, that is what he wanted.

19 minutes ago, Zeriu said:

An SSD won't effect the problem at all. As for a fresh install maybe. But I don't see what that matters when it worked literally yesterday and nothings been changed.

As for the laptop, that is what he wanted.

if a reinstall of windows doesnt fix it, i would return it as defective and get a replacement 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

15 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

if a reinstall of windows doesnt fix it, i would return it as defective and get a replacement 

Hmm ok will do a re install of windows to start fresh since nothings on it anyhow yet. It came pre installed with an OEM version of Winodws 10. I assume can just grab his windows key inside windows and then install it using that key correct? Just don't want to re install and then he can't activate windows anymore. Or is there a better way of doing this?

It shouldn't even ask for the key. It will know there is already an installation and use the same key

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

It shouldn't even ask for the key. It will know there is already an installation and use the same key

What id be doing though is completely formatting the drive first before the new installation.