Weird thing, not sure what it means or how serious

Sin Stalker

I booted up my computer with the intent of running some benchmarks. I closed some programs that are set to on start up and opened a few programs when the displays went dead.

My rgb keyboard and mouse appeared off.

The fans in the computer were still on and the RGB light stripes connected to the motherboard were still on. 

When I hit the reset button, nothing happened.

When I held down the power button, nothing happened.

I then turned off the power supply and left it for a few seconds.

Turned the power supply back on, then the computer and everything seems fine now. I am not sure if there was a pop or other sort of noise when the computer did what it did, because I had ear buds in, listening to something on my phone.

The only hardware change to my computer recently was a new (used) GPU, a 980ti.

The only software change to my computer was installing Nvidia Inspector and turning on a few settings for 3 monitor power saver, that is used to allow the GPU to go fully idle when connected to three displays (a known bug with some cards and configurations).

The idle was fine all day today, going down from 63 at idle to the low 40s. 

Could this be a random thing that just sometimes occurs in the world of PC or electronics or something else? A GPU on its last leg?

Most likely a software bug. You should be fine. As long as you were able to restart manually and everything works, it's fine. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

5 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

I booted up my computer with the intent of running some benchmarks. I closed some programs that are set to on start up and opened a few programs when the displays went dead.

My rgb keyboard and mouse appeared off.

The fans in the computer were still on and the RGB light stripes connected to the motherboard were still on. 

When I hit the reset button, nothing happened.

When I held down the power button, nothing happened.

I then turned off the power supply and left it for a few seconds.

Turned the power supply back on, then the computer and everything seems fine now. I am not sure if there was a pop or other sort of noise when the computer did what it did, because I had ear buds in, listening to something on my phone.

The only hardware change to my computer recently was a new (used) GPU, a 980ti.

The only software change to my computer was installing Nvidia Inspector and turning on a few settings for 3 monitor power saver, that is used to allow the GPU to go fully idle when connected to three displays (a known bug with some cards and configurations).

The idle was fine all day today, going down from 63 at idle to the low 40s. 

Could this be a random thing that just sometimes occurs in the world of PC or electronics or something else? A GPU on its last leg?

Did you maybe mess with any of your GPU overclock settings before this happened, because that sounds like what happens when you crank up the memory way higher than it can handle. Screen goes black, the system won't respond to anything you do, but the lights and fans stay on. That's exactly what happens in that scenario.

Did you maybe see even quick artifacting right before it happened?

That looks like starting up a Nes cartridge without blowing in it first :P

Even if this is what happened, 

I wouldn't worry too much.

As long as you didn't crank the voltage way up or cause it to overheat, it's not really going to hurt it if you cranked something like the memory too high once.

Assuming that's what it is of course.

If you want to know more,

maybe check out your reliability history and see what that says at the time that the crash happened.

There could be a logged critical error in there that'll tell you what went wrong and give you a clue.

Start - type reliability history.

6 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Did you maybe mess with any of your GPU overclock settings before this happened, because that sounds like what happens when you crank up the memory way higher than it can handle. Screen goes black, the system won't respond to anything you do, but the lights and fans stay on. That's exactly what happens in that scenario.

Did you maybe see even quick artifacting right before it happened?

That looks like starting up a Nes cartridge without blowing in it first :P

Even if this is what happened, 

I wouldn't worry too much.

As long as you didn't crank the voltage way up or cause it to overheat, it's not really going to hurt it if you cranked something like the memory too high once.

Assuming that's what it is of course.

If you want to know more,

maybe check out your reliability history and see what that says at the time that the crash happened.

There could be a logged critical error in there that'll tell you what went wrong and give you a clue.

Start - type reliability history.

12 hours ago, Airdragonz said:

Most likely a software bug. You should be fine. As long as you were able to restart manually and everything works, it's fine. 

The gpu is not overclocked at all. Everything is stock except for the idle temp issue, which actually under clocks the gpu if the load is below a set amount. I set that amount at 15 percent.

Today while running a benchmark (I ran several) the system BSOD. I'll include a pic I took. The system restarted itself, so it wasn't this lock up that the other one had.

IMG_20180406_171641.thumb.jpg.4260f818f686ef7f0a085370ad581cc6.jpg

1 hour ago, Sin Stalker said:

The gpu is not overclocked at all. Everything is stock except for the idle temp issue, which actually under clocks the gpu if the load is below a set amount. I set that amount at 15 percent.

Today while running a benchmark (I ran several) the system BSOD. I'll include a pic I took. The system restarted itself, so it wasn't this lock up that the other one had.

