I got 2 old Dell Optiplex's for £5 each. What should I do with them?

I picked up 2 old Dell Optiplex small form factor computers on an imulse from the car boot sale last weekend, and I am wondering what I should do with them.

They are:

1. Dell Optiplex 755 (2007) with Intel Pentium E8400 Dual core CPU, 4GB of RAM
  2. Dell Optiplex 380 (2010) with Intel Pentium [N/A] Dual core CPU, 4GB of DDR3 RAM

I can upgrade them to a core 2 Quad Q6700, and a Core 2 Quad Q9400 respectively, and the best card I can fit in them is a Nvidia GT 1030 (With a TFX power supply upgrade).
There is only 2 SATA ports in one, and 3 in the other, both of which are using one for the optical drive, but an optical drive to SSD/HDD adapter will fix that if I want say an ssd and a hdd.

I have come up with a few ideas so far

• A media server to allow my ripped blu rays, DVD's, and other films and videos to be streamed from my PLEX server to my Amazon Fire TV Stick (I currently use my gaming PC)
  • A travel PC for light/older gaming
  • A NAS server for my home network
  • A Firewall server
  • A "Frankenstein" PC for testing drives, RAM, CPU's, Hard/solid state drives etc

That's all I got. :/

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

I picked up 2 old Dell Optiplex small form factor computers on an imulse from the car boot sale last weekend, and I am wondering what I should do with them.

They are:

2. Dell Optiplex 380 (2010) with Intel Pentium [N/A] Dual core CPU, 4GB of DDR3 RAM

I can upgrade them to a core 2 Quad Q6700, and a Core 2 Quad Q9400 respectively, and the best card I can fit in them is a Nvidia GT 1030 (Wit a TFX power supply upgrade).
There is only 2 SATA ports in one, and 3 in the other, both of which are using one for the optical drive, but an optical drive to SSD/HDD adapter will fix that if I want say an ssd and a hdd.

• A media server to allow my ripped blu rays, DVD's, and other films and videos to be streamed from my PLEX server to my Amazon Fire TV Stick (I currently use my gaming PC)
  • A Firewall server
  • A "Frankenstein" PC for testing drives, RAM, CPU's, Hard/solid state drives etc

you could use them as a cloud, or a apache server. you could sell a providing service to people you know. 

Just now, Callum Stringer said:

you could use them as a cloud, or a apache server. you could sell a providing service to people you know. 

I did ponder that idea very briefly, but having a server to remote source is out of the question with my 3mbps down 0.35mbps up internet :S

Just now, gayfurry said:

I did ponder that idea very briefly, but having a server to remote source is out of the question with my 3mbps down 0.35mbps up internet :S

so you want a idea that would be used locally?

11 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

They are:

I can upgrade them to a core 2 Quad Q6700, and a Core 2 Quad Q9400 respectively, and the best card I can fit in them is a Nvidia GT 1030 (Wit a TFX power supply upgrade).

• A Firewall server

Get a q6600 fr about $10 and a Radeon 7770 for about $25.....ND u can easily flip this pic fr about $80-100

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Callum Stringer said:

so you want a idea that would be used locally?

Preferably yes. :) 

But I love my retro stuff and I just remembered I want a windows XP machine...  So that's another option. 

Keep one for a Windows XP system, and put some old but decent graphics card in it and sell it as "Retro Gaming PC" . Just an option :)

hi.

Just now, tj_420 said:

Keep one for a Windows XP system, and put some old but decent graphics card in it and sell it as "Retro Gaming PC" . Just an option :)

I'd never thought of that you know, I do need some extra cash, but I love my "Work in progress" computers, so i'm not sure i'd want to because in the back of my mind i'll be thinking "But what if you need it?" :)
Thanks for the suggestion though!

All of those ideas sound nice. Since you got them for so cheap, I would just take out the HDD and put them in your personal rig IMO.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

2 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

All of those ideas sound nice. Since you got them for so cheap, I would just take out the HDD and put them in your personal rig IMO.

