Upgradding Computer to Current gen

Current Machine:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfwgw6 (Just worry about the CPU, Mobo, and RAM)

I've got a buyer willing to pay $430 for the CPU, Motherboard, 16g of ram, and the R9 270x.

Now I need some stuff to replace what I am selling.

Budget is flexible, between the $430 and $700 depending on what makes sense and price/performance.

Here is a theoretical parts list I came up with:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttMKBb. But with RAM so high, im considering sticking with 16gb and finding another two sticks later down the line.

So should I go intel or AMD? Buy used ram? I don't know anything about Ryzen motherboards, but the one I picked out looks really cool, which I do care about. I'm not a heavy overclocker and I care more about price/performance than paying extra for a $200 cooler thats only gonna get me 5% improvement

I Use the computer for Video edditing, gamming, video capture, and Music production and I've pretty much hit the limit for my four core i5 lol. Thanks for your help!

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

That build is $2100 but you have $430-750 budget? 

Sorry, pay only attention the the CPU/Motherboard/RAM. Its the exact same build, I understand why thats misleading.

Computers r fun

1 minute ago, WhyAlwaysMe said:

That build is $2100 but you have $430-750 budget? 

No, this is his old build and he wants to upgrade his CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU for that budget.

He already has a PSU, the storage and a case.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

No, this is his old build and he wants to upgrade his CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPU for that budget.

He already has a PSU, the storage and a case.

No i'm sorry, Nnt the GPU, gosh I explained this poorly. I already have the 290

Computers r fun

yeah i'm not sure why you would really profit from the extra 8GB, getting a caching ssd for the pagefile is probably a better price performance if you that's what you really need.

if you're going ryzen i wouldn't get the 1700x right now, wait a week or two for the 2700x to hit shelves imo. it's not a humongous difference but it's worth that small wait.

not sure how this fares in comparison to the 8700k for your workloads so i con't really recommend one over the other, go with your gut feeling i guess

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah i'm not sure why you would really profit from the extra 8GB, getting a caching ssd for the pagefile is probably a better price performance if you that's what you really need.

if you're going ryzen i wouldn't get the 1700x right now, wait a week or two for the 2700x to hit shelves imo. it's not a humongous difference but it's worth that small wait.

not sure how this fares in comparison to the 8700k for your workloads so i con't really recommend one over the other, go with your gut feeling i guess

The buyer wants it this weekend, so I can't wait for Ryzen 2 to hit shelves. It also doesn't look that significant an improvement to be worth the extra $. It would only make sense to wait if you think Ryzen 1 would drop more in price. I'm feeling the 8700k, how about the Motherboard I chose? Do you have any similar intel suggestions?

Computers r fun

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

No i'm sorry, Nnt the GPU, gosh I explained this poorly. I already have the 290

Well, that makes it relatively easy.

Ryzen 7-1700

2x8GB RAM

Some random board...

(And I sneaked that DarkRock Pro 4 in there, cause it is so sexy :P

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bWn7W

But you should really wait for Zen+.

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

The buyer wants it this weekend, so I can't wait for Ryzen 2 to hit shelves. It also doesn't look that significant an improvement to be worth the extra $. It would only make sense to wait if you think Ryzen 1 would drop more in price. I'm feeling the 8700k, how about the Motherboard I chose? Do you have any similar intel suggestions?

it's not really extra $, i mean it is because the ryzen chips got a big price cut halfway through the year but there is no 30$ added price like you get on every new i7.

motherboard on the intel side will barely make a difference. AMD's boards can be more important (i think it's because vendors didn't take the platform seriously at first) to be safe i'd get a mid to high end asus board (their low end is absolutely trash) i really don't like their boards but they have objectively the best bios support. and in the end that's what will give you better performance.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

6 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it's not really extra $, i mean it is because the ryzen chips got a big price cut halfway through the year but there is no 30$ added price like you get on every new i7.

motherboard on the intel side will barely make a difference. AMD's boards can be more important (i think it's because vendors didn't take the platform seriously at first) to be safe i'd get a mid to high end asus board (their low end is absolutely trash) i really don't like their boards but they have objectively the best bios support. and in the end that's what will give you better performance.

I think I'm going to look into used RAM, do you see there being any issues I should be aware of doing that? I imagine it wouldnt matter that much with RAM

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I think I'm going to look into used RAM, do you see there being any issues I should be aware of doing that? I imagine it wouldnt matter that much with RAM

make sure what ever you buy is on the QA list of the motherboard you will have. there won't be a great benefit to finding used ram price wise. it's very new to the market still and most people selling stuff isn't really marking it down because it's stuff they used for a week or two and they changed their mind or something so they're reselling. at least I haven't found any good deals in that aspect.

just to clarify, don't buy the RAM before the motherboard

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

26 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Wait what? In no way is a caching SSD going to be faster than real RAM. It will especially not help price/performance. It will make it worse.

