To those thinking about upgrading their old Computer.

minervx

This is not an optimal time to build a computer.  I would generally advise to wait a few months or until later this year to do.  If you already built a PC within the past few years, I'd argue you're better off waiting till 2019 or even 2010.

SSD's, you can get them now, but Samsung said the prices would severely be dropped in 2019/2020.  So you can get a 1TB SSD in your next build rather than a 250 GB one now.

Video cards are at all time-high prices.  Unless your games are at very choppy framerates and you need to heavily compromise your settings, I would wait until the next gen.

CPU's are in a very good place now compared to years ago,but RAM is near all-time high price.  If you already have DDR4 RAM, you can use it in a new build, but if you have DDR3 RAM, it's going to be expensive.

I also think cases will undergo a revolution this and next year.  Since most system's thermal/storage/expansion needs can fit within an ITX, we are going to start to see a lot of compact systems that can handle liquid cooling.  We're even going to see MATX systems without disc drives and big hard drive cages.  We're also seeing cases with tempered glass, good ventilation and other aesthetics we haven't seen in the past.

If your system's performance is very sluggish and you really need an upgrade for your profession or passion, maybe it's worth paying the extra money just so that you can have a good computer to use this year.  However, if you're just looking to satisfy an urge to buy new stuff or have the newest parts, it's really not worth it.  In late 2018 and 2019, tech is going to evolve at a much faster rate than it did the past few months.

In tech, there is always a dillemma of waiting for the next thing, but in this circumstance, the present is bleak and the future is bright.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

but.... i don't want to wait.

not that i need an upgrade anytime soon but....

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

im in a similar dillemma.  i'm a white suburban nerd with not much of a life.  i also feel the compulsion to build a system that's half the size and better looking than my current dinosaur.  i could technically afford to rebuild my pc right now, but it would be unwise.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

I currently wan't to upgrade my CPU, and the prices are effecting me definitely. I'm planning on upgrading to either Ryzen 7 1700x or i5 8600k but that Means I have to buy new DDR4 ram. Even if I sell my current 24gb of DDR3 it doesnt cover the cost of 16gb DDR4

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I currently wan't to upgrade my CPU, and the prices are effecting me definitely. I'm planning on upgrading to either Ryzen 7 1700x or i5 8600k but that Means I have to buy new DDR4 ram. Even if I sell my current 24gb of DDR3 it doesnt cover the cost of 16gb DDR4

What CPU do you have now?  What tasks are limiting for your CPU.

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

What CPU do you have now?  What tasks are limiting for your CPU.

I've already created another thread for this here. I have an i5 4440 and I capture video, edit video, and produce music. Lets not hijack this thread.

Computers r fun