Aah...  They were smart and took out the hard drives before they sold them.  It has everything else though.
But there is a 2nd hand parts retailer here in the uk where I bought 2 250GB SATA 7200RPM Hard drives for £3 each to go in them!

The "Frankenstein" PC seems the best idea, you can use it to try out new Linux distros or shady programs you don't want on your main PC. If something does wrong just wipe the drive an start again - no important data lost.

The PCs may be a bit power hungry for use as a NAS unless you will be seeing a lot of usage/it is of great benefit to access your files remotely. You probably will not be able to use RAID due to a lack of space to install a second drive unless you remove the optical drive.

57 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

I'd double check what sort of performance they'll get when it comes to transcoding blu-ray quality video on Plex. Old dual cores probably ain't gonna be great but with some tweaking it might be ok for 1x 1080p stream.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

2 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I'd double check what sort of performance they'll get when it comes to transcoding blu-ray quality video on Plex. Old dual cores probably ain't gonna be great but with some tweaking it might be ok for 1x 1080p stream.

I did think of that, and while I could look to find out, i'd prefer to just go with trial and error. :)

But I use a piece of software called MakeMKV to convert my blu rays to MKV, I know that the output of MKV DVD's and Blu rays are different, but I thought that it'd still work going straight from a hard drive.

What do you think?
And besides, if it doesn't work with blu rays, then I can just do it with DVD's. Mpeg 2 won't be a problem I'm sure. 

Although if you think about it, Fire TV sticks and Fire TV (4K) use ARM processors and they handle it f.....  Ohhhh....  I forgot, they're streaming... not serving...  
Any comments?

44 minutes ago, gayfurry said:

I did think of that, and while I could look to find out, i'd prefer to just go with trial and error. :)

But I use a piece of software called MakeMKV to convert my blu rays to MKV, I know that the output of MKV DVD's and Blu rays are different, but I thought that it'd still work going straight from a hard drive.

What do you think?
And besides, if it doesn't work with blu rays, then I can just do it with DVD's. Mpeg 2 won't be a problem I'm sure. 

Although if you think about it, Fire TV sticks and Fire TV (4K) use ARM processors and they handle it f.....  Ohhhh....  I forgot, they're streaming... not serving...  
Any comments?

I just looked up the two processors and Plex forums say you typically need CPU's with a PassMark score of 2000 per 1080p stream.

• Dell Optiplex 755 (2007) with Intel Pentium E8400 - PassMark of 2154
  • Dell Optiplex 380 (2010) with Intel Pentium [N/A] (This should contain an E7500) - PassMark of 1877

That being said...I had a Q8400 which has a PassMark of 3181 and it wasn't very good at transcoding. But sometimes it's the luck of the draw and what quality settings you're ok with. But like you say, for your DVD rips, it will be ok.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I just looked up the two processors and Plex forums say you typically need CPU's with a PassMark score of 2000 per 1080p stream.

• Dell Optiplex 755 (2007) with Intel Pentium E8400 - PassMark of 2154
  • Dell Optiplex 380 (2010) with Intel Pentium [N/A] (This should contain an E7500) - PassMark of 1877

That being said...I had a Q8400 which has a PassMark of 3181 and it wasn't very good at transcoding. But sometimes it's the luck of the draw and what quality settings you're ok with. But like you say, for your DVD rips, it will be ok.

Thank you!  That's really helpful! :D 

Just now, gayfurry said:

Thank you!  That's really helpful! :D 

No problem! I try to do the same sort of things with old tech...I have 3 computers (only 2 running) and always want projects to do...then I just end up browsing Imgur and LTT on a computer capable of doing so much more xD

4 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

No problem! I try to do the same sort of things with old tech...I have 3 computers (only 2 running) and always want projects to do...then I just end up browsing Imgur and LTT on a computer capable of doing so much more xD

I'm the same, I always have to be in the middle of doing something, that's why I keep buying £5 computers at car boot sales xD

I always have 3 computers running too.  My Win10 Gaming PC (for games), My MacBook pro (for music and video production), and my beloved scratch built Windows 98 music production computer!