Ditching TV for a capture card?

So, my office may be going through some renovations and I'm considering ditching my tv which my ps4 is the only console hooked up to. I was wondering if I get a capture card such as the Elgato HD60 pro if I could just route my ps4 through the capture card and just use my monitor as a tv. I understand that latency is my biggest concern going this route, and was wondering if anybody would have an insight as to how bad this latency will be with an internal capture card like the HD60 pro will be.

Thanks in advance! 

I'm confused with what you're trying to do. Can't you just plug your ps4 directly into your monitor or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I could but my monitor only has one hdmi in and even though it may be more expensive than just swapping the cables back out when I'm done, I'm also looking at one to record some of the funnier moments of game time and thought this might be a two birds one stone scenario.

3 minutes ago, Sombra said:

I'm confused with what you're trying to do. Can't you just plug your ps4 directly into your monitor or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I could but my monitor only has one hdmi in and even though it may be more expensive than just swapping the cables back out when I'm done, I'm also looking at one to record some of the funnier moments of game time and thought this might be a two birds one stone scenario.

11 minutes ago, Eathalias said:

Get the elgato if you want to (though the built-in ps4 recorder might be all you need) but an HDMI switch would be a much better option than that setup.

You can record direct onto PS4 and remove the recordings via a USB stick for transferring to PC.

There is also an option of picking up a HDMI splitter which would be a very cheap alternative to a capture card when you can record on the PS4 itself. Being able to transfer files over then to PC if you wanted to edit, funny moments for arguments sake, into a compilation or something along those lines.

Another route you could look down is connecting your PC via some other connection? DP/DVI/VGA whoch would free up the HDMI to leave the PS4 connected so you wouuldn;t have to be disconnecting a single HDMI everytime.

I have my PS4 into my main monitor via HDMI and PC into main monitor via DVI and then my second monitor connected to PC via Display Port which leaves me with a spare HDMI for possible use on my second monitor.

Also to answer your original question about latency on a capture card. Only from what I have read on most reviews, there is little to no latency associated with them. But as with everything there are a couple of reviews which say that latency from these cards have rendered some games unplayable. I would tend to lean towards the majority and think they are virtually lag free. I will be picking up a capture card myself in the near future.

Hope this helps.

G

cap card to game on a moniter lol, just get a HDMI splitter it will save you like $90

I'd go the hdmi switch route.

You can get 4x1, 5x1, 6x1 models etc.. depending on how many devices you have.

I currently use a matrix 4x2 to connect 4 consoles to both my tv and monitor depending on what i feel like playing on.  And I can select each output as well.  My kids can play the Wii-U or Switch on the tv while I play my ps4 on my monitor etc...