MSI core Frozr L - 8700K

Jessop

I'm thinking of getting an MSI Frozr L to go with my i7 8700K -

I m really keen on air and would prefer to stay away from AIO Liquid coolers.

I will only be doing Mild OC 

Has anyone got any exp with this cooler and an 8700K ?

Mptherboard is an Asrock Z370 Extreme 4

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

I don't know much about the cooler, but i can vouch for the motherboard you're using, I have it myself :)

I haven't come across any issues with it, the bios is easy to use and setup an overclock. There is pre-set overclock profiles, so you could use them, thought they have voltages set way above what they could be for less.

For other coolers, I would consider looking at some of these:

Noctua NH-D15

Dark Rock Pro 3

CRYORIG R1 Ultimate

I have the 8700k at 4.7Ghz at 1.21v and I'm happy with it.  Expect great performance from it. I came from an i5 6500, and i could easily see the difference in performance all across the board.

I personally wont go for 5ghz as i don't really see the gains from it.

Its going to be lower midrange in performance. So it will be fine for stock and maybe some OCing, if you are lucky. But you are paying for looks. Just keep that in mind. (Source review https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Core_Frozr_L/6.html)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, BaronButtsie said:

I don't know much about the cooler, but i can vouch for the motherboard you're using, I have it myself :)

I haven't come across any issues with it, the bios is easy to use and setup an overclock. There is pre-set overclock profiles, so you could use them, thought they have voltages set way above what they could be for less.

For other coolers, I would consider looking at some of these:

Noctua NH-D15

Dark Rock Pro 3

CRYORIG R1 Ultimate

I have the 8700k at 4.7Ghz at 1.21v and I'm happy with it.  Expect great performance from it. I came from an i5 6500, and i could easily see the difference in performance all across the board.

I personally wont go for 5ghz as i don't really see the gains from it.

I 'm glad you have had good performance with the motherboard - I myself haven't actually set it up yet - but I 'm planning to this coming weekend .

I've done extensive research on the Extreme 4 and it looks like a clear winner in many areas

BTW - not sure if you are aware that there's a new bios out for the extreme 4 - Ver 1.80 - which stabilizes memory for even more compatibility and stable OC .

I also will not push the chip to 5ghz - its just not worth it -

I'm going to settle for 4.7 if i can get it at decent temps with the MSI Frozr L -

I'm going to install it in my H440 which runs a bit hot so I'll slowly test temps before pushing for a 4.7 OC - but i have decent corsair Fans so it should be fine

unfortunately - I'm in south Africa and cannot get Dark rock or Noctua here also that's why i'm going with the MSI Frozr L- but from the reviews I've seen it looks good -

there's an extra bracket included with the cooler which can accommodate another fan for push pul so if temps are high I'll just add an extra fan

Thanx for the head up :)

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

On 4/11/2018 at 7:30 PM, georgevar59 said:

I 'm glad you have had good performance with the motherboard - I myself haven't actually set it up yet - but I 'm planning to this coming weekend .

I've done extensive research on the Extreme 4 and it looks like a clear winner in many areas

BTW - not sure if you are aware that there's a new bios out for the extreme 4 - Ver 1.80 - which stabilizes memory for even more compatibility and stable OC .

I'm going to settle for 4.7 if i can get it at decent temps with the MSI Frozr L -

I'm going to install it in my H440 which runs a bit hot so I'll slowly test temps before pushing for a 4.7 OC - but i have decent corsair Fans so it should be fine

unfortunately - i'm in south Africa and cannot get Dark rock or Noctua here also that's why i'm going with the MSI Frozr L- but from the reviews I've seen it looks god -

there's an extra bracket included with the cooler which can accommodate another fan for push pul so if temps are high I'll just add an extra fan

No problem dude :) . When you boot into the bios, you can update it directly from there, so yea I'm on Ver 1.80.  If you are planning on just keeping it at 4.7ghz, you could then slowly lower the voltage. that's what i did, I started at 1.25v and worked my way down. Funny enough, I've just upped mine from 1.21v to 1.22 on 4.8Ghz and its pretty stable.

10 hours ago, BaronButtsie said:

No problem dude :) . When you boot into the bios, you can update it directly from there, so yea I'm on Ver 1.80.  If you are planning on just keeping it at 4.7ghz, you could then slowly lower the voltage. that's what i did, I started at 1.25v and worked my way down. Funny enough, I've just upped mine from 1.21v to 1.22 on 4.8Ghz and its pretty stable.

are u running manual voltage or offset ?

On 4/11/2018 at 8:30 PM, georgevar59 said:

unfortunately - i'm in south Africa and cannot get Dark rock or Noctua here also that's why i'm going with the MSI Frozr L- but from the reviews I've seen it looks god -

The Front L is overpriced. Wootware has a Phanteks TC14PE (or something like that) for like R200 more that will smash the Frozr L while still looking classy 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 4/14/2018 at 1:42 PM, Froody129 said:

The Front L is overpriced. Wootware has a Phanteks TC14PE (or something like that) for like R200 more that will smash the Frozr L while still looking classy 

Thanx - I'll check it out :)

• 1 month later...

Just to chip in, the Frozer allowed me to overclock my i5 4670k to the highest it would let me without reaching above 70c, its a pretty decent air cooler and looking at benchmarks outperforms the cheapest Liquid cooling solutions, so if you want better make sure to do your research on the liquid coolers, some of them are pretty lame.

6 hours ago, Joy-Energiser said:

Just to chip in, the Frozer allowed me to overclock my i5 4670k to the highest it would let me without reaching above 70c, its a pretty decent air cooler and looking at benchmarks outperforms the cheapest Liquid cooling solutions, so if you want better make sure to do your research on the liquid coolers, some of them are pretty lame.

Thanx - I'vr bought the MSI FrozL and have had decent results with it - very quiet and decent temps below 70cat around 47Ghz overclock - but i  went back to using my old corsair H100 and i can easily got to 49Ghz overclock with temps around 50c under load and around 65 under full load - so it looks like AIO collers do a better job - but if i want silent and not extreme Overclocking - the MSI FrozrL is a great air cooler