70-90 FPS stuttering, 60 and 100+ smooth.

hotwax

As the title says, at around the 70-90 FPS range my games (This happens in all of them) are stuttery, while 55-65 and 100+ are perfectly smooth. It looks like 40 FPS while being twice that. I'm utterly dumbfounded at this point, and it's becoming an issue because I play TF2 competitively and the game is a complete and utter CPU bound mess so there's only so much I can do to improve framerates and try and keep it above that margin.

Things I've tried:

Various graphics drivers

Literally went back to Windows 8.1 briefly

Did a clean sweep with DDU

Reseated ram

Reseated GPU

Made sure everything is screwed on tight

Disabled "Fullscreen Optimizations" in application exe file > propertities 

Disabled Game Mode and Xbox DVR junk

Installed monitor driver

Tried 3 different cables, 2 HDMI, one HDMI to DVI

Tried a wired mouse incase it was my logitech g602 for some weird illogical reason

Windowed mode

Capping framerate

Specs -

(Basically the staple "budget build" of last year)

Pentium G4560 2c 4t @3.5Ghz

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti 4Gb SC

8Gb (2x4) Kingston HyperX Fury Black @2400mhz

Gigabyte B250M-DS3H motherboard

250Gb WD Blue SSD

ASUS VX238H 1080p 60Hz Monitor

Windows 10 Pro

Notes -

The two things I've been unable to follow up on;

The user from this post seems to have the exact same problem as me, but unfortunately there was no follow up.

Additionally, although slightly less relevant, is my monitor is being labeled as a TV everywhere I look - Nvidia control panel, windows, etc. Tried googling and nothing helpful has come up. Unsure if this is a problem or not anyways.

There is noticeable improvement when disabling overlays, including GeForce Experience, Steam, and OBS, but the issue still remains. Kinda run out of overlays that I can think of at this point

I overclocked my monitor to 72 Hz, seems to have gotten rid of all issues. Capped FPS at 85, no stuttering. The problem is, I overclocked my monitor, which I've seen various opinions on ranging from "it's fine" to "your monitor will explode", and the top left/top back of the monitor seems a tad warm, but I can't exactly check how warm it is.

17 hours ago, Yo Whats Up said:

Try different monitor?

We have one other monitor from post 2007 in the house, and I'm not even sure it has a DVI port. I'll check later

If you OC the monitor it can drop frames randomly.  This would explain why it looks jittery at specific FPS.

28 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

If you OC the monitor it can drop frames randomly.  This would explain why it looks jittery at specific FPS.

I'm not having issues after I've overclocked it, it's when it's NOT overclocked is when it looks jittery

• 1 month later...

Alright, one month later.

First off - tried our other monitor - Problem persists.

Wiped SSD - Actual minor improvement at first. Updated drivers, went to full garbage again.

Tried laptop hard drive - problem persists (Laptop had no issues)

Upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1500x/ MSI B350M motherboard - somewhat smoother thanks to better frametimes because actual quad core. Problem persists.

Checked Ram with "Windows Memory Diag" - No issues, problem persists.

Disabled all Windows Defense virus protection bull feces - Actual improvement, minor, but there. Problem STILL persists.

I don't even know anymore. It's getting irritating at this point. Thoughts? Anyone?

If it looks fine at 60fps, and you have tried capping frame rates, does it still look okay at 60fps capped?

Also, do you have a high speed camera that can capture 120fps or higher, so that you can investigate the issue further? Most phones can do 120fps.

Just enable Vsync or use this method.

https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 6/6/2018 at 10:42 PM, badreg said:

If it looks fine at 60fps, and you have tried capping frame rates, does it still look okay at 60fps capped?

Also, do you have a high speed camera that can capture 120fps or higher, so that you can investigate the issue further? Most phones can do 120fps.

I'm opposed to just capping it at 60 because that doesn't actually solve the problem, I'd like to know what is going on if possible.

And unfortunately no, my phone is a old brick. 

During the framerate range that I'm complaining about, everything looks somewhat blurred and I'm able to to see a very large amount of small tears on the screen, as opposed the usual screen tearing which results in either one big tear on one part of the screen or small odd ones here or there that aren't an issue at other framerates, 

Don't remember if I mentioned it before, but among my investigating I've noticed disabling all overlays and anything related in that category seems to help, the Geforce Experience overlay is the worst offender. I suspect this is why disabling all the built-in windows antivirus crap helped, as well. However I'm not running any other background programs/game hooks, at least knowingly, Discord/Mumble overlays are disabled along with Steam.

Tested different framerates outside of games with is in-browser thing - https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

90 FPS looks juddery as opposed to 60. Is this the same for anyone else? I tried googling whether there's actually any difference on a 60hz panel but of course nothing came up.

I'm just going to assume my GPU is borked if there isn't any difference for others.

Go to your 3d settings in nvidia control panel and change the vsync setting to FAST.

NOT ON, just fast. Try it. it will still produce every frame, but drop those that can't be displayed by your monitor/tv. Very small bit of latency, but its as close you can get without enabling vsync, or buying a gsync monitor.

I know you said your dead set against limiting your FPS.

Just try it, you may be surprised.