GPU powered by PSU or PCI-E?

I am wondering if it would be better to have a 1050ti powered by the psu would be significantly better or could i get away with having it powered by the mobo (pci-e)

I'm looking into getting the asus 1050 ti dual fan white gpu but wondering if it would have a performance drop because its powered by the motherboard and not the psu.

PLEASE HELP!

A GPU with a PSU connection at the top or side cannot run without power from the PSU.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I believe that PCI-E is capable of providing 75 watts. However since you didn't mention which 1050 Ti it is, we can't know for sure. Most of the 1050 models (without Ti), technically can run without the additional 6-pin cable but only if you're not stressing it too much and not doing any overclocking.

But my question is, why don't you want to provide your GPU with that extra power?

The PCI-e connetor only provides 75W of power. A reference 1050ti, remember this is with the pascal more power effiecent architecture, wants 300W of power, so there is no way it would 25% of the wanted power.

important figure in mensa

If a Gpu doesn't have PSU connections at the top, then it will be powered. No performance is gained from getting power from the motherboard or PSU. It only matters on your card.

There is no modification to power a Gpu from the PSU. Don't try.

hi.

10 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

The PCI-e connetor only provides 75W of power. A reference 1050ti, remember this is with the pascal more power effiecent architecture, wants 300W of power, so there is no way it would 25% of the wanted power.

it only uses about 75W. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-6.html I think you might be confusing it with the recommended minimum PSU wattage. NMS is correct.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

2 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

it only uses about 75W. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-6.html I think you might be confusing it with the recommended minimum PSU wattage. NMS is correct.

14 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

The 300W of power is the recommended power supply as pointed by @henkka_scorpio. In reality a card like that won't go above 125 watts at full load I'd say. But again, that depends on the model since every manufacturer sets their own clocks. And even then, the difference would be about 5-15 watts.

29 minutes ago, KSI Hawkk said:

I am wondering if it would be better to have a 1050ti powered by the psu would be significantly better or could i get away with having it powered by the mobo (pci-e)

I'm looking into getting the asus 1050 ti dual fan white gpu but wondering if it would have a performance drop because its powered by the motherboard and not the psu.

PLEASE HELP!

there are a couple of 1050ti that are powered just by the PCIe, no connection to the PSU, they are very optimized cards, there is no difference in performance. The only problem may be if you plan on overcloking, i guess it's impossible to say if the card will need more power than what the PCIe can deliver.

I think the asus 1050ti dual white is one of them, is that one you mention. Maybe if you say what model someone can clear the OC question.

Surely the answer is if you buy a card WITH an extra power connector , it will require more than the 75w the pcie slot alone can deliver. If the card does NOT have an extra power connector then it will happily run on the 75w alone.

maybe the OP is asking which is better? and in that case the card that draws more power (with power connector) will be able to run faster/more overclocked than the one using only a max of 75w..

I assume you are only talking about NVidia as AMD tends not to have much in the way of low powered cards.

Broadly tho all gfx card in the same range (eg 1050ti) will perform within 10% of each other, maybe at the top end cards have a greater potential for variability in performance. imo.

10 hours ago, asus killer said:

there are a couple of 1050ti that are powered just by the PCIe, no connection to the PSU, they are very optimized cards, there is no difference in performance. The only problem may be if you plan on overcloking, i guess it's impossible to say if the card will need more power than what the PCIe can deliver.

I think the asus 1050ti dual white is one of them, is that one you mention. Maybe if you say what model someone can clear the OC question.

yes its the asus dual white 1050 ti. it doesnt require psu power. i was just wondering if there would be a performance difference between the asus dual and one that was powered by the psu. 

1 hour ago, KSI Hawkk said:

yes its the asus dual white 1050 ti. it doesnt require psu power. i was just wondering if there would be a performance difference between the asus dual and one that was powered by the psu. 

no there is no difference that i know of. Apart from any OC version out of the box or that you intent to OC yourself, like i said.

But you can compare clock speeds and all the characteristics and see if there are any differences, but there shouldn't be. Just for not having the 6 pins connector doesn't automatically means it's slower.

Just now, asus killer said:

no there is no difference that i know of. Apart from any OC version out of the box or that you intent to OC yourself, like i said.

But you can compare clock speeds and all the characteristics and see if there are any differences, but there shouldn't be. Just for not having the 6 pins connector doesn't automatically means it's slower.

thanks for the help. i wanted a white 1050 ti but i didnt want to sacrifice too much for performance