ryzen 1600x vs 2600

hello 

i am looking to do a build and not sure which cpu to go for im currently looking at a ryzen 2600 with an msi x470 pro motherboard and corsair ram however it seems the ryzen 1600x is £10 less and has higher tdp and clock speed over the 2600 any advice I cannot find comparison benchmark reviews for these two cpus anyware. Obviously the 2600 has newer specs but is it going to be faster than the 1600x with a slight overclock? looking to purchase tomorrow so a quick response is appreciated especially if someone has tested this. 

If you already have a 1600, stick with it. If you are starting fresh, go 2600. Simple.

they are both overclockable. at same speed they will give you identical performance. but you should be able to get the 2600 to go faster. 10quid shouldn't be a big concern to you if you're buying a whole new system

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

15 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

they are both overclockable. at same speed they will give you identical performance. but you should be able to get the 2600 to go faster. 10quid shouldn't be a big concern to you if you're buying a whole new system

Thats not exactly true, In some workloads, especially gaming you can see 10% or more performance clock for clock from Ryzen 2000 series parts. 

I'd go with the new generation.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Thats not exactly true, In some workloads, especially gaming you can see 10% or more performance clock for clock from Ryzen 2000 series parts. 

ok I think ill stick with the 2600 then was going to go for the 2600x but so far it seems there is minimal improvement once overclocked and its an extra £30-£40 so not going to bother.

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

where the hell did you find that? because that's absolutely bullshit.... there is no magic in how processors work. at the same clock they do the exact same, because there is no difference between the two chips.

that is of course given that everything else is the same. if you're going to change other things then it's not the CPU making the difference anymore.

to be honest i find that 90% of reviewers don't test/benchmark these properly, they don't control for variables at all.... they just throw a random system together with the 1 part they want to test and they shit out the benchmark results.... and then you come in there and pull these kinds of conclusions. when it's not the case.

gamers nexus has had much more time with the chips because they got them outside of embargo and have actually tested much more extensively, and they have demonstrated that there is no difference between the chips at that level. the difference comes down to motherboard support for the memory's more in death sub timings, an unsuported kit losing you 5% of your final score.

the only real difference that the new manufacturing process has brought (which is the only physical difference between the two) is much lower voltage needs to achieve the 4GHz clock. that's why the basically all boost to it by default with XFR2.

essentially the new chips are 200MHz faster out of the box across the board, even after maxing out on overclocks, maybe 300MHz if you're lucky. it's a great chip but there is no such thing as a 10% generational improvement, there hasn't been since the fucking 90s, stop daydreaming

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

where the hell did you find that? because that's absolutely bullshit.... there is no magic in how processors work. at the same clock they do the exact same, because there is no difference between the two chips.

that is of course given that everything else is the same. if you're going to change other things then it's not the CPU making the difference anymore.

to be honest i find that 90% of reviewers don't test/benchmark these properly, they don't control for variables at all.... they just throw a random system together with the 1 part they want to test and they shit out the benchmark results.... and then you come in there and pull these kinds of conclusions. when it's not the case.

gamers nexus has had much more time with the chips because they got them outside of embargo and have actually tested much more extensively, and they have demonstrated that there is no difference between the chips at that level. the difference comes down to motherboard support for the memory's more in death sub timings, an unsuported kit losing you 5% of your final score.

the only real difference that the new manufacturing process has brought (which is the only physical difference between the two) is much lower voltage needs to achieve the 4GHz clock. that's why the basically all boost to it by default with XFR2.

essentially the new chips are 200MHz faster out of the box across the board, even after maxing out on overclocks, maybe 300MHz if you're lucky. it's a great chip but there is no such thing as a 10% generational improvement, there hasn't been since the fucking 90s, stop daydreaming

so attached is my planned build i'm upgrading from an fx8350 build and my budget hit around £450 to £500 i think this is all going to be fine i think i dont do alot of overclocking. using more for gaming and running vm machines for ethical hacking. i like to multi task though :)

Capture.PNG

9 minutes ago, Callum costa said:

so attached is my planned build i'm upgrading from an fx8350 build and my budget hit around £450 to £500 i think this is all going to be fine i think i dont do alot of overclocking. using more for gaming and running vm machines for ethical hacking. i like to multi task though :)

if you don't want to overclock get the X. so it will do most of it for you automagically. or keep this but learn how to do it. it's not very hard and you really want to get all the performance you pay for.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

if you don't want to overclock get the X. so it will do most of it for you automagically. or keep this but learn how to do it. it's not very hard and you really want to get all the performance you pay for.

i can do overclocking and fully intend to overclock memory dimms just dont do alot of it lol i overclocked the crap out of this 8530 to 4.9ghz 1.4w a few times but its showing its age now so iv backed it off for about a year. I will definitely be pushing the ryzen as far as I can.

Here is bargain combo

R5 2600

Asus Prime X470 Pro

3 hours ago, Callum costa said:

Capture.PNG

dont get that board, Asus Prime is better for the same money

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

5 hours ago, dave_k said:

Here is bargain combo

R5 2600

Asus Prime X470 Pro

dont get that board, Asus Prime is better for the same money

what makes you think this spec wise they are similar apart from the built in wifi on the msi?

50 minutes ago, Callum costa said:

what makes you think this spec wise they are similar apart from the built in wifi on the msi?

Prime is better, not similiar

MSI is a just a trashcan with a nice paint

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM