Accelero S1 + HD7850

I'm pretty concerned about my HD7850, it has the age old "my second fan on this sapphire card" won't spin issue, but  that's besides the point.

I was wondering if an Accelero S1 + case fan (120mm 1200RPM) can handle the card, seems to me that it's an airflow fan but the fins on the cooler seem to be sparse enough to not require too high of a static pressure.

Buying the fan module for this cooler is out of the question, by the way

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

You could probably do that, although I don't know if one 120mm fan will be able to handle the whole card.

Well the fan module for the cooler IS one 120mm fan at 1000RPM (though with high static pressure i assume)

Like, currently the one fan on the card is doing well enough on its own, but I seriously have to enable v-sync, otherwise the extra fps will just make the card take off, if the card gets too hot THEN the second fan will start spinning (at around 90% regardless of temps, i checked), so I assume a cooler as giant as that and one fan should be enough, hopefully, like with the fan module it says it can handle 200w, not sure about a regular airflow case fan though

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

2 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Well the fan module for the cooler IS one 120mm fan at 1000RPM (though with high static pressure i assume)

Like, currently the one fan on the card is doing well enough on its own, but I seriously have to enable v-sync, otherwise the extra fps will just make the card take off, if the card gets too hot THEN the second fan will start spinning (at around 90% regardless of temps, i checked), so I assume a cooler as giant as that and one fan should be enough, hopefully, like with the fan module it says it can handle 200w, not sure about a regular airflow case fan though

I think Linus said if you're going to do this, you want a fan that's optimized for static pressure but I forget.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think Linus said if you're going to do this, you want a fan that's optimized for static pressure but I forget.

Yes, but as I've said, the fins seem sparse enough to not require too much static pressure to get the air moving

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

They advertise cards upto 150W with this cooler.

When i was looking fpr a gpu cooler i decided against the S3 and bought a Xtrem 3 to be safe.

Techpowerup says the 7850 has a tdp of 130w, but I overclocked mine so I'm not so sure what my TDP is, it's running at 1050 core, 1450 mem and 1155 mV

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Can you get a cheap Xtrem 3?

Pretty overkill for the 7850.

The S1 should be plenty of cooling. The fins are very loose and just about any spare case fan will be fine.

It might be easier to zip tie a case fan to the stock heatsink though. Depending on how old the card is, replacing the thermal paste might also help.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Yes, but as I've said, the fins seem sparse enough to not require too much static pressure to get the air moving

Techpowerup says the 7850 has a tdp of 130w, but I overclocked mine so I'm not so sure what my TDP is, it's running at 1050 core, 1450 mem and 1155 mV

I just did some testing and I found out I can greatly reduce temps if I run it at 920/1250 (stock) and lower the voltage, so far I got to 1020mV and seems stable.

Nevermind after restarting heaven it started to glitch

However same clocks, but 1050mV seems to do the trick.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Pretty overkill for the 7850.

The S1 should be plenty of cooling. The fins are very loose and just about any spare case fan will be fine.

It might be easier to zip tie a case fan to the stock heatsink though. Depending on how old the card is, replacing the thermal paste might also help.

It's not getting hot per-se, but it takes the fans a long time to start up (which gets me concerned that they might fail soon), and it just suddenly goes from 0 to 100% and I have to wait for them to cool a bit so they can slow down.

I do run a custom profile in Afterburner, but that doesn't help  with my situation.

18 minutes ago, xFluing said:

It's not getting hot per-se, but it takes the fans a long time to start up (which gets me concerned that they might fail soon), and it just suddenly goes from 0 to 100% and I have to wait for them to cool a bit so they can slow down.

I do run a custom profile in Afterburner, but that doesn't help  with my situation.

OK so the workaround to this is to run the card at stock clocks and 1050mV to keep it cool enough for the fans to not shoot  up instantly when reaching 80c, now they actually start at 65c

Edit: however, I think I'll go for the cooler after all, I'm losing a lot of performance if I do this.