8700 non K model help please :(

Hi all,

Firstly sorry if this has been asked before I did try searching the forums and google but failed to find anything non K related to this issue :(

It could be a simple setting in the BIOS/UEFI but its been a while since i upgrade my pc parts and the BIOS /UEFI has a few to many options now that I have no idea what they do lol.

My issue is the i7 8700 non K cpu I have seems to be underclocking and undervolting itself while benchmarking and during games, I presume it is something to do with its TDP of 65Watts but surely there is a way to stop is dropping so drastically..

I have a Asus Rog strix z370-e motherboard,  Memory is Corsair LPX 3000mhz I haven't set an XMP profile yet as I heard you don't really need to as it just produces more heat which by buying the NON k i was hoping to avoid.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have uploaded a video of the problem to youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2scIu-Jf4

First off welcome to the forum!

That said, I would bet the issue is thermals. What cooler is being used on the 8700, and do you know your temps while benchmarking?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

That is really... strange. Do you have a high enough PSU wattage? Have you modified any cpu or ram related settings in your bios?

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

You can override the wattage limit with a program from intel called XTU.  Make sure your temps are under ~85c first though.

42 minutes ago, App4that said:

That said, I would bet the issue is thermals. What cooler is being used on the 8700, and do you know your temps while benchmarking?

27 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You can override the wattage limit with a program from intel called XTU.  Make sure your temps are under ~85c first though.

Not sure if he edited his post 10 minutes ago but you can watch the video and the max temp is 70°C so it is not temperature.

3 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

Not sure if he edited his post 10 minutes ago but you can watch the video and the max temp is 70°C so it is not temperature.

Yup, missed the video so my fault there.

Looks like it's the TDP. You can load XTU and set the TDP higher, should help. I'll post a video that helps. You can skip to the 6min mark to save time if needed. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Hiya, Sorry for not replying sooner had a few issues then Windows 10 decided to give me a black login screen this is the first time i've had windows 10 as my main os and im not enjoying the experience much at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time the z370 and i7 8700 are not supported offically in windows 7 lol.

Anyway Yea my temps are really good I have a Kraken x52 cooler which is an AIO I know its probably over the top for a 8700 non k but it looks nice and I really wanted a quite pc as my others have always sounded like vacuum cleaners or a plane getting ready for take off.

I'll be honest I don't fully understand the TDP my cpu isnt getting anywhere near 100c but the Watts are hitting 85 just before it seems to drop to 65 thats when the core speed drops too.

I also have a slight issue with the XMP profile at the moment I brought some Corsair LPX 3000mhz but when I enable XMP is also overclocks the BCLK I'm a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking which again is another reason I brought the 8700 non k should turning XMP on result in for example the base clock jumping from 100mhz to 105.20mhz ? 

Thanks again for all your replies I shall have a look at that intel program shortly.

Regards

Jay

7 minutes ago, Fubsy said:

Hiya, Sorry for not replying sooner had a few issues then Windows 10 decided to give me a black login screen this is the first time i've had windows 10 as my main os and im not enjoying the experience much at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time the z370 and i7 8700 are not supported offically in windows 7 lol.

Anyway Yea my temps are really good I have a Kraken x52 cooler which is an AIO I know its probably over the top for a 8700 non k but it looks nice and I really wanted a quite pc as my others have always sounded like vacuum cleaners or a plane getting ready for take off.

I'll be honest I don't fully understand the TDP my cpu isnt getting anywhere near 100c but the Watts are hitting 85 just before it seems to drop to 65 thats when the core speed drops too.

I also have a slight issue with the XMP profile at the moment I brought some Corsair LPX 3000mhz but when I enable XMP is also overclocks the BCLK I'm a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking which again is another reason I brought the 8700 non k should turning XMP on result in for example the base clock jumping from 100mhz to 105.20mhz ? 

Thanks again for all your replies I shall have a look at that intel program shortly.

Regards

Jay

The TDP limit is there to keep a cheaper product from competing with a more expensive one.

As for the BCLK thing, yeah thats normal for specific memory speeds, it happens because there isnt a memory strap (BCLK * strap = memory speed) for exactly that speed.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The TDP limit is there to keep a cheaper product from competing with a more expensive one.

As for the BCLK thing, yeah thats normal for specific memory speeds, it happens because there isnt a memory strap (BCLK * strap = memory speed) for exactly that speed.

Thanks for the info bud, however I have a question the above video posted by APP4That unless i miss understood is basically saying that with  adequate cooling I should get or maintain better boost clock? I shall download that intel program now and see whats going on :)

1 minute ago, Fubsy said:

Thanks for the info bud, however I have a question the above video posted by APP4That unless i miss understood is basically saying that with  adequate cooling I should get or maintain better boost clock? I shall download that intel program now and see whats going on :)

Only if temps are your problem.  With a 65w chip its not going to get you much better clocks because temps are already pretty good.  Lower temps do reduce power consumption, but not enough to change the boost mechanics.