Will a Silicon Screen Protector work as well as a Tempered Glass?

Longshot

Hello!

I've recently bought an LG V30+ and went on Amazon to get a tempered glass screen protector and discovered that they are all pretty bad filled with fake reviews, only real good ones i found cost around 50$ and that is a bit too much for me, so i started looking into silicon screen protectors.

but i was wondering how effective is a Silicon Screen Protector? i tend to drop my phone and i don't want the glass to break or scratch. my previous phone, the Nexus 6P, would always have a Tempered Glass Screen Protector on it and i changed around a dozen in the 2.5 years i owned it.

so i was wondering if it's a good idea to get a Silicon Screen Protector? (considering everything i mentioned), how good are they? do they actually protect your phones from falls? (i use a case either way with my screen protector)

9 minutes ago, Longshot said:

Hello!

I've recently bought an LG V30+ and went on Amazon to get a tempered glass screen protector and discovered that they are all pretty bad filled with fake reviews, only real good ones i found cost around 50$ and that is a bit too much for me, so i started looking into silicon screen protectors.

but i was wondering how effective is a Silicon Screen Protector? i tend to drop my phone and i don't want the glass to break or scratch. my previous phone, the Nexus 6P, would always have a Tempered Glass Screen Protector on it and i changed around a dozen in the 2.5 years i owned it.

so i was wondering if it's a good idea to get a Silicon Screen Protector? (considering everything i mentioned), how good are they? do they actually protect your phones from falls? (i use a case either way with my screen protector)

I've never had a silicon screen protector save my screen, although it does help with scratches. The two companies I always use are: Anker and OMOTON for tempered glass.

12 minutes ago, Longshot said:

-SNIP-

By silicone are your referring to the film based ones? 

They work for basic scratch protection but will not be as good as glass for it's hardness or extra impact resistance. I personally used a clear skin before it tended to attract finger prints and scratches as it didn't have any coatings, while nice it's not as good as glass or bare glass. 

4 hours ago, Longshot said:

Hello!

I use a TechSkin on all my devices & it works great. As others have said, impact protection is minimal, but that's what a phone case is for. 

My issue is that most modern glass protectors are too small. They cover ONLY the actual display pixels, and not bezels. Swiping in from the edge feels like I'm cutting my finger. 

And the TechSkin can be installed wet - which REALLY cuts down on trapped dust.