Clean Vanilla Install on HP Laptop

Basically, I was given for a gift for school an HP Laptop from Wal-Mart and on paper, it has pretty good specs for a college students laptop, i7-7500u, 12gb ram, 1tb HDD, a and all the i/o I could ever need. Unfortunately the laptop since the week I got it has never really worked as well as those specs should have. Examples of this would be when I'm writing papers word crashes very frequently and makes me lose some progress from time to time or the fact just doing basic windows tasks is usually incredibly slow, slower than I think a 5400 rpm hard drive should be. Basically I was wondering if doing a fresh windows install from a USB stick I have would be a good idea and in turn getting rid of the million hp bloatware they provide or if the only real way I'm gonna get any sort of performance boost is with an upgrade to an SSD.

HP Pavilion - 15-cc060wm

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-cc000-laptop-pc/15551391/model/16901674/troubleshooting?sku=1KU13UA

what version of windows do you have?

what version of word do you have

PC SPECS:

Case: TT View 27 Black

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 SLI XTREME ATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k 

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz DDR4

PSU: Generic 800 Watt

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler(*oof*)

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

NON PC STUFF:

Monitor: Alienware 25 Freesync(i know i have an nvidia card)

kb: Corsair K65 Luxe with MX Red Switches(and a white backplate mod to enhance the RGB)

Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 700 at 1600 dpi

Audio: Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

RGB: Corsair Lighting Node Pro with corsair light strips

8 minutes ago, d0ge said:

what version of windows do you have?

what version of word do you have

Windows 10 Home 10.0.16299 Build 16299

and I believe it is the downloaded version of Office 365 that is provided by my school

well so long as you have login credentials for Office 365, a fresh install MIGHT speed it up a bit, but i think you'd be far better served by swapping out that HDD for a SSD.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic