How to fix this sound problem?

4klips

I am running windows 7. And in the status bar there is a sound icon. Clicking on it used to bring up a volume slider which is not showing up anymore. Clicking on it doesn't do anything. In control panel there is a sound option. Clicking on it also doesn't do anything. How can I fix that. And some times when I boot up my pc  this disk chekup appears. Which I haven't seen before.

How can I fix that. I think this is the reason my microphone is also not working. And I use Audio switcher to switch between speakers and headphones as default devices with a hot key. Its also stopped working. Is this problem caused by drivers or some windows files are corrupted?

Please help me. How can I fix my pc?

20180401_180113.jpg

20180418_170607.jpg

Sounds like your hard drive is dying.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Just now, userzero said:

Sounds like your hard drive is dying.

Its a WD 7200 1 TB HDD. And I bought it on August 2017. I had another 500 GB HDD as a slave drive its from 2015 seagate and it works perfectly fine. 

And yes it happens 2 times my WD HDD on which windows in installed on it stopped working and whole system freezes. And my PC no more able to detect it and all of a sudden it detects it and start working. But its fairly new drive. And in warranty. But I am not sure its my HDD fault or windows is broken.

With traditional (mechanical) hard drives it really makes no difference what make, model, year it is. They are prone to failure. Full stop. Every IT pro will tell you backup is important and that's because the moving parts inside can fail at any time. It could be 1 day old or 10 years old.

Anyway. Try to check your system files then. Open an elevated cmd prompt and type

sfc /scannow

If your computer wants to run a checkdisk upon each boot then either you are not shutting it down correctly or the hard drive has a problem.

9 minutes ago, userzero said:

With traditional (mechanical) hard drives it really makes no difference what make, model, year it is. They are prone to failure. Full stop. Every IT pro will tell you backup is important and that's because the moving parts inside can fail at any time. It could be 1 day old or 10 years old.

Anyway. Try to check your system files then. Open an elevated cmd prompt and type

sfc /scannow

If your computer wants to run a checkdisk upon each boot then either you are not shutting it down correctly or the hard drive has a problem.

No it happens occasionally like 3 times in 2 weeks or so. But in past 3 days I noticed its 2 times in 3 days. And I think I am shutting it down properly. Though the HDD is in warranty. Maybe I will contact the seller. And yes I always have backup somewhere xD

Now opening ms paint is showing error, etc.

Download crystaldisk info and check your hard disk. If it's OK check and repair system files. If it's not, replace your hard drive.

16 minutes ago, userzero said:

Download crystaldisk info and check your hard disk. If it's OK check and repair system files. If it's not, replace your hard drive.

Ok I will do it and give  a feedback.

22 hours ago, userzero said:

I tried it and here is the result. 

crystal disk info.PNG

On 4/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, 4klips said:

Its a WD 7200 1 TB HDD. And I bought it on August 2017. I had another 500 GB HDD as a slave drive its from 2015 seagate and it works perfectly fine. 

And yes it happens 2 times my WD HDD on which windows in installed on it stopped working and whole system freezes. And my PC no more able to detect it and all of a sudden it detects it and start working. But its fairly new drive. And in warranty. But I am not sure its my HDD fault or windows is broken.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:39 PM, 4klips said:

No it happens occasionally like 3 times in 2 weeks or so. But in past 3 days I noticed its 2 times in 3 days. And I think I am shutting it down properly. Though the HDD is in warranty. Maybe I will contact the seller. And yes I always have backup somewhere xD

Now opening ms paint is showing error, etc.

1 hour ago, 4klips said:

crystal disk info.PNG

There's always change to get bad part. If its not DOA, it can die in few months. Or in year. Thats why there's warranty. Just format and RMA the drive. When you contact WD, you can attach the pics you've posted here.

But if you still think it might not be drive, reinstall Windows. If these continue, or reinstalling fails, you know its drives fault.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, 4klips said:

crystal disk info.PNG

It's definitely a bad drive, end of.