Amp/Dac for HD6XX's?

Drkrinklez

I've finally decided what headphones I am getting, the senheiser hd6xx's. While they seem great, they are 300 ohms. Would a FIIO E10K be able to power them, or do I need something more? 

17 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

I've finally decided what headphones I am getting, the senheiser hd6xx's. While they seem great, they are 300 ohms. Would a FIIO E10K be able to power them, or do I need something more? 

It can though it's not ideal. You'll be better served by something more powerful like the Modi 2/Magni 2 combo though I'd get a Vali 2 instead of the Magni (slighly more expensive)

A lot of users prefer tube amps for the HD 600 series and the most popular is the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball but it's limited to high impedance headphones and tad difficult to get outside of the US 

7 minutes ago, light-v said:

It can though it's not ideal. You'll be better served by something more powerful like the Modi 2/Magni 2 combo though I'd get a Vali 2 instead of the Magni (slighly more expensive)

A lot of users prefer tube amps for the HD 600 series and the most popular is the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball but it's limited to high impedance headphones and tad difficult to get outside of the US 

How would the the Fulla 2 perform? I cant spend more than 300 EDIT: sorry, thats including the headphones, so really 100 for the dac. 

2 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

How would the the Fulla 2 perform? I cant spend more than 300.

Should be okay, it's a fair bit more powerful than the E10K

Just now, light-v said:

Should be okay, it's a fair bit more powerful than the E10K

Would it be able to use all 300 ohms, er... if thats how it works. I don't really understand even after doing tons of research 

7 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

Would it be able to use all 300 ohms, er... if thats how it works. I don't really understand even after doing tons of research 

The impedance is the resistance of the headphones it's not really a mesure of power just an indication of how much resistance they have towards whatever source they're plugged to. You can plug them to a phone but they won't sound all that great and you'll have to crank the volume to the max to hear anything

There is more to that than just signal strength though. Each amp have they own sound signature and will distort the sound to some extent and is hard to objectively measure to establish which amp sounds the best because sound preference is subjective.

4 minutes ago, light-v said:

The impedance is the resistance of the headphones it's not really a mesure of power just an indication of how much resistance they have towards whatever source they're plugged to. You can plug them to a phone but they won't sound all that great and you'll have to crank the volume to the max to hear anything

There is more to that than just signal strength though. Each amp have they own sound signature and will distort the sound to some extent and is hard to objectively measure to establish which amp sounds the best because sound preference is subjective.

Would it be ok to have a fulla 2 for gaming and music? I've heard that the 6xx has a great soundstage for gaming and I also listen to music often. 

Just now, Drkrinklez said:

Would it be ok to have a fulla 2 for gaming and music? I've heard that the 6xx has a great soundstage for gaming and I also listen to music often. 

It's going to be fine with the Fulla 2

All you need to know is that less power just means you won't hear them at their absolute best it's not like the lack of power is suddenly going to make them terrible but the Fulla 2 should give plenty of power for them to thrive. 

18 minutes ago, light-v said:

It's going to be fine with the Fulla 2

All you need to know is that less power just means you won't hear them at their absolute best it's not like the lack of power is suddenly going to make them terrible but the Fulla 2 should give plenty of power for them to thrive. 

What do I need to make them sound their absolute best? 

1 minute ago, Drkrinklez said:

What do I need to make them sound their absolute best? 

A better amp like I said earlier but it falls outside of your budget then.

The Bottlehead Crack with speedball here is commonly considered to be the best match for the HD 600 series by the audio community

300ohm doesn't mean they are hard to drive. I am not a fan of the E10K. I would take the Fulla 2, but if you are on more of a budget get the FX Audio DACX6.

26 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

300ohm doesn't mean they are hard to drive. 

Exactly, it doesn't mean a handphone can drive it well (perhaps the LG G6 and V20/30 series can) but most onboard audio should be able to. As Dackz would often compare:

HE-6 Impedance 50 Ohm/Sensitivity 83.5dB

HD800 Impedance 300 Ohm/Sensitivity 102 dB

To OP, between these two, which do you think is harder to drive? The 50 Ohm HE-6 or the 300 Ohm HD800? Look at the sensitivity instead, there is a wide gap between the HE-6 and the HD800 making the HD800 easier to drive.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2