Missing CPU threads

hacksmack

I just recently bought a core i3 3240 for my dell optiplex 7010 sff. But in task manager it is showing up only as 2 cores and 2 threads can anyone help me out? Must mention though I think I have bent some pins on the socket but managed to bend them back as the system still does boot just with missing threads. But when comparing cinebench r15 scores I got 205 which is on par with others. Is there a system bug not showing the additional cores or have I actually broken something. Someone please help xD

Pretty sure the i3s just recently became 4 cores. The one you have is a 2 core with hyperthreading. So 2 cores 4 threads.

intel ark confirms:

https://ark.intel.com/products/65690/Intel-Core-i3-3240-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

if it  only state 2 threads then see if you have hyperthreading enabled in bios.

Just now, NoobCase said:

Pretty sure the i3s just recently became 4 cores. The one you have is a 2 core with hyperthreading. So 2 cores 4 threads.

But then shouldnt task manager state the number of logic processors as well?

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How many logical processors does Task Manager say you have?

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

It only states 2 for the logical processor when Im pretty sure it should say 4. 

Just now, hacksmack said:

It only states 2 for the logical processor when Im pretty sure it should say 4. 

Might be related to those bent pins you mentioned.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Might be related to those bent pins you mentioned.

so then I assume it is actually still possible for the pc to boot even if some pins dont work? and im not sure but does hyperthreading affect cinebench scores cause my cpu still scores around the same 

Bending pins shouldn't matter, unless you crossed a power supply pin with something.

Two places to check would be the BIOS/UEFI to make sure the option for Hyperthreading is enabled and in msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced to make sure that Windows isn't restricting itself on how many logical processors to use.

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

See my above edit

Ah gotcha but how do I go about with it on the optiplex bios cause it isnt the typical laid out bios choices. I have searched but dont see an option that allows me to unlock the threads.

Your Chip isn't technically a Quad core - It is a Dual Core with Hyper threading. So you will have 4 threads and 2 Logical cores.  I would check the BIOS to make sure the hyper threading isn't disabled - I know on some pre-builts this is the case. I would also double check the pins and see if you can correct them.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Bending pins shouldn't matter, unless you crossed a power supply pin with something.

Two places to check would be the BIOS/UEFI to make sure the option for Hyperthreading is enabled and in msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced to make sure that Windows isn't restricting itself on how many logical processors to use.

is it the tick box for number of processors? I have clicked and applied and when restarted the cpu went to 1 core 1 logical processor xD

Just now, NoobCase said:

Which optiplex?

7010 sff

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

This would technically work, but Task Manager will still report how many logical processors there are if they're not enabled.

1 minute ago, Agent Maine said:

Your Chip isn't technically a Quad core - It is a Dual Core with Hyper threading. So you will have 4 threads and 2 Logical cores.  I would check the BIOS to make sure the hyper threading isn't disabled - I know on some pre-builts this is the case. I would also double check the pins and see if you can correct them.

The chip is a dual core with hyperthreading, but the 2 cores are phsyical processors, not logical. The extra 2 threads are logical processors.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Agent Maine said:

I assume the pins are fine considering it booted without a hitch. Not entirely sure if the system can still boot with broken pins or whether it wont at all

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This would technically work, but Task Manager will still report how many logical processors there are if they're not enabled.

The chip is a dual core with hyperthreading, but the 2 cores are phsyical processors, not logical. The extra 2 threads are logical processors.

yeah but im still seeing 2 core and 2 threads xD

1 minute ago, hacksmack said:

I assume the pins are fine considering it booted without a hitch. Not entirely sure if the system can still boot with broken pins or whether it wont at all

Depending on what pins are broken, the PC will boot. Ground pins aren't usually a concern since they're all over the place, but voltage pins and other pins may cause it to not work.

Depending on what pins are broken, the PC will boot. Ground pins aren't usually a concern since they're all over the place, but voltage pins and other pins may cause it to not work.

ah okay but that goes back to my previous question. Since I have 2 missing threads shouldnt I be having lower cinebench scores? But my test shows that it performs the same as other unaffected cpu

ah okay but that goes back to my previous question. Since I have 2 missing threads shouldnt I be having lower cinebench scores? But my test shows that it performs the same as other unaffected cpu

It would depend on if the other CPU tested was running with all 4 threads enabled.

One thing you could do is try comparing directly between another CPU identical to yours with all 4 threads enabled, and see if there's a performance difference between the two. Also check results against an indentical CPU with just 2 threads enabled.

It would depend on if the other CPU tested was running with all 4 threads enabled.

One thing you could do is try comparing directly between another CPU identical to yours with all 4 threads enabled, and see if there's a performance difference between the two. Also check results against an indentical CPU with just 2 threads enabled.

Well I went on youtube to observe the same cpu bench. on the cinebench they used it said 2 cores 4 threads (for me it was 2 cores 2 threads) but both him and I obtained the score of 205

Well I went on youtube to observe the same cpu bench. on the cinebench they used it said 2 cores 4 threads (for me it was 2 cores 2 threads) but both him and I obtained the score of 205

Try finding results of 2 cores 2 threads and see if there's a difference.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try finding results of 2 cores 2 threads and see if there's a difference.

alright will have to hunt around thx