Birthday PC Surprise, need help!

NLTech

I have had an older "workstation" around my house in non working condition for about a year now. I got it for free with a 250gb HDD, Core 2 Quad Q9550, and 8 GB DDR2 RAM. It is a Dell Optiplex 960.

Today is my brother's birthday and I have been thinking of working on it to get it into good condition, I took all the parts back together and assembled them with a different 500 GB HDD. The 500 GB HDD I got from a SFF HP RP5800 and is kinda known for fucking up Windows. It is my best bet, I know my brother doesn't want anything under 500 GB since that is what his laptop has right now. This PC would be a huge upgrade for him. The 500 GB HDD right now has a bunch of word documents from my mom's old hotel and a fucked up Windows 8 install. I popped it into our current machine to look through it, back it up, and such. If I clear everything from the HDD (I also need to know how, I have tried before and Windows doesn't like you to just right click and delete System32) and put on a Windows 10 installer, when I boot it up would it go to a Windows 10 install screen? Also, on a $50 budget, what do you think I could get for a GPU for it, right now it has an old ATI X700 Pro (256 mb) in it that I have been trying to sell. 

Just now, NLTech said:

If I clear everything from the HDD (I also need to know how, I have tried before and Windows doesn't like you to just right click and delete System32) and put on a Windows 10 installer, when I boot it up would it go to a Windows 10 install screen?

To clear it, you can load Windows 10 on a USB then when the PC first powers up, go to the BIOS by spamming the delete key. You will choose to boot from the USB drive and in the setup process you can delete everything on the HDD. This would require a new license for Windows 10 or if your brother can deal with a watermark on the right bottom corner than it is free. If you need more help I can talk you through it.

Just now, NLTech said:

Also, on a $50 budget, what do you think I could get for a GPU for it, right now it has an old ATI X700 Pro (256 mb) in it that I have been trying to sell. 

You could MAYBE get a gtx 950 or 750/750ti for that. It will be a definite upgrade from the current but its nothing special.

Also, it looks like a 750/750ti will be the best GPU for 50$.

Just now, Judd said:

To clear it, you can load Windows 10 on a USB then when the PC first powers up, go to the BIOS by spamming the delete key. You will choose to boot from the USB drive and in the setup process you can delete everything on the HDD. This would require a new license for Windows 10 or if your brother can deal with a watermark on the right bottom corner than it is free. If you need more help I can talk you through it.

You could MAYBE get a gtx 950 or 750/750ti for that. It will be a definite upgrade from the current but its nothing special.

I agree with the 750 or 950 route but just be VERY careful. There are a TON and I mean a TON of fake GPUs on the market right now that are being sold for dirt cheap.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I agree with @Judd, you should also look into a better PSU if at all possible.

-Moved to new Builds and Planning-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Judd said:

Also, it looks like a 750/750ti will be the best GPU for 50$.

The thing about the 750Ti is that every time I look it up it is $80 or more

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I agree with the 750 or 950 route but just be VERY careful. There are a TON and I mean a TON of fake GPUs on the market right now that are being sold for dirt cheap.

Yeah, I have gotten used to seeing those surfing ebay. It is usually pretty easy to spot them 

Just now, NLTech said:

The thing about the 750Ti is that every time I look it up it is $80 or more

On Ebay, so take it with a grain of salt, they are showing anywhere from 43$ to about 85$.

1 minute ago, Judd said:

On Ebay, so take it with a grain of salt, they are showing anywhere from 43$ to about 85$.

Where tho? I have looked on LetGo and I saw two for $200 even

But a 750 will also be a major upgrade. The second hand gpu market is hard to trust. If there is like an Office Depot near you they may have an old Quadro.

Just now, Judd said:

But a 750 will also be a major upgrade. The second hand gpu market is hard to trust. If there is like an Office Depot near you they may have an old Quadro.

Office Depot does that? I will look into it once I can get the thing to actually boot at all and post Windows. 

25 minutes ago, NLTech said:

If I clear everything from the HDD (I also need to know how, I have tried before and Windows doesn't like you to just right click and delete System32) and put on a Windows 10 installer, when I boot it up would it go to a Windows 10 install screen?

No.

25 minutes ago, NLTech said:

IAlso, on a $50 budget, what do you think I could get for a GPU for it, right now it has an old ATI X700 Pro (256 mb) in it that I have been trying to sell. 

For 50$ you should look at the used market and what you find may vary. Something like a 750/ti would be a great starting point if you can find one, otherwise an hd7750 or 7790 should do as well.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

No.

For 50$ you should look at the used market and what you find may vary. Something like a 750/ti would be a great starting point if you can find one, otherwise an hd7750 or 7790 should do as well.

I have looked before into an HD 7570 since you can find them for $25 easily. 

10 hours ago, NLTech said:

I have looked before into an HD 7570 since you can find them for $25 easily. 

Well... the performance starts to drop pretty quickly below the 7700, I wouldn't recommend going that low if you can avoid it. With that said, it ought to be enough for lighter games.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Well... the performance starts to drop pretty quickly below the 7700, I wouldn't recommend going that low if you can avoid it. With that said, it ought to be enough for lighter games.

Yeah, for me I just do CSGO and video editing. Most intense is probably Dirty Bomb. My brother basically plays The Division, and Warframe

6 minutes ago, NLTech said:

Yeah, for me I just do CSGO and video editing. Most intense is probably Dirty Bomb. My brother basically plays The Division, and Warframe

The division claims you need at least an hd7770 to play it, although if you're content with 30 fps the 7570 might do the job.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*