Microsoft rolls out Xbox April Update with FreeSync Support and 1440p support

AlTech
32 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Does it not strike anyone as odd that they couldn't always just output at whatever res you wanted?  I mean I get that most people use them on TVs which are either 1080p or 4K and never in between but if it can do 4K, it can do 1440p so why lock that down?

Also, I have to question the benefit of freesync for a few reasons.  For one, doesn't it only kick in at 40 Hz? 

No.

It can kick in either at the lower value of a range of refresh rates or at the specific refresh rate of the monitor. In the cases of when it's a range, it is currently 40Hz however I suspect TV manufacturers will limit the range on upcoming TVs from 30Hz to 75Hz or 100Hz.

If games are running under that (30 fps), it isn't going to do anything. 

Yes, but especially on Xbox One X, many games can run at 1080p 60fps.

Additionally, console games typically strive for very consistent frame times so it's not like it would make a difference anyway.

It could.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well FreeSync is something consoles definitely need. Next gen should target 60fps across the board though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 hours ago, BuckGup said:

So basically consoles are slowly becoming prebuilts with a custom OS on them. Not a horrible thing as you can't build a PC with the same specs in that form factor at the same price. Game optimization is also nice. 

This is a very good thing for PC gamers that I’ve been waiting for for a long time. I was very happy when the latest gen went x86 for the same reason. This means PC ports will suffer much less from being an afterthought on games. This means less work for the devs and builds that are easily ported between all systems with the only major difference being the default settings, not the core code. This also means that backwards compatibility in future systems will not require virtual emulators with heavy overhead since the hardware is all based on the same architecture (x86). The only thing that would keep older games from being compatible on all future consoles is dev decisions, since there will be almost no actual redesign needed to make it work.

Sounds like a win for all gamers regardless of which systems you use.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Snip

I was under the impression it wasn't as cut and dry when it comes to console gaming. I've heard that even if next gen consoles move to Zen it doesn't guarantee backwards compatibility even though it should be easier. Apparently the new cores being so different can cause timing issues etc that may need to be patched or otherwise emulated in some fashion to maintain consistency. 

But maybe that's just bs to avoid guarantees and to give them and out.