Problems with GPU usage in different games

keycolony
Go to solution Solved by meenmeen1103,

1 hour ago, keycolony said:

Thats how Gpu and Cpu usage look like at the same time when i play the game and the Fps drops happen. Im not sure but i think the Cpu usage is way to high, that could be the problem.

48 minutes ago, App4that said:

In their profile, 4690k. Why there are specs in our profiles :D

23 minutes ago, super_skank said:

looks like the CPU ain't keeping up, you could overclock, but it won't make a big difference or look to pick up an 4790k, the hyper-threading does make a difference these days in some games.

Agree this is very likely. A 4790k is the safest bet since it's the top performer still using DDR3 which will save you $ (from not having to switch to DDR4 CPU, mobo, and RAM) but also same mobo which will save you the headache of windows reactivation (because Windows ties more strongly to mobo with digital license), and it'll still prove very capable for a decent amount of time (possibly longer than your GPU even) if you're satisfied with ~100fps. Just make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your mobo before changing CPU (mobo model wasn't provided and I don't know that any mobo BOIS's that accept 4690k won't accept a 4790k but it's good practice anyway).

Hey,

i got a problem with running different games because of low Gpu usage. I got a 980ti and im playing on 1080p and high settings. In most of the games like GTA V or Witcher 3 i never came across problems with my Gpu usage, even in benchmarks everything is perfectly fine. The graphics card is pinned at 99% most of the time and the games are always running around 60-120 fps, except for Ghost Recon Wildlands. The Gpu usage is fluctuating between 20% and 80% all the time, it drives me mad. It gets worse when i visit big citys where there is a lot of stuff going on, then the usage and the fps spike even more. I got around 40 to 60 fps most of the time and it seems like the game isnt pushing the graphics card enough to be pinned at 99% or 100% usage. I really dont know what to do, i updated to the latest drivers and i can not find anything in Forums about my card and its low Gpu usage in Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Thanks for your help.

Grafikkarte Usage.PNG

If you have VSync enabled, then the GPU will only work as hard as needed to reach 60FPS (the refresh rate your display is configured for).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Probably bad game optimalisation... it has nothing to do with your pc

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

If you have VSync enabled, then the GPU will only work as hard as needed to reach 60FPS (the refresh rate your display is configured for).

I dont got VSync enabled only GSync, its a feature of my monitor that works with the graphics card to prevent tearing.

Could be the cpu is struggling to keep up with gpu, or just game optimization

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

2 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Could be the cpu is struggling to keep up with gpu, or just game optimization

Hmm yea maybe but im not sure, the i5 isnt really quick but its not slow either. No way to find that out.

5 minutes ago, keycolony said:

Hmm yea maybe but im not sure, the i5 isnt really quick but its not slow either. No way to find that out.

Looks like you're using MSI afterburner, you should be able to detach the graph (small button in the middle right above the graph on stock skin) and scroll down to show the individual thread usages. Simply run the game with afterburner open, when the fps drops happen close game and look at graph to see if a big jump occurs on CPU around same time as a GPU usage drop. You can right-click anywhere on graph and select pause to give time to compare

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Given the games mentioned, gonna go with hardware. Cpu or ram. Just monitor everything and it will tell you. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thats how Gpu and Cpu usage look like at the same time when i play the game and the Fps drops happen. Im not sure but i think the Cpu usage is way to high, that could be the problem.

Unbenannt.PNG

Unbenannt1.PNG

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Specs?

What CPU?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I find that the profile is unreliable in many cases.

In any case, the CPU is maxed out.

looks like the CPU ain't keeping up, you could overclock, but it won't make a big difference or look to pick up an 4790k, the hyper-threading does make a difference these days in some games.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 hour ago, keycolony said:

48 minutes ago, App4that said:

23 minutes ago, super_skank said:

Agree this is very likely. A 4790k is the safest bet since it's the top performer still using DDR3 which will save you $ (from not having to switch to DDR4 CPU, mobo, and RAM) but also same mobo which will save you the headache of windows reactivation (because Windows ties more strongly to mobo with digital license), and it'll still prove very capable for a decent amount of time (possibly longer than your GPU even) if you're satisfied with ~100fps. Just make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your mobo before changing CPU (mobo model wasn't provided and I don't know that any mobo BOIS's that accept 4690k won't accept a 4790k but it's good practice anyway).