NVIDIA Volta; Worth the wait?

Based on the Pascal architecture release date two years ago, I expect to see NVIDIA release the anticipated Volta microarchitecture for their consumer graphics card (GTX series). I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the GTX 1080 now or wait for the Volta-based GTX 1180. The new architecture is expected to increase performance while decreasing power consumption. Please only respond if you know what you are talking about or can provide actual advice.

3 minutes ago, Qwright10 said:

Based on the Pascal architecture release date two years ago, I expect to see NVIDIA release the anticipated Volta microarchitecture for their consumer graphics card (GTX series). I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the GTX 1080 now or wait for the Volta-based GTX 1180. The new architecture is expected to increase performance while decreasing power consumption. Please only respond if you know what you are talking about or can provide actual advice.

Consumers may not even have Volta, it's suspected that it's a different architecture than Enthusiast.

Ampere* GTX 2080*

The GTX 1080 Ti and the GTX 2080 will be fairly close to each other, the gap will be smaller than it was maxwell to pascal, mind the process is just going from 16nm to 12nm instead of 28nm down to 16.

If anything this is a polishing much the same way Kaby Lake was to Skylake, so the difference probably isn't worth waiting should you need something now or have a good deal the way I see it.

The TITAN V is the best case scenario already having such an insane amount of cuda cores and overkill memory for gaming needs, too much to be practical on the mainstream market thus why the card's so expensive and even drop Geforce branding altogether.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Currently new gaming-series graphics cards are estimated to come out in Q3 (July?) or Q4. Can you wait that long? Do you have the money now? Do you think GTX 1080 will (not) be enough power for your needs?

Secondly, current rumors say that prices will be even higher (even at MSRP) than current ones. 

With an alleged 20% higher cost of GDDR6, graphics card board partners -- and by extension consumers -- could end up paying more than ever at launch. Even at MSRP.

Sources: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-11-series-launching-around-july-gddr6-mass-production-timeline-confirms/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/03/new-nvidia-gaming-gpus-in-2018-but-dont-expect-low-prices/

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Ampere* GTX 2080*

Thought they went with Turing

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Secondly, current rumors say that prices will be even higher (even at MSRP) than current ones. 

That always happens when a new memory process is made, DRR4 for instance basically started off at the crazy prices it is now then calmed down only to spike due to demand.

The reason memory prices have spiked isn't due to costs its due to demand, which will likely still be very high for a number of reasons.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Currently new gaming-series graphics cards are estimated to come out in Q3 (July?) or Q4. Can you wait that long? Do you have the money now? Do you think GTX 1080 will (not) be enough power for your needs?

Sources: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-11-series-launching-around-july-gddr6-mass-production-timeline-confirms/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/03/new-nvidia-gaming-gpus-in-2018-but-dont-expect-low-prices/

I do think the GTX 1080 will provide more than enough power for my needs, and the price is already at the top of my budget. Keeping this in mind, I will likely purchase the ASUS ROG Strix 1080 when the price drops a little bit. 

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ampere*

What should I correct to ampere?

Just now, Qwright10 said:

What should I correct to ampere?

No, there is no official name for it atm people will understand what you mean by volta

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

No, there is no official name for it atm people will understand what you mean by volta

OOOOh, I understand now...

If you can wait, I'd rather be patient until the GTX 1180 / 2080 will be released and buy the GTX 1080 then. It will be a lot cheaper than now also keeping in mind that many companies just began to build ASIC miners that will not use Nvidias GPU chips. This will also lower the prices at Q3 or Q4.

GPU stocks just now starting to stabilize.

Vega turned out to be less of a threat then anticipated.

Nvidia is in no hurry.  They don't need to be.

I'd do GTX1080 if you can find one in your budget.

Just now, Hip said:

If you can wait I'd rather wait until the GTX 1180 / 2080 will be released and buy the GTX 1080 then. It will be a lot cheaper than now also keeping in mind that many companies just began to build ASIC miners that will not use Nvidias GPU chips. This will also lower the prices at Q3 or Q4.

I also was considering buying the GTX 1080 after the architecture release to take advantage of the price drop.

Normally I would tell you just to upgrade now however 2 things make me hold off on this, firstly GPU pricing still hasn't stabilized and thus you're going to get less value atm, second ray tracing tech seems to be Nvidia's focus and their new designs will enable that functionality and thus current cards will be somewhat left behind.

But performance wise it is quite clear the jump will be significant once again if the Titan V is anything to go by, but the price jump might also be more than normal, realistically if you can wait it may be better to do so this gen  more so than normal but keep in mind that GPU prices might not be stable when "volta" launches.

23 minutes ago, Qwright10 said:

I think it’s worth the wait. 

Here’s the leaked spec sheet of the 1180 TI.

It’s expected to crush the 1080 TI and even surpass the Titan V for around $759.99, so...yeah.

A6CB16A9-5FF6-4816-9782-839665690E60.png

7 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

I think it’s worth the wait. 

Here’s the leaked spec sheet of the 1180 TI.

It’s expected to crush the 1080 TI and even surpass the Titan V for around $759.99, so...yeah.

A6CB16A9-5FF6-4816-9782-839665690E60.png

Fake

9 hours ago, Qwright10 said:

I do think the GTX 1080 will provide more than enough power for my needs, and the price is already at the top of my budget. Keeping this in mind, I will likely purchase the ASUS ROG Strix 1080 when the price drops a little bit. 

I'm also interested in Asus 1080 Strix. Price is on the high side, at 815USD in Romania.

AMD Vega was truly a disappointment.  Now waited since last summer but realising it is Xmas sales time in Taiwan.  I suppose this is now it is.  Long wait thru the various release machinations.  After Vega have had this approach to business opportunism.