IMG_20180406_171641.thumb.jpg.4260f818f686ef7f0a085370ad581cc6.jpg

This looks like it may be a driver issue as is common when seeing nvlddmkm.sys errors. Be sure to uninstall ALL previous and new drivers then set up the new card from scratch. I've seen some people recommend DDU as a good utility for ensuring complete removal of previously installed drivers/software. Once you've done that then install a fresh set of drivers directly from NVIDIA and go from there.

6 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

This looks like it may be a driver issue as is common when seeing nvlddmkm.sys errors. Be sure to uninstall ALL previous and new drivers then set up the new card from scratch. I've seen some people recommend DDU as a good utility for ensuring complete removal of previously installed drivers/software. Once you've done that then install a fresh set of drivers directly from NVIDIA and go from there.

I used the Nvidia installer and chose fresh install. So I believe it fully removed the previous drivers. Am I wrong?

While it should have from everything I've seen in the forums windows 10 is a right pain about it. Also, a clean install doesn't necessarily mean that it removes all previous installs, only that it overwrites any and all existing files removing any settings you may have previously changed, this does not mean that it overwrites all files, only the files that are getting updated and config files. A new GPU can be a big change for windows sometimes and cause big or small headaches depending on if you're changing card brands altogether, changing the board slot to which the GPU is connected, and a couple other small details here and there. Personally, when I make a change that I believe the system might see as significant, I'll usually reinstall my OS completely with all up to date drivers downloaded directly from the manufacturers website(s). If you want to avoid the reinstall then I would suggest using DDU as I've seen suggested so many times already. Like I said before, this seems to be a common issue for Windows 10, especially when changing GPUs.

On 4/7/2018 at 4:53 AM, Sin Stalker said:

I used the Nvidia installer and chose fresh install. So I believe it fully removed the previous drivers. Am I wrong?

No, it doesn't always work that way.

That's why DDU exists.

It's perfectly safe to use.

Just follow the instructions closely and use it in safe mode like they say:

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

15 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

No, it doesn't always work that way.

That's why DDU exists.

It's perfectly safe to use.

Just follow the instructions closely and use it in safe mode like they say:

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/

On 4/7/2018 at 8:28 AM, Spyder1384 said:

While it should have from everything I've seen in the forums windows 10 is a right pain about it. Also, a clean install doesn't necessarily mean that it removes all previous installs, only that it overwrites any and all existing files removing any settings you may have previously changed, this does not mean that it overwrites all files, only the files that are getting updated and config files. A new GPU can be a big change for windows sometimes and cause big or small headaches depending on if you're changing card brands altogether, changing the board slot to which the GPU is connected, and a couple other small details here and there. Personally, when I make a change that I believe the system might see as significant, I'll usually reinstall my OS completely with all up to date drivers downloaded directly from the manufacturers website(s). If you want to avoid the reinstall then I would suggest using DDU as I've seen suggested so many times already. Like I said before, this seems to be a common issue for Windows 10, especially when changing GPUs.

Never heard of DDU. Who makes it? Is it a Microsoft program? 

50 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Never heard of DDU. Who makes it? Is it a Microsoft program? 

Made by Guru3D, can't say I've used DDU personally, but I've used other Guru3D software. The software should be safe to use and has been found to correct a lot of display driver related problems regarding Windows 10.

7 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

Made by Guru3D, can't say I've used DDU personally, but I've used other Guru3D software. The software should be safe to use and has been found to correct a lot of display driver related problems regarding Windows 10.

Actually, it's made by wagnardsoft.

Guru3D just provides another download for it like with everything else they do that with.

Here's the official site:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Everyone uses it for this stuff. Very common suggestion for troubleshooting display drivers.

It's fine.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:33 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

Actually, it's made by wagnardsoft.

Guru3D just provides another download for it like with everything else they do that with.

Here's the official site:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Everyone uses it for this stuff. Very common suggestion for troubleshooting display drivers.

It's fine.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:10 PM, Spyder1384 said:

I just went to device manager and removed the drivers manually. Then rebooted and installed the nvidia drivers again. Worked without that program.  

Thank you for the help.

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

I just went to device manager and removed the drivers manually. Then rebooted and installed the nvidia drivers again. Worked without that program.  

Thank you for the help.

Glad to hear that worked out for you. I'm Happy to have helped.   :)

...Also, Please don't forget to mark this issue as "Solved".   Thanks 

5 hours ago, Spyder1384 said:

...Also, Please don't forget to mark this issue as "Solved".   Thanks 

How?

9 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

How?

As nothing is really clear in the "How to Mark Solved" page. I believe you (as the original poster) should see an option if you mouse over the gray heart at the bottom right of any individual post. In doing this I also would think that it's set up for you to do this on the "Best Answer" post as well.

I can't be certain as I've never started a thread here and only original posters and moderators can see the additional option(s).