Found a Model M, will it work with my computer?

koolerone

My dad and I were cleaning out the garage and found an old IBM Model M, it looks like it had been outside for a little bit and maybe rained on but I feel like it will pull through that but mainly, will it work with my newer computer if I buy a DIN to PS/2 adapter?  I know other people have done it but I just don't know if it wouldn't work because some are 5v and some are 12v and the XT/AT stuff, just wanted to confirm that it will work before I buy an adapter to use it, thanks.

here are pics of the keyboard and the S/N 

IMG_7892.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

o.O A 1984 model! nice find!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Pics of the back? It should just take the standard model M cable.

Mine both do anyway.

I have it drying in the garage and I don't feel like going outside to take a pic :P but it uses the detachable rj45 looking port that plugs into the keyboard

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

1 minute ago, koolerone said:

I have it drying in the garage and I don't feel like going outside to take a pic :P but it uses the detachable rj45 looking port that plugs into the keyboard

Same as mine. I'd just pick up the PS2 to that adapter of the internet, thats what I did with mine.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Same as mine. I'd just pick up the PS2 to that adapter of the internet, thats what I did with mine.

ok, thanks man. I've always wanted a Model M and apparently today has been my lucky day :D 

Make sure you get an active adapter for digital to PS/2

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

First of all, very nice find. Square label with the thick black din cable is easily the most desirable of the normal model M keyboards, even if the cable does look a bit messed up (NOS cables are available).

It will work fine assuming that the cable is OK (visually it looks all dirty and bent out of shape, but it should be fine. I suggest rewinding the coil) all you need is an active PS2 to USB adapter, as well as a DIN to PS2 adapter. The recommended PS2 to USB adapter is the Sanoxy Blue Cube (Found on amazon) because it supports the higher voltage that some of the older Model Ms used. It's worth the extra few dollars.

Get a pigtail DIN to PS2 adapter like this, otherwise it will get unwieldy

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Keyboard-Adapter-MiniDin6/dp/B0016RTO1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525056649&sr=8-1&keywords=din+to+ps2

And here is a link to the blue cube, just in case

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-SANOXY_USB-PS2-PS2-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS

5 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

First of all, very nice find. Square label with the thick black din cable is easily the most desirable of the normal model M keyboards, even if the cable does look a bit messed up (NOS cables are available).

It will work fine assuming that the cable is OK (visually it looks all dirty and bent out of shape, but it should be fine. I suggest rewinding the coil) all you need is an active PS2 to USB adapter, as well as a DIN to PS2 adapter. The recommended PS2 to USB adapter is the Sanoxy Blue Cube (Found on amazon) because it supports the higher voltage that some of the older Model Ms used. It's worth the extra few dollars.

Get a pigtail DIN to PS2 adapter like this, otherwise it will get unwieldy

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Keyboard-Adapter-MiniDin6/dp/B0016RTO1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525056649&sr=8-1&keywords=din+to+ps2

And here is a link to the blue cube, just in case

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-SANOXY_USB-PS2-PS2-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS

I've got an older model M (Nov '86) and it works fine right off PS/2. Mine doesn't even have the LEDs fitted.