Acer Aspire 7738 randomly shuts down

ItzRuben

Hello, I got a laptop from a good friend. there
seems nothing wrong with it but when the laptop is used more intensively he goes out. I think the problem is with the video card, but I'm not sure.

(I can’t get the text smaller sorry)

What do you mean exactly by 'he goes out' and could you elaborate more on the laptop being 'used more intensively' ?

Generally if a graphics card is failing you'll see artifacting (broken 3D polygons or multi-coloured bars, lines, etc. on the screen).

You may also experience crashes; a blue screen with nvlddmkm.sys listed as the cause, or a sudden black screen with the desktop reappearing a few moments later and the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" appearing.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

If it just powers off with no warning, it sounds like it may be an emergency shutdown.  Usually it's due to overheating, which you can probably confirm through monitoring tools.

Given the age of the laptop, I'd just open that sucker up, clean it, make sure the fans are working, and reapply any thermal paste if possible.  If no luck, I'd just toss it or sell it as is.

By “intensive tasks” i mean thing like minecraft, youtube (i know not that demanding but it uses the gpu more than normal) And i know how a gpu fails (happened a lot of times) but it with gpu things the laptop just simply powers off or so, instantly black screen, fans turn off.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

If it just powers off with no warning, it sounds like it may be an emergency shutdown.  Usually it's due to overheating, which you can probably confirm through monitoring tools.

Given the age of the laptop, I'd just open that sucker up, clean it, make sure the fans are working, and reapply any thermal paste if possible.  If no luck, I'd just toss it or sell it as is.

Damn i am stupid sometimes (- :

i totally forgot to apply thermal paste (cpu and gpu) I am wondering how i didn’t think about it.... and because it’s a “strong gpu” in that time it gets probably pretty hot, i will try openhardwaremonitor with minecraft running in the same time. I will keep you up to date!

Yeah, overheating is the problem.....  i just started openhardwaremonitor and the cpu temperature is between 90 - 110C under load.