Sony Walkman buying advice

D1398342003

Well, I just washed my old Walkman NWZ-S764. It would be more accurate to say that I had it in my pants pocket while it went through the wash. It's obviously now non-functional. Annoyingly enough I've done it once before, to another of the same type of Walkman.

So now it's time to buy a new one, and I'm not really liking my options. Most of the new models have touchscreens, which are about 95% incompatible with smooth operation through a layer of denim. The A20 and E395 both have buttons, which I prefer. I like the A20's control diamond, and that the 'Back' and 'Option' buttons are further away from it. I'd be able to accept the E395 if needed though. I'd be paying 3x the cost for slightly better controls, better sound file compatibility, and SD expandability.

My main question is if they have song navigation by folder. My old Walkman had sorting by things like Artist, Genre, Album, ect. It's a feature that was not very publicized, but existed. Is this feature still present on either of these players?

Secondly, I've heard some complaints that the E395 has bad battery life and slow something, UI or song navigation maybe? I'm not sure if these complaints are valid.

While I never used these models, may I ask if you are willing to look at other brands?

If so then FiiO has some good options like the X1II.

Just thought I'd let you know :)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

5 hours ago, Sfekke said:

While I never used these models, may I ask if you are willing to look at other brands?

If so then FiiO has some good options like the X1II.

Just thought I'd let you know :)

It does have a touch based wheel on it, how important to the overall function is that? I usually keep my player in my jeans pocket and hit the buttons through the material.

How does the 12 hour battery last with headphones rather than earbuds? I prefer to have the player last through an 8 hour day of work if possible.

Touch wheel is tactile, unlike the iPod Classic it actually moves and is mechanical.

I've never owned a FiiO, but I do have a friend using this exact model according to what he says it lasts 9 hours with audiotechnica m50x's.

I bet using my Philips SHS3300 it'd last a little more then that.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I wouldn't mind being able to play my FLAC music, but I don't need something really high end.

Just to be clear, my main priorities are:

8-10 hours actual listening time.

Button based controls

3.5mm headphone jack

Folder style navigation option

Having high res audio would be a nice feature, but I don't require it.

20 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

So you are looking at a high end DAP?

Oh gawd, there’s another toy for me to get?! ;-) Heh, I’m now musing about getting a Raspberry Pi, fiddle around with it, and make a tiny DAP with it.  Large Capacity SD card >>>> Pi >>>>> DAC >>>> Tonal Control?! >>>>> Headamp >>>>>> headphone >>>>> CNS (central nervous system).

20 hours ago, D1398342003 said:

I wouldn't mind being able to play my FLAC music, but I don't need something really high end.

Just to be clear, my main priorities are:

8-10 hours actual listening time.

Button based controls

3.5mm headphone jack

Folder style navigation option

Having high res audio would be a nice feature, but I don't require it.

Are you willing to dig up an older Apple device, nuke it, and tweak it out?

I have a handful of older iDevices rattling around: iTouch (rectangular brick, looks like a phone), iNano (looks like an oversized SD card with a tactile ring in front of it), and an even older iTouch (no camera, sloped, rounded edges). I’ve mused about setting up each device for a different genre of music. The iTunes application is bloody awful; however, I might be able to use a 3rd party application that over-rides the music app on the i-Device.  Here’s a 2017 article at How To Geek that might help you/me out.

My challenge is to get a Podcast application that works for me. The one installed on iPads is counter-intuitive for me.

Just my musings....

Don’t go for Fiio X1 or the X1II. I’ve owned them both, the X1 sounds harch, the X1II is very very sluggish and the Bluetooth doesn’t work well.

If you want to go bang for the buck, definitely go for a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox on it, this sounds amazing and you have a lot of customization.

If you want to go DAP, then I can recommend you a Shanling M2 or M3S, I am owning a M3S and that thing is a beast. I will cost you some, but you will have some!

I’ve done a lot of research with these DAPs, my main concerns were: smooth UI, minimum of 200GB Micro-SD, no touch and no addons whats so ever regarding license fees you pay when getting for example a Onkyo or Pioneer DAP with Android etc. These will costs you even more then the Shanling.

And of course the main thing, sound quality. What I mentioned before the thing is a BEAST! Has a 2.5mm balanced output aswel. I still need to test that one. Also what I should mention is that it has a automatic function build in for sensitive IEM’s. They sound amazing with the M3S.

There are other cheaper options out there, but you will sacrifice on or more of these points: UI speed and simplicity, Micro-SD expansion capabilities, sound, overall device quality, design, outputs, functions like balanced output and very stable Bluetooth connection with Aptx codec)

Or you pay 400€+ and you will get more hehe.

Your choice, this is what I think and have experienced with some DAPs.

P.S. I still own my Sansa Clip+ ^^ it’s a great one for doing sports!