Tips for upgrading my trash pc

Go to solution Solved by ZcanKal,
Just now, CyberTater said:

I'm hoping to play current games (Gta 5, COD, Just Cause 3, Etc..) at around 50-60 fps 1080p

You need a new box my dude, keep saving more if you can.

I also recommend waiting for Ryzen + to launch, it'll make current Ryzen chips cheaper.

Ryzen 3 1200,
2x4gb DDR4,
GTX 1050 (or 1050 ti),
B350 mATX motherboard.

I have a really old pc made of an amalgam of parts. I need help upgrading for gaming for 200 US dollars or less. current specs:

Case: old server monstrosity.

Mobo: old LGA775 (idk model number)

graphics card: EVGA GTX 750

processor :Intel core 2 duo e4700 OC to 3.00 gHz.

ram: 4- 1g sticks of various types

any help would be appreciated. Thx

Honestly, you would be best saving all your money until you can properly upgrade your full system. You would likely need around 400$ total to get a Ryzen APU, DDR4 memory kit, mobo, and storage, assuming you are still using a mechanical drive. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Q6600 quad is about the best CPU for your current set up.  If you don't want to start over with a new MOBO, this is the best way to go.  The 750 isn't a horrible 1080p card.

6 minutes ago, CyberTater said:

I have a really old pc made of an amalgam of parts. I need help upgrading for gaming for 200 US dollars or less. current specs:

Case: old server monstrosity.

Mobo: old LGA775 (idk model number)

graphics card: EVGA GTX 750

processor :Intel core 2 duo e4700 OC to 3.00 gHz.

ram: 4- 1g sticks of various types

any help would be appreciated. Thx

Give us your performance expectations. what  you want to do with your pc. stream, game, how many fps on wanted game, what resolution ?

8 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Honestly, you would be best saving all your money until you can properly upgrade your full system. You would likely need around 400$ total to get a Ryzen APU, DDR4 memory kit, mobo, and storage, assuming you are still using a mechanical drive. 

You don't need an SSD if you're patient.

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

You don't need an SSD if you're patient.

in todays computing world, who is patient enough to wait for a non SSD boot up? Only people who have yet to experience SSD boot times and the wonders they bring. Hell, I have a NVME SSD in my HTPC as a boot drive and all I do is watch Hulu/netflix on the box... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

in todays computing world, who is patient enough to wait for a non SSD boot up? Only people who have yet to experience SSD boot times and the wonders they bring. Hell, I have a NVME SSD in my HTPC as a boot drive and all I do is watch Hulu/netflix on the box... 

Me, because the old laptop HDD is surprisingly quick, though that may be due to Windows 8.1's boot times.

11 minutes ago, ShutuPas [DMG] said:

Give us your performance expectations. what  you want to do with your pc. stream, game, how many fps on wanted game, what resolution ?

I'm hoping to play current games (Gta 5, COD, Just Cause 3, Etc..) at around 50-60 fps 1080p

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Me, because the old laptop HDD is surprisingly quick, though that may be due to Windows 8.1's boot times.

My hard drive was sitting at 70MB/s read, 60MB/s write. This was on a new laptop. I swapped it out with an 860 evo and went from the latter to 500+ r/w. My boot times went from 1m10s to 14s. All of my applications load significantly faster now.

I’m a very patient person, but sometimes you’re better off saving your patience for something else. Downloads for instance.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

My hard drive was sitting at 70MB/s read, 60MB/s write. This was on a new laptop. I swapped it out with an 860 evo and went from the latter to 500+ r/w. My boot times went from 1m10s to 14s. All of my applications load significantly faster now.

I’m a very patient person, but sometimes you’re better off saving your patience for something else. Downloads for instance.

It's not so much the sequential read/write as it is the random read/write, meaning an ssd can find data much faster than a mechanical drive due to the effectively nonexistent seek time.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, CyberTater said:

I also recommend waiting for Ryzen + to launch, it'll make current Ryzen chips cheaper.

Ryzen 3 1200,
2x4gb DDR4,
GTX 1050 (or 1050 ti),
B350 mATX motherboard.

I might just wait for my dad to get a processor upgrade at some point and get his old processor. He's got an i5-4690k

4 minutes ago, CyberTater said:

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

Ryzen 3 1200,
2x4gb DDR4,
GTX 1050 (or 1050 ti),
B350 mATX motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdmDxG

Yep. you`re right. but i would suggest not to buy gpu right now. GTA 5 1080p High Detail 30-40fps with 2200G stock. You would need to update BIOS in order to boot. 

Would there be any issues with buying a dell optiplex MT 9010 and putting my graphics card and 350w power supply in it?