Especially as they already have 2 SSDs... the RAM will be well spent if they go 16gb... 8gb and an SSD would be so much slower (I've got that setup, but I've not got $450 to spend upgrading ;) ). $100 on RAM will be much better than $100 on another, useless in this case, SSD. :P

16gb RAM + 1 SSD is fine. 8GB + 2 SSDs or an Optain will be slower. Cost as much if not more, for a tiny bit (100GB if SSD, even less at 32gb is Optain?) more storage that can be left on the HDD anyhow (games etc will be fine).

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Wait what? In no way is a caching SSD going to be faster than real RAM. It will especially not help price/performance. It will make it worse.

Especially as they already have 2 SSDs... the RAM will be well spent if they go 16gb... 8gb and an SSD would be so much slower (I've got that setup, but I've not got $450 to spend upgrading ;) ). $100 on RAM will be much better than $100 on another, useless in this case, SSD. :P

16gb RAM + 1 SSD is fine. 8GB + 2 SSDs or an Optain will be slower. Cost as much if not more, for a tiny bit (100GB?) more storage that can be left on the HDD anyhow (games etc will be fine).

Thank You, I won't consider less than 16gb, and I don't think that's what Squinty was suggesting. Right now I have 24gb DDR3, and he was just talking about that extra 8gb.

Computers r fun

Ah... Sorry. Yeah, I'm not sure how much difference 16 vs 24 will be. Depends on what you are running (CAD/games/Servers?). So you could save the ~$100 for something else.

I thought the 16gb was going to the new buyer, and the 8gb you were keeping? Lol!

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Ah... Sorry. Yeah, I'm not sure how much difference 16 vs 24 will be. Depends on what you are running (CAD/games/Servers?). So you could save the ~$100 for something else.

I thought the 16gb was going to the new buyer, and the 8gb you were keeping? Lol!

Well that is happening, but I can't use DDR3 ram in DDR4 build.

Computers r fun

Yep... but I was still confused if we were going up from 8gb, or down from 16... we were doing neither... 24. :P 

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Yep... but I was still confused if we were going up from 8gb, or down from 16... we were doing neither... 24. :P 

21 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

make sure what ever you buy is on the QA list of the motherboard you will have. there won't be a great benefit to finding used ram price wise. it's very new to the market still and most people selling stuff isn't really marking it down because it's stuff they used for a week or two and they changed their mind or something so they're reselling. at least I haven't found any good deals in that aspect.

just to clarify, don't buy the RAM before the motherboard

Okay, So I think I'm going to buy the i5 8600k, do you havev any suggestions for a cooler? Would it be better for price/performance to go with a non K i5-8600 and stock cooler?

Computers r fun

go with ryzen.

if price is a concern, start with 8gb ram cuz u can upgrade later on

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Just now, minervx said:

go with ryzen.

if price is a concern, start with 8gb ram cuz u can upgrade later on

No, price is a concern but I need at least 16gb for my use case. Why should I go with Ryzen?

Computers r fun

better performance per dollar.

2700 is only a little bit more expensive than an 8600k with a cooler.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

better performance per dollar.

2700 is only a little bit more expensive than an 8600k with a cooler.

THe Intel i5 8600k looks to benchmark higher than the 2700 though, and with the Hyper 212 Evo for $30 it makes it cheaper. And obviously i'm not doing any crazy overclocking like that, but I can upgrade that later when I want more if it looks like I won the silicone lottery. What kind of overclocking am I looking at with the 2700 stock cooler?

Computers r fun

UserBenchmark does say 8600k has moderately better quad core performance, but 2700 has much better multi-core performance.

In gaming, it won't make any difference either way.  Both are more than capable.  For creative/professional apps, Ryzen performs better.

13 minutes ago, minervx said:

UserBenchmark does say 8600k has moderately better quad core performance, but 2700 has much better multi-core performance.

In gaming, it won't make any difference either way.  Both are more than capable.  For creative/professional apps, Ryzen performs better.

I do about the same amount of Gamming as I do Encoding. Its definitly I tough question, although I think the Intel fits my budget better, especially with how nice the Intel motherboard I've picked out is.

Computers r fun

5 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Okay, So I think I'm going to buy the i5 8600k, do you havev any suggestions for a cooler? Would it be better for price/performance to go with a non K i5-8600 and stock cooler?

k is better all around and it has much higher resale value. it's not a very hard chip to cool, any tower cooler rated for 120W or more will do great, (like hyper 212 size and up, thought i personally think the noctua or bequiet offerings are much better value)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

47 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

k is better all around and it has much higher resale value. it's not a very hard chip to cool, any tower cooler rated for 120W or more will do great, (like hyper 212 size and up, thought i personally think the noctua or bequiet offerings are much better value)

rip I just ordered the 4 heat pipe 212 evo. In the future, is it a better idea to upgrade to water cooling down the line than get a more expensive air cooler now?

Computers r fun