Modem and Router WiFi at the same time?

oahbpn

I have a modem with Single band WiFi and recently purchased a Dual band router.

I do not have a computer/laptop to turn OFF the WiFi from the modem. 

1. Can I simply setup the Dual band router?

2. What are some issues with the modem and router providing Wifi?

3. Will it even work?

Thanks.

Basically it will be the same a your neighbour's wifi. Just a different network. You should be fine, just switch the other one off when you can as it can cause slowdowns due to congestion, but that's unlikely in a home situation.

1 yes

2 potential slowdowns/disconnects due to interference, low chances in home situation, unlikely to affect you.

3 yes

8 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

Basically it will be the same a your neighbour's wifi. Just a different network. You should be fine, just switch the other one off when you can as it can cause slowdowns due to congestion, but that's unlikely in a home situation.

1 yes

2 potential slowdowns/disconnects due to interference, low chances in home situation, unlikely to affect you.

3 yes

Would the Dual band router help the Single band modem to provide a better connection?

7 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

Do you understand dual band means?

Not really. I just googled some definitions. Many sites seem to state that it is better than Single band. 

Can you help me improve my understanding?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sirjfc said:

Not really. I just googled some definitions. Many sites seem to state that it is better than Single band. 

Can you help me improve my understanding?

Thanks.

Dual band means dual frequency

it has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

2.4Ghz usually max out at 300mbps speed limit and reality speed doesn't even come close to 300mbps at best you'll get 90-150mbps with 2.4Ghz frequency on Wireless N 300mbps wifi.

5Ghz can go up to 1200mbps which is great if your adapter support 5Ghz.

Since wireless is half-duplex means every devices connected to access point will reduce the speed.

Their term of "better" is based on option and each devices

The problem is, if your adapter doesn't support 5Ghz then you will get no improvement with dual band router/access point, if your adapter support 5Ghz you can connect to 5Ghz band but but if i's only rated 300Mbps then your speed improvement would be minimal (50mbps boost at best compared to using 2.4Ghz)

If your priority is speed and reliability go wired, there's no point spending hundreds of dollars just to get 500mbps speed (or even less realistically)