G-Sync vs 144hz

Fyre
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
4 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

Is there a significant difference between 144hz and G-Sync 144hz that is worth more money?

144Hz and G-Sync are different things. A 144Hz monitor still introduce tearing if your frame rate is not 144 or a factor of it (72, 36, 18, 9). G-Sync will prevent tearing if your frame rate is not the same as the refresh rate by telling the monitor when to update the image.

Otherwise, if you had to choose between one or the other:

• 144Hz if you can guarantee your video card can perform that well most of the time
  • G-Sync if you can't guarantee the above.

I've been looking at monitors to buy, and I'm interested in either a G-Sync or a 144hz monitor. I was wondering from your experiences, which is better/smoother, and which can I get for a cheaper price. 

Here are my specs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rLpnzM

G-SYNC monitor usually are 144hz or higher, so not sure what you're asking here.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Is there a significant difference between 144hz and G-Sync 144hz that is worth more money?

G-SYNC is a proprietary adaptive sync solution using a module (piece of hardware) to connect the montior to a Nvidia graphics card. Nothing to do with the refresh rate of the monitor, but unless it's 4k most G-SYNC monitors are over 144hz. 

You might be asking if it's OK to get a Freesync monitor, they use software to produce adaptive sync rather than hardware, and are thus cheaper. Still proprietary though, so any Freesync monitor will not give you adaptive sync. 

4 minutes ago, Apex_X said:

144Hz and G-Sync are different things. A 144Hz monitor still introduce tearing if your frame rate is not 144 or a factor of it (72, 36, 18, 9). G-Sync will prevent tearing if your frame rate is not the same as the refresh rate by telling the monitor when to update the image.

• 144Hz if you can guarantee your video card can perform that well most of the time
Edited by M.Yurizaki

Just now, Apex_X said:

its two different things though. Gysnyc is a technology that syncs the frame output of your gpu to the screen refresh rate. 144hz is just a high refresh rate monitor (144 refreshes per second instead of standard 60 hz)

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

whaaaa, ive never heard this. very cool

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Where is there a 144hz monitor, that's not adaptive sync? 

1 minute ago, MrBucket101 said:

VG248QE

probably the most prolific 144hz monitor, w/o gsync

Huh, would you look at that. Wonder why it's not Freesync. Older platform maybe. 

Just now, App4that said:

Huh, would you look at that. Wonder why it's not Freesync. Older platform maybe. 

yup, it launched about 6mo to a year before nvidia unveiled G-sync. nvidia for a while actually sold a module you could install yourself to add gsync to the monitor. But it was a really bad experience to install. Linus did a video about it at the time