MicroServer vs NAS

Gamle

Hi, LTT forum users.

I want to make a media server, but at the sametime use it for local hosting. What should I go for as my server?

Buy the Qnap TS-431P2 4GB 4 bay NAS or use my old HP ProLiant MicroServer AMD NEO N54L with Windows Server 2012. In both cases I need to buy 2 x 8TB NAS harddisks, to store my files so that I can use raid to mirror the harddisks.

What I will be using it for.
- File storage, that I can access both from local network and online
- Have a folder there is synced to dropbox, so that I have an online backup of images in case of fire.
- A local web server for developing.
- Run a few small node.js scripts.
- VPN server.
- MySQL server.
- Maybe a Plex server. But I don't use Plex so much.

What will you recoment, that I do? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Go for the Microserver. You're not gaining much with a dedicated NAS as the Athlon Neo in your server is quite power efficient. My G8 Microserver with a Xeon 1220 with 16GB ans some SAS disks isn't quite as efficient :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 hours ago, Gamle said:

Hi, LTT forum users.

I want to make a media server, but at the sametime use it for local hosting. What should I go for as my server?

Buy the Qnap TS-431P2 4GB 4 bay NAS or use my old HP ProLiant MicroServer AMD NEO N54L with Windows Server 2012. In both cases I need to buy 2 x 8TB NAS harddisks, to store my files so that I can use raid to mirror the harddisks.

What I will be using it for.
- File storage, that I can access both from local network and online
- Have a folder there is synced to dropbox, so that I have an online backup of images in case of fire.
- A local web server for developing.
- Run a few small node.js scripts.
- VPN server.
- MySQL server.
- Maybe a Plex server. But I don't use Plex so much.

What will you recoment, that I do? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say go for the HP, but that's because I have that model, and only just recently retired it for the Gen 10 model.

You'd want to check if the Qnap can do web server, node.js scripts, VPN server, mysql, or plex. if it does, you can either spend $x on the qnap, or 0.5X on the HP. your choice.

Don't expect super fast computing on either system.

On 19/4/2018 at 4:00 AM, Blake said:

I'd say go for the HP, but that's because I have that model, and only just recently retired it for the Gen 10 model.

You'd want to check if the Qnap can do web server, node.js scripts, VPN server, mysql, or plex. if it does, you can either spend $x on the qnap, or 0.5X on the HP. your choice.

Don't expect super fast computing on either system.

Thanks.

If I go for the HP, what OS will you recommend that I use? CentOS, Ubuntu Server, Windows Server, Windows Pro?

On 4/21/2018 at 6:47 AM, Gamle said:

Thanks.

If I go for the HP, what OS will you recommend that I use? CentOS, Ubuntu Server, Windows Server, Windows Pro?

whatever your most competent in. your not running raspberry pi, the performance difference between linux gui v windows gui or windows cli v linux cli will be minimal.

On 18-4-2018 at 3:52 PM, NelizMastr said:

Go for the Microserver. You're not gaining much with a dedicated NAS as the Athlon Neo in your server is quite power efficient. My G8 Microserver with a Xeon 1220 with 16GB ans some SAS disks isn't quite as efficient :P 

Time to order that E3-1265L/1260L off Ebay xD

12 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

Time to order that E3-1265L/1260L off Ebay xD

When you see one for €50 or less let me know :P I only paid €30 for this E3-1220 so I'm not going to invest a fuckton just for a power reduction ^_^ 

That said, it's still a million times more efficient than my 12 core DL380 G7 with 80GB RAM lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

When you see one for €50 or less let me know :P I only paid €30 for this E3-1220 so I'm not going to invest a fuckton just for a power reduction ^_^ 

That said, it's still a million times more efficient than my 12 core DL380 G7 with 80GB RAM lol.

That is a great deal!
So far they are going for 70-80 dollars on Ebay, so it is probably not worth it yet, depending on how much you pay for power.

The 1265 might stay a bit cooler than the E3-1220, though. You can run the 1265 using the stock heatsink, and it will not throttle at all.

6 minutes ago, Pyramiden said:

That is a great deal!
So far they are going for 70-80 dollars on Ebay, so it is probably not worth it yet, depending on how much you pay for power.

The 1265 might stay a bit cooler than the E3-1220, though. You can run the 1265 using the stock heatsink, and it will not throttle at all.

The 1220 stays around 40 degrees most of the time. The heatsink is supposed to support up to 80-something watts so it'll do for now hah :) 

what you want to do with the NAS is exactly what the pre builds from synology and QNap are best suited for.

If power consumption is an issue for you this would be a strong point to go for a prebuild.