Trouble with a lot of things

Shihab28
Go to solution Solved by Shihab28,

Ok, there's some good news, I think I've solved the problem, I don't know if it's permanently fixed or not.

So firstly my icons for store apps weren't loading too, so I fixed them by running wsreset.exe from start menu, it did fix the icons alright.

After that I right clicked a .rar file, now this has only 2 option to load, instead of like 5-6 for music files, so what I saw that first time it flickered, but then when I hovered over it again, it opened smoothly, then I right clicked on a .mp3 file again, and it worked, maybe it's temporary, maybe permanent, don't know, let's see.

Lowkey, I think it's fixed, maybe the icons for the windows store apps was causing all the hassle all this time.

I hope I'm posting this under the correct Forum, so basically there are about 2-3 problems I'm facing :
1. Having trouble copy pasting flies anywhere on the entire laptop : I basically can't copy/cut paste anything properly, it hangs up when I right click and go to the open with option very often too. Basically I'm finding explorer very buggy for some reason. Also, whenever I go to "This PC" or any other location, the green bar keeps loading forever, although the items have all appeared. 
2. Having trouble using chrome since the last update came (atleast I started noticing problems since then) : I tend to see black boxes on the screen, it's random when it shows up, but I have no idea why it does that.

Now a few points to note : Recently there have been heavy power cuts, like 5 mins there is power and then the next five there is none, so the laptop went through a lot of unexpected shutdowns and restarts as the laptop's battery is dead and I run it directly from the power outlet. Secondly, I've only very recently started facing this problems, I don't recall installing any new software. I've reinstalled the BIOS, it seemed to work, but going to have to check it more thoroughly, the google chrome problem seems to have been fixed, but explorer still very buggy. And I'm going to check my hard drive from the BIOS, to see if it's the hard drive that causing the explorer to act weird.

My laptop is a HP Compaq CQ56-100 (I know it's very old and outdated, I have an even older one), specs :
Intel Celeron Dual-Core T3500 @2.1GHz
4GB DDR2 @399MHz
500GB HDD @5400 RPM
Windows 10 Pro Version 1709, Build 16299.371
IDK what else you guys might need, ask me I'll try to get you the info

I've finished the hard disk check from the BIOS, nothing, no problems in the hard drive, now I'll have to try some other software.
I don't know but why can't I right click and reach till the "Open with" option? it's so awkward, I don't get it.

Just now, Shihab28 said:

I've finished the hard disk check from the BIOS, nothing, no problems in the hard drive, now I'll have to try some other software.
I don't know but why can't I right click and reach till the "Open with" option? it's so awkward, I don't get it.

pull up a command prompt

run a SFC /scannow (be prepared with a Windows install disk if need be)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I did, it showed some errors in the log file, here it is. I don't think I'm qualified enough to tell what all of the errors are, the only error I recognize is the change in the file opengl32.dll , that's something I had to do to make an app run, but I can tell that that doesn't have any relationship with this problem because the laptop was working fine till the last few days and the problems are very recent.

Btw I just experience the google chrome glitch again.

CBS.log

52 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

I hope I'm posting this under the correct Forum, so basically there are about 2-3 problems I'm facing :
1. Having trouble copy pasting flies anywhere on the entire laptop : I basically can't copy/cut paste anything properly, it hangs up when I right click and go to the open with option very often too. Basically I'm finding explorer very buggy for some reason. Also, whenever I go to "This PC" or any other location, the green bar keeps loading forever, although the items have all appeared. 
2. Having trouble using chrome since the last update came (atleast I started noticing problems since then) : I tend to see black boxes on the screen, it's random when it shows up, but I have no idea why it does that.

Now a few points to note : Recently there have been heavy power cuts, like 5 mins there is power and then the next five there is none, so the laptop went through a lot of unexpected shutdowns and restarts as the laptop's battery is dead and I run it directly from the power outlet. Secondly, I've only very recently started facing this problems, I don't recall installing any new software. I've reinstalled the BIOS, it seemed to work, but going to have to check it more thoroughly, the google chrome problem seems to have been fixed, but explorer still very buggy. And I'm going to check my hard drive from the BIOS, to see if it's the hard drive that causing the explorer to act weird.

My laptop is a HP Compaq CQ56-100 (I know it's very old and outdated, I have an even older one), specs :
4GB DDR2 @399MHz
500GB HDD @5400 RPM

Yea, I second running some disk checkers. You probably need to defrag your hard drive or wipe it clean and start over / reinstall windows.

To be real honest though, that computer is showing it's age.

It's time for an upgrade.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, I second running some disk checkers. You probably need to defrag your hard drive or wipe it clean and start over.

To be real honest though, that computer is showing it's age.

It's time for an upgrade.

Defragged with Defraggler, no use, escond running will take time, I need it to get fixed ASAP because exams are like a week away, studying all the way.

7 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

Defragged with Defraggler, no use, escond running will take time, I need it to get fixed ASAP because exams are like a week away, studying all the way.

Backup your data and reinstall windows at this point.

All you can do.

I'd get to studying for those exams though and use some other computer even if it's the school library's.

Don't waste time troubleshooting that could be spent studying ;) 

Troubleshooting stuff like this can take a while so it's a bad idea to keep pursing it if you only have a week to study left.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Backup your data and reinstall windows at this point.

All you can do.

I'd get to studying for those exams though and use some other computer even if it's the school library's.

Don't waste time troubleshooting that could be spent studying ;) 

Troubleshooting stuff like this can take a while so it's a bad idea to keep pursing it if you only have a week to study left.

I'm having problems copying files, so can't do much about backup, I have the most important files for studying either in the Google classroom, or in my pendrive, which also incudes an OTG converter. Have to work with this laptop only because 1. my parents won't buy me a new one, and 2. everything's here. don't think it's a good idea to rush into re-installing windows now, will do that after the exams end, have to work with this broken thing.

image.png.116929ec51e51e742b50f54aae698348.pngHere's an example of what the Google Chrome problem looks like.

3 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

image.png.116929ec51e51e742b50f54aae698348.pngHere's an example of what the Google Chrome problem looks like.

Yea, you're going to want to pull that data off the drive from another computer once your exams are over and you have a chance to have another go at it.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, you're going to want to pull that data off the drive from another computer once your exams are over and you have a chance to have another go at it.

So you're suggesting my hard drive is dying?

5 minutes ago, Shihab28 said:

So you're suggesting my hard drive is dying?

Not assuming that yet, just saying that if you can't copy and paste, that's what you're going to have to do to save the data on there ;)

5 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Not assuming that yet, just saying that if you can't copy and paste, that's what you're going to have to do to save the data on there ;)

:'(

Sounds like a virus, overheating, HDD failure or very serious Windows 10 install bug/driver bug... mainly, all the easy fixes are taking data off and reinstalling/cleaning the system. :(

use crystaldiskinfo and post your screenshot. I bet its got a caution or warning on it.

If not then run in cmd:

chkdsk /f c:

Y to select yes. Reboot. Let it run disk check.

Then when back to desktop open elevated CMD and type:

sfc /scannow

If it finds some errors try repairing the image:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Can someone tell me why explorer hangs up here? The only temporary solution to this I've found is just restarting explorer by force closing it when I keep clicking the window, because I can't even access task manager properly. It doesn't want to show up.
image.png.025dcf37ce21a90b25ae4392343d30e0.png
image.png.b012ee97b08a8e58dc006658cccdc204.png

30 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Sounds like a virus, overheating, HDD failure or very serious Windows 10 install bug/driver bug... mainly, all the easy fixes are taking data off and reinstalling/cleaning the system. :(

No viruses except for a false positive, no overheating confirmed, laptop is at a constant 60-70 degrees and doesn't go higher. Working on the HDD tests using SeaTools now, will go to CrystalDiskInfo after this one passes.

38 minutes ago, userzero said:

use crystaldiskinfo and post your screenshot. I bet its got a caution or warning on it.

If not then run in cmd:

chkdsk /f c:

Y to select yes. Reboot. Let it run disk check.

Then when back to desktop open elevated CMD and type:

sfc /scannow

If it finds some errors try repairing the image:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

image.png.2f1175c0082cfd3194d7439635e1aacb.png

I don't see any caution, lol.

Can someone tell me what this means?
This is the crash report I found, disabled every 3rd party context menu, but still no hope, so finally found this, I'm sure someone can tell me what's wrong.
image.png.90f98961d140249650d2dad2262946ee.png

9 hours ago, Shihab28 said:

4GB DDR2 @399MHz
500GB HDD @5400 RPM

Running Win 10 on that computer may not be the best for it, as file explorer has gotten very resource intensive graphics wise in the last couple windowses. I'd suggest turning off all graphical settings for windows (Like aero, etc. If you don't know how, google it :P) I personally have a Mac that's similar and when I dual boot, I wouldn't go newer than Win 7 Pro.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

9 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Running Win 10 on that computer may not be the best for it, as file explorer has gotten very resource intensive graphics wise in the last couple windowses. I'd suggest turning off all graphical settings for windows (Like aero, etc. If you don't know how, google it :P) I personally have a Mac that's similar and when I dual boot, I wouldn't go newer than Win 7 Pro.

I know the limits, it's ok, I've tuned it accordingly, lag isn't much of the issue here, the problem is now the context menu hanging up. When I right click on a file, for example a song, and even hover over the "Open With..." button (the one wit the arrow at the right, not the one without arrow) the entire of windows explorer hangs up. Also when I move to a folder, or sometimes even the drive list, the green loading bar keeps going on forever, like this is very recent, didn't see this in all this time, the laptop was working fine till about 3-4 days ago.

The Google Chrome thing might have stopped, haven't quite seen it this morning, let's hope for the best.
Edit : The Chrome problem hasn't stopped, now I'm trying to disable hardware acceleration in chrome to see if that fixes it.

17 hours ago, Shihab28 said:

I know the limits, it's ok, I've tuned it accordingly, lag isn't much of the issue here, the problem is now the context menu hanging up. When I right click on a file, for example a song, and even hover over the "Open With..." button (the one wit the arrow at the right, not the one without arrow) the entire of windows explorer hangs up. Also when I move to a folder, or sometimes even the drive list, the green loading bar keeps going on forever, like this is very recent, didn't see this in all this time, the laptop was working fine till about 3-4 days ago.

The Google Chrome thing might have stopped, haven't quite seen it this morning, let's hope for the best.
Edit : The Chrome problem hasn't stopped, now I'm trying to disable hardware acceleration in chrome to see if that fixes it.

Interesting, could you try doing this with task manager open to see what happens? I've never had this sort of problem and it'd be interesting to see if anything changes.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.