How can I fix my laptop?

I'm new to the website so forgive me if this post has already been done or is in the incorrect location.

So basically my laptop wouldn't charge and I couldn't use the adapter as a way of powering the laptop on its own without the battery installed. I opened it up and checked everything and it mostly seemed fine until I checked the power jack inside the laptop that delivers the power to the motherboard and the cable is damaged. 

The laptop chassis itself  was poorly made as everytime I lifted the lid up it would sort of pull the base apart and I believe this is what caused the power jack inside the laptop to become loose. Before it broke completely I had to keep moving the port where the charger connected to ensure it charged. Now in theory everything else looks fine and undamaged but I have no idea if installing a new cable will fix it.

Where would the best place I can go to to get another power jack bearing in mind I live in the UK?

The laptop I have is a Lenovo G505s A8 4500m 1.9GHz APU, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15" Screen.

2 minutes ago, BradleyAustin97 said:

I'm new to the website so forgive me if this post has already been done or is in the incorrect location.

So basically my laptop wouldn't charge and I couldn't use the adapter as a way of powering the laptop on its own without the battery installed. I opened it up and checked everything and it mostly seemed fine until I checked the power jack inside the laptop that delivers the power to the motherboard and the cable is damaged. 

The laptop chassis itself  was poorly made as everytime I lifted the lid up it would sort of pull the base apart and I believe this is what caused the power jack inside the laptop to become loose. Before it broke completely I had to keep moving the port where the charger connected to ensure it charged. Now in theory everything else looks fine and undamaged but I have no idea if installing a new cable will fix it.

Where would the best place I can go to to get another power jack bearing in mind I live in the UK?

The laptop I have is a Lenovo G505s A8 4500m 1.9GHz APU, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15" Screen.

Oh boy... the IdeadPad 400 and 500 series have a bad reputation for hinge failures. My P580 failed the same way except it didn't go as far as ripping the power in. It prevented the hinge from moving as nothing was holding it onto the base anymore. 

You'll essentially have to re solder the plug back onto the board. You could probably run patch wires, but that doesn't' solve the fact that the plug will just be flapping around. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you have a warranty... do that thing. Otherwise, I would look at who makes the power jack on the mobo (Probably foxconn), remove the battery (to avoid death) and then install a new power jack using a $5 soldering iron from amazon. Good luck, it won't be easy to fix.

"Shashabooey" - Po

Thanks for the responses but why do I need to re solder? It doesn't look like it'll be out of place and connects directly to a connector on the motherboard. It's this cable:

yeah the laptop definitely has some sort of problem with the hinges and I've seen other forum posts elsewhere of people having problem with Lenovo laptops. My laptop had a decent processor and everything in that sense is great but you can tell the chassis was cheaply manufactured

WP_20180413_19_14_41_Pro.jpg

is the cable damaged or has the mounting tabs that hold the jack in place broken making the jack "fall in" in a way preventing you from plugging it in? I had a family member that had a bad habit of setting her laptop just wherever with the cord plugged in and that eventually led to the center post of the jack (and the plastic that held it in place) breaking off from the rest of the plastic of the jack, I managed to fit it back together and then hot glue it in place to prevent it from moving.

22 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

is the cable damaged or has the mounting tabs that hold the jack in place broken making the jack "fall in" in a way preventing you from plugging it in? I had a family member that had a bad habit of setting her laptop just wherever with the cord plugged in and that eventually led to the center post of the jack (and the plastic that held it in place) breaking off from the rest of the plastic of the jack, I managed to fit it back together and then hot glue it in place to prevent it from moving.

the wires themselves that come out of the yellow port are damaged beyond repair. The charger fits in to the port okay though.

OK, does it have a part number sticker on it? if not you can try googling the laptop model and looking on ebay, the ones i've looked up in the past where around 6 bucks, which is worth it over trying to fix something like that.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

OK, does it have a part number sticker on it? if not you can try googling the laptop model and looking on ebay, the ones i've looked up in the past where around 6 bucks, which is worth it over trying to fix something like that.

yeah, thank you for the help, It does have a part number on it, I'll have a look now