Screen tearing with G-sync on

Hello.

I've been wondering lately about why i'm getting quite excessive screen tearing even with a G-sync monitor. First i checked that my monitors refresh rate was overclocked to the maximum of 100hz and that g-sync was enabled both from the monitor and from the nvidia control panel and they were. I am aware that g-sync only works from 30fps up to the monitors maximum refresh rate and i have made sure that the fps has been limited to 99fps when ever it has been possible to limit frame rates, if limiting was not possible i just increased graphical settings until i got under 100fps. I am 100% sure g-sync worked in the autumn of 2016 when i bought this monitor and somewhere along the way it has stopped working.

So i started googling about this because it doesn't make me feel good that this monitor was quite expensive and now the g-sync doesn't work (despite g-sync indicator saying it's on) and most of the fixes i've found tells me to enable v-sync. I don't understand why because g-sync should be hardware based where gpu and the monitor are speaking with each other about when to refresh the image to the screen thus eliminating screen tearing without added input lag. Enabling v-sync does eliminate screen tearing but it also does it for a 60hz non g-sync monitor and with noticeable input lag.

Have i completely misunderstood g-sync that it should work without v-sync? Or is there some setting somewhere i'm missing? Feels a bit pointless to have a g-sync monitor if it doesn't work without v-sync on.

Hopefully there is a solution for this.

win 10, game bar and dvr disabled

acer x34a

gtx 1080 (asus)

i7 8700k

32bg ram

samsung 960evo

In your Nvidia control panel there should be a seperate tab for G-sync. If you turn on v-sync, you turn off g-sync. 

If the game goes over 100fps it will depend on the g-sync settings what it does. Either v-sync or tear.

15 minutes ago, Majestic said:

In your Nvidia control panel there should be a seperate tab for G-sync. If you turn on v-sync, you turn off g-sync. 

If the game goes over 100fps it will depend on the g-sync settings what it does. Either v-sync or tear.

G-sync is enabled for both windowed and full screen and the game has been limited under 100fps and still tears. You're saying G-sync shouldn't eliminate screen tearing in the first place? Either v-sync or tear?

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

This is why it will never be a succes, people don't understand how monitors work.

Have you checked the G-sync tab in the driver control panel or not?

Yes i checked it and G-sync is enabled for both, windowed and full screen as i replied to you already.

1 minute ago, Kalle said:

Yes i checked it and G-sync is enabled for both, windowed and full screen as i replied to you already.

Is vsync disabled in the game as well? Because it should work. 

Just now, Majestic said:

Is vsync disabled in the game as well? Because it should work. 

Yes, V-sync is disabled in game as well. I know it should work but it doesn't. I even checked that i have the latest driver. 

2 hours ago, Kalle said:

Yes, V-sync is disabled in game as well. I know it should work but it doesn't. I even checked that i have the latest driver. 

Not sure man, have you also checked the OSD on the panel itself? Also, can you try forcing it on an application-basis? (Under 3D settings)

Could also be "fullscreen optimization" from windows, look it up.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Not sure man, have you also checked the OSD on the panel itself? Also, can you try forcing it on an application-basis? (Under 3D settings)

Could also be "fullscreen optimization" from windows, look it up.

Yes, g-sync is on from the panels menu. Looked up fullscreen optimization and switching it on or off doesn't seem to have any kind of effect. There is no option to force g-sync to a specific application only to either use it or use fixed framerate