Cooler Master Elite 130 w/ PSU as exhaust, will the system overheat?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey guys

So I purchased a Cooler Master elite 130 for the meanwhile to prep my system for the Ghost S1 since both systems allow similar GPU sizes and CPU cooler heights.

I currently have an i5 8600k and a GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 in the cooler master case. The 1080 Ti takes in air from the outside vent on the side but exhausts it into the case as it is an open faced card (non blower).

The CPU cooler is a Thermalright AXP-100RH w/ a noctua NF-F12 on it exhausting up instead of blowing air down on the heatsink. It is Exhausting up towards the top exhaust vent (meant for PSU intake) but there are some PSU cables blocking a direct path to the vent.

I have 2 intake fans, one NF-F12 blowing air in from the front an and 80mm fan blowing air directly into the cpu heatsink from the side.

The PSU is a Corsair SF600 with a 90 or 92mm fan. Basically the system will have a heat mixture of the cpu blowing air up and whatever 80mm fan is cooling on the motherboard along with the GPU exhuast.

The only active Exhaust in my case is the PSU and passive exhaust is just the top vent.

Should I be concerned at all? GPU is able to maintain its 0 RPM mode and when testing with TimeSpy, it goes up to ~75C. CPU gaming under load has bumped hit about ~60 probably from the hot air from the GPU. Idle cpu temp is also sitting at ~40. No OC (yet)

Elite 130.jpg

using a psu as an exhaust isnt that smart especially if its a sfx psu , but then again the only really thing about it its probably that u gonna get a jet engine noise from the psu, more then that i doubt itl do :D , aslong u dont do any crazy ass oc,s / stress the psu alot u should be ok ( besides maybe random jet engine noises xD )

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

using a psu as an exhaust isnt that smart especially if its a sfx psu , but then again the only really thing about it its probably that u gonna get a jet engine noise from the psu, more then that i doubt itl do :D , aslong u dont do any crazy ass oc,s / stress the psu alot u should be ok ( besides maybe random jet engine noises xD )

if anything from my 3dmark testing I hear the GPU spinning up but don't hear the PSU fan really whirling up super loud. Which made me thing it maybe was OK.

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

if anything from my 3dmark testing I hear the GPU spinning up but don't hear the PSU fan really whirling up super loud. Which made me thing it maybe was OK.

should be fine then, psus have a thermal sensor and should ramp up the fan when getting hotter

however keep in mind a sfx fan is quite tiny xD it might be just a quiet fan lol just check on its rpm ( put ear cloes to it or w/e xD )

also remember heat will slowly build up with too little exhaust, maybe in 20mins u dont have overheating but maybe in 2hours u might  , but then again u should prolly hear a jet engine before its actuall overheating ;v 

(◑‿◐)

The PSU is rated for full power at 40°C. Try measuring the intake temp. 

The PSU fan is controlled by the PSU temperature, so it might not be that bad. 

Does the case not have any spaces for exhaust fans?

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The PSU is rated for full power at 40°C. Try measuring the intake temp. 

The PSU fan is controlled by the PSU temperature, so it might not be that bad. 

Does the case not have any spaces for exhaust fans?

The fan mounts are a 120mm intake from the front and a 80mm fan from the side. On CoolerMaster's website it is either a passive exhaust or use PSU as exhaust. Its only a temp setup til June. but I just don't want to destroy my system lol