MSI Z97 random freezing

Kenjo

Hey, 

My friend bought a used z97 MSI Gaming 5 + i5 4670k and 8gb ddr3, we installed 2 x hd 6970 cards and the issues arose, It would randomly freeze up / reboot after 1-3h of gameplay, he took it over to my place i had a look ordered a Hypo 212 Evo slapped it on and the CPU went from 80c to 53c under load and we thought the issue was solved... but it still remained... so he bought a 1060 6gb on the cheap and we removed the xfire cards and put that one in, the thing booted fine and ran fine while here but not for any long period, it STILL randomly reboots after 1-3h of Fortnite gaming at his place... the PSU is a 750w Corsair unit and should be more than enough to power the components.. the full specs below: 

I5-4670k STOCK SPEEDS
Z97 MSI Gaming 5
2x 4gb DDr3 1600mhz
Gtx 1060 6gb
1x 120gb WD SSD (green) 
1x 1tb 7200 rpm Mechanical drive
1x optical drive 

We also tried changing the PCI-E slot to see if there was anything at fault there and have tried 2x8gb 1600mhz ddr3 in the memory slots 1 - 3, 2-4... also with his 2x4gb sticks and nothing changes.... 
Having a hard time figuring out what it is since the 2x hd6970 cards togheter pull more juice than the 1060 alone im quite confident it isnt the PSU ... 

Could it be bios update ? 
Could it be a dying Motherboard ? 

Any help would be appreciated , thank you very much 

17 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

the PSU is a 750w Corsair unit and should be more than enough to power the components.. 

Never assume ;)  try a different PSU.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

41 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Will have to take that under consideration when i speak to him today, his kids should have been gaming for 5h solid yesterday and most likely he will inform me of anything happening

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

New information, when using a headset with mic in the front ports it hangs alot and when not using a headset it hangs less ;)

I had a Z170 Mainboard that would do the exact same thing when the Front USB 3.0 Header is plugged in.

Maybe you could remove the Front Audio cables and try again?

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

4 hours ago, Kenjo said:

Hey, 

My friend bought a used z97 MSI Gaming 5 + i5 4670k and 8gb ddr3, we installed 2 x hd 6970 cards and the issues arose, It would randomly freeze up / reboot after 1-3h of gameplay, he took it over to my place i had a look ordered a Hypo 212 Evo slapped it on and the CPU went from 80c to 53c under load and we thought the issue was solved... but it still remained... so he bought a 1060 6gb on the cheap and we removed the xfire cards and put that one in, the thing booted fine and ran fine while here but not for any long period, it STILL randomly reboots after 1-3h of Fortnite gaming at his place... the PSU is a 750w Corsair unit and should be more than enough to power the components.. the full specs below: 

I5-4670k STOCK SPEEDS
Z97 MSI Gaming 5
2x 4gb DDr3 1600mhz
Gtx 1060 6gb
1x 120gb WD SSD (green) 
1x 1tb 7200 rpm Mechanical drive
1x optical drive 

We also tried changing the PCI-E slot to see if there was anything at fault there and have tried 2x8gb 1600mhz ddr3 in the memory slots 1 - 3, 2-4... also with his 2x4gb sticks and nothing changes.... 
Having a hard time figuring out what it is since the 2x hd6970 cards togheter pull more juice than the 1060 alone im quite confident it isnt the PSU ... 

Could it be bios update ? 
Could it be a dying Motherboard ? 

Any help would be appreciated , thank you very much 

Sounds like a bad PSU to me, but don't assume that yet.

I find z97 boards notoriously bad for troubleshooting issues these days if you're running windows 10 with them.

Great boards that'll build you a very capable system, but not without a few headaches.

.First, clear your CMOS.

.Then open your reliability history (hit windows key, type reliability history), and look for any red errors, double click them and post what they say here, also do the same with any yellow warnings for failed updates.

23 hours ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

I had a Z170 Mainboard that would do the exact same thing when the Front USB 3.0 Header is plugged in.

Maybe you could remove the Front Audio cables and try again?

thats an excellent idea.. will tell the fatty friend to do that ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Update; 

His PSU is a Fractal Integra r2... Tier 6... going to test his system with my rm750x v2 psu this week or next.. its sweltering warm here atm ;( 

55 minutes ago, Kenjo said:

Update; 

His PSU is a Fractal Integra r2... Tier 6... going to test his system with my rm750x v2 psu this week or next.. its sweltering warm here atm ;( 

Eww. That's a fire hazard LOL